Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM

21 posts, read 163,074 times

Advertisements

I am selling my house in Tucson and have accepted an offer from a buyer. I was wondering if Arizona law allows a seller to cancel a purchase contract after signing it. Is it only the buyer who can cancel if he doesn't like what he sees in the inspection? There's a line in the contract that says either party can "exercise his right of cancellation as allowed herein," but I didn't see anything that describes the reasons a seller can cancel.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I know I should be asking my agent this question, but since he is representing both the buyer and seller I don't feel comfortable asking him.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:42 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Nope. Not unless a buyer violates a piece of the contract. So, for instance, if it says that the buyer must secure financing by a certain date, you could technically cancel if they didn't do it by that date (although most sellers would work with the buyers on that...). Or, if the buyers do an inspection and find a bunch of things wrong and ask you to fix some of them (totally reasonable and the way it usually works), you could flat out say no, you won't fix anything. That wouldn't allow YOU to cancel, but they might exercise their right to cancel if you were being unreasonable on that...

If it could be cancelled at will the contract wouldn't mean anything.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirlAZ View Post
I am selling my house in Tucson and have accepted an offer from a buyer. I was wondering if Arizona law allows a seller to cancel a purchase contract after signing it. Is it only the buyer who can cancel if he doesn't like what he sees in the inspection? There's a line in the contract that says either party can "exercise his right of cancellation as allowed herein," but I didn't see anything that describes the reasons a seller can cancel.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I know I should be asking my agent this question, but since he is representing both the buyer and seller I don't feel comfortable asking him.
Interesting question -

The seller cannot unilaterally cancel a contract under Arizona law.

A Seller can cancel a contract if the Buyer breaches the contract. AND, assuming you are using the Arizona Association of REALTORS Residential form contract, before either party can cancel (for the breach of the other party) they must first provide a "cure notice" giving the party in breach 3 days to "cure" (fix / remedy) the breach.

Now, let me give you a "what if". What if the contract provides for an appraisal and the value given by that appraisal is for less than the contract price. Does the seller have to adjust to the appraised value? No. Can the seller tell the buyer that the contract is for XXX dollars and if the buyer wants to proceed, that will have to be the price? Yes. If the buyer does not want to proceed, may the seller cancel at this point? Yes.

Generally speaking, unless there was a lack of good faith on the part of the buyer - for instance, failure to deposit an earnest money check, or failure to make a loan application etc., the seller cannot simple "cancel"

Hope this helps

Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
All the above are valid responses. Simply put a contract is a contract that is legally binding unless there are agreed stipulations to it that cannot be met. Buyer or sellers remorse does not qualify.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 PM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
Everything above is correct and valid. Now do sellers cancel contracts in real life? You betcha.

If the seller decided to back out of the contract, the buyer could legally sue for "specific performance" and force the seller to sell the house per the contract. But most times the buyer doesn't want to deal with the time, effort, and cost that would take, and usually what happens is the earnest deposit (if any) is returned to the buyer and they move on with their home search after a few choice words for the seller.

If you have questions like this feel free to call your agent's broker, he should gladly answer any questions you may have.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
after a few choice words for the seller
LOL, can't rep ya right now, but I owe you one. Nice euphemism!

Old 05-02-2008, 10:57 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
Interesting thread... I assumed what everyone's saying, but it's good to know anyway (not that I plan on selling - or backing out of a contract - anytime soon).

Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 39,625 times
if seller cancels, is buyers agent still due their commission ?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:52 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirlAZ View Post

Do you have to cancel? Obviously things to consider are too refuse to do any repairs give any extensions etc. If you don't trust your agent you also should consider speaking to an attorney(as financially it in his best interest to get a deal done and he may or may not be representing you).

Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 PM

135 posts, read 515,660 times
In the case of most real estate deals, once you and the seller have signed a contract, neither party can back out without consequences. There are some contracts, however, that have clauses that allow a seller (or buyer) to cancel if certain conditions are not met.

Most conditions in a real estate contract are designed to protect the buyer. For example, you may make an offer conditional upon being approved for a mortgage, or pending a home inspection. If your financing falls through, or the inspector finds a termite infestation, these clauses allow you to get out of the deal without penalty.

Sellers may include similar “escape clauses” in the contract. In situations where a house is part of an estate sale, for example, the contract might state that the deal must be approved by other family members. If you accept this condition when you sign, the seller is able to back out if the condition isn’t met.

When a seller attempts to back out of a contract without such conditions, however, a buyer may be able to sue for financial damages. The buyer may even be able to get the court to order the seller to fulfill the terms of the contract. (The seller’s real estate agent, too, may be able to sue for his or her commission.) The specific consequences will depend upon the terms of the contract and the state you live in, but, in general, a seller is not entitled to renege because of a change of heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson