U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,185,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I have a 1-bedroom apartment, about 650 square feet. In the summer months, my household electric bill is typically about $90-100/month when I'm working from home. I did just get one noticeably higher than that ($120, I think), but problems with my a/c for that period are probably to blame. Other times of year, my bill runs $50-70, I think. I seldom use the a/c in wintertime, but I regularly need the heat.
Good point about working from home. Bills are higher the more you are inside. I'm retired, and would probably spend a fair amount of time at home inside when it's super hot, so that's a factor in estimating average electricity usage.

And another factor is the efficiency of the AC unit. Older models can be less efficient and more costly to run.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 09:27 PM

6,235 posts, read 9,390,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Excellent info. All electric apartments are probably the norm in a place like AZ. Michigan has natural gas for heating in the winter and of course electric for AC, but that's pretty minimal compared to a state like AZ.

I like ceiling fans a lot, they really make a big difference in warm weather.
The primary use for gas service in the Phoenix and Tucson areas is for water heating. Gas hookups for cooking are not included standard with most homebuilders (they are usually an extra cost option), and most homes are heated with heat pumps (although since the early 2010s there has been somewhat a trend by homebuilders to go back to gas furnaces for comfort reasons while using more efficient air conditioning units).

Old 08-17-2020, 12:37 PM

6,004 posts, read 2,832,716 times
I have a 3/2 older mobile in SW Tucson, with propane furnace, water heater, and stove.

Last summer, my highest electric bill was $165. This summer is hotter than last, and my July bill was about $200. We run the A/C all the time, 80 during the day, 74 at night.

200 gallon propane tank gets filled on average every 9 months, costing $400+ each time, plus $90/year tank rental.

Water comes out of the tap at 85° during the summer; you hardly need a water heater. Our little 1000 gallon swimming pool gets up to 105° on hot days, cools down to 90° by 11 pm.

Keep doing your research. Sometimes it even snows here!

Old 08-17-2020, 01:36 PM

9,512 posts, read 28,489,426 times
Quote:
And another factor is the efficiency of the AC unit. Older models can be less efficient and more costly to run.

A HUGE FACTOR, Xz2y . . .

A couple years ago when I upgraded my 15 year old (still working just fine) Heat Pump to a new unit with a higher SEER Rating, my TEP bill dropped roughly in half.

GOOD LUCK.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The primary use for gas service in the Phoenix and Tucson areas is for water heating. Gas hookups for cooking are not included standard with most homebuilders (they are usually an extra cost option), and most homes are heated with heat pumps (although since the early 2010s there has been somewhat a trend by homebuilders to go back to gas furnaces for comfort reasons while using more efficient air conditioning units).
I'm not familiar with heat pumps, but thanks for mentioning them. Gas for water heating makes sense. Gas in the midwest is relatively inexpensive, compared to the northeast due to fewer pipelines.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I have a 3/2 older mobile in SW Tucson, with propane furnace, water heater, and stove.

Last summer, my highest electric bill was $165. This summer is hotter than last, and my July bill was about $200. We run the A/C all the time, 80 during the day, 74 at night.

200 gallon propane tank gets filled on average every 9 months, costing $400+ each time, plus $90/year tank rental.

Water comes out of the tap at 85° during the summer; you hardly need a water heater. Our little 1000 gallon swimming pool gets up to 105° on hot days, cools down to 90° by 11 pm.

Keep doing your research. Sometimes it even snows here!
Snow????? Lol Thanks for mentioning it!

From the National Weather Service:

"The last time a measurable dusting of snow fell in Tucson, was on Feb. 27, 2011, according to the National Weather Service's Tucson office. The city has had 71 days of measurable snowfall (more than 0.1 inches, or 25 mm) and 165 days of trace snowfall since record-keeping began in 1894."

Old 08-17-2020, 08:49 PM

6,004 posts, read 2,832,716 times
Quote:
Snow????? Lol Thanks for mentioning it!

From the National Weather Service:

"The last time a measurable dusting of snow fell in Tucson, was on Feb. 27, 2011, according to the National Weather Service's Tucson office. The city has had 71 days of measurable snowfall (more than 0.1 inches, or 25 mm) and 165 days of trace snowfall since record-keeping began in 1894."
That's interesting. We got about 3" of snow in February 2019. But we're a mile or so outside city limits, and at 2500' elevation. I was under the impression that much of Tucson got at least a little snow that day.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:45 AM

3,461 posts, read 8,625,784 times
Quote:
That's interesting. We got about 3" of snow in February 2019. But we're a mile or so outside city limits, and at 2500' elevation. I was under the impression that much of Tucson got at least a little snow that day.
You are correct, and I walked to the store that morning and could see my footprints left in the streets in mid-town Tucson when I returned the same way home.

Regarding heat pumps, they are a good choice for AC and heat in Tucson. I live in a well insulated downstairs apartment with double pane windows. After previously living in a poorly insulated masonry apartment building with single pane windows, cooled only by a swamp cooler, I realized why the rent was cheap. Now, I gladly pay a few hundred more per month for the comfort of no big indoor temperature swings in either summer or winter.

Old 08-19-2020, 05:22 PM

3,930 posts, read 1,598,632 times
Quote:
We live just north of Vail and had 6 inches of heavy wet snow that morning. Our roof is flat and I had to climb up there when the sun came out to move the slush from a couple of blocked gutter drains so the water could run off.

A couple of months prior we joked with a neighbor that we had left our snow shovels in Colorado when we moved down here.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:17 AM

3,461 posts, read 8,625,784 times
I just got my TEP bill for mid July to mid August, when almost every afternoon the temp was well above 100F. The new bill is $62, not bad for peak summer. My well insulated 1 BR apartment is all electric (water heater, AC, range). It faces north, and is downstairs. I normally turn on the AC from about 1-2 pm until 8-9 pm. Right now, the windows are open, letting in the somewhat cool morning air, and the ceiling fans are spinning.

I am guessing the water heater is not using much power, since the intake tap water temp is almost lukewarm. I don't use much hot water this time of year. For a shower, I rinse off with cool water, soap and scrub, and rinse off with cool water again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson