Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 28,950 times

Advertisements

hi, I'm gonna be down there for 2 years, wondering if anyone knows any nice places very close to U of A, ideally, pet friendly (small dog), and gated community if possible..

I heard sam hughes is nice, and the "foothills" but not having much luck..

ideally, I want to be as close as possible to the school..

thank you...

and is Arizona that dangerous? I heard phoenix had more kidnappings than mexico city last year..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatvibzy View Post
hi, I'm gonna be down there for 2 years, wondering if anyone knows any nice places very close to U of A, ideally, pet friendly (small dog), and gated community if possible..

I heard sam hughes is nice, and the "foothills" but not having much luck..

ideally, I want to be as close as possible to the school..

thank you...

and is Arizona that dangerous? I heard phoenix had more kidnappings than mexico city last year..
I'm guessing you're renting?

Sam Hughes and the Foothills definitely are nice places, you probably wont find much for rent in Sam Hughes though, and Foothills is a bit of a drive to the U. You might want to have a look at Rentals.com, this site helped me when I was last looking for a place.

Arizona is no more dangerous than any other border state. Phoenix did indeed have a record year when it came to kidnappings, however it can be directly attributed to the drug/people trade coming up from Mexico.

Don't do drugs or smuggle them, and don't smuggle people over the border, and you should not have to worry about being kidnapped - anymore so than anyone else in the country should.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
you probably wont find much for rent in Sam Hughes though
I think the guest houses in Sam Hughes can work quite nicely for people who don’t mind the landlords living on the same property.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think the guest houses in Sam Hughes can work quite nicely for people who don’t mind the landlords living on the same property.

True, but within the last month I took a trip through Sam Hughes looking for rentals. Not a single one when I went through - at least that I saw.

The thing with the affluent neighborhoods: I've noticed that with the current economy, people are not moving out - even if they have the means to.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
True, but within the last month I took a trip through Sam Hughes looking for rentals. Not a single one when I went through - at least that I saw.

The thing with the affluent neighborhoods: I've noticed that with the current economy, people are not moving out - even if they have the means to.
I don't know. They always show up on craigslist:

classifieds - craigslist

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I don't know. They always show up on craigslist:

classifieds - craigslist
I am thinking of a different neighborhood.

Don't mind me.

/whistles while walking away

Old 06-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing you're renting?

Sam Hughes and the Foothills definitely are nice places, you probably wont find much for rent in Sam Hughes though, and Foothills is a bit of a drive to the U. You might want to have a look at Rentals.com, this site helped me when I was last looking for a place.

Arizona is no more dangerous than any other border state. Phoenix did indeed have a record year when it came to kidnappings, however it can be directly attributed to the drug/people trade coming up from Mexico.

Don't do drugs or smuggle them, and don't smuggle people over the border, and you should not have to worry about being kidnapped - anymore so than anyone else in the country should.
yes I'll be renting, it's a 2 year graduate program, so I'll be going back to vancouver during semesters, but I'll keep the place..

I also have small dog, I've read stuff about rattle snakes, is this something I should worry about if my dog is off leash? sorry guys.. I'm just nervous about moving to a new place that I'm not familiar with..

also, is Sam Hughes an area or one specific building?

I'd prefer someplace that is a gated community, and it would be nice if they had security..

I've just heard that near U of A, it's very easy to find a nice place, but just as easy to find a place thats very dodgy..
I talked to one guy who said all his neighbors had meth labs, so I'd like to stay away from those areas..

if you guys know any nice street names, that are close, I would appreciate that..I'm gonna check them out on craigslist, and also gonna check out the website someone recommended..

I saw an area called "Quail Ridge Apartments" that are pet friendly and gated... which according to google maps is a 10 minute drive..

anyone have anything good or bad to say about that place??

thanks a lot guys.. you don't know how much this is helping me..

Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatvibzy View Post
yes I'll be renting, it's a 2 year graduate program, so I'll be going back to vancouver during semesters, but I'll keep the place..

I also have small dog, I've read stuff about rattle snakes, is this something I should worry about if my dog is off leash? sorry guys.. I'm just nervous about moving to a new place that I'm not familiar with..

also, is Sam Hughes an area or one specific building?

I'd prefer someplace that is a gated community, and it would be nice if they had security..

I've just heard that near U of A, it's very easy to find a nice place, but just as easy to find a place thats very dodgy..
I talked to one guy who said all his neighbors had meth labs, so I'd like to stay away from those areas..

if you guys know any nice street names, that are close, I would appreciate that..I'm gonna check them out on craigslist, and also gonna check out the website someone recommended..

I saw an area called "Quail Ridge Apartments" that are pet friendly and gated... which according to google maps is a 10 minute drive..

anyone have anything good or bad to say about that place??

thanks a lot guys.. you don't know how much this is helping me..
Sam Hughes is a neighborhood. All older, very nice big houses.

Tucson Arizona Apartments - Home - Quail Ridge These apartments? They are pretty far from the U actually. probably a half hour or more drive during rush hour.

On craigslist just be careful. If you see a post that does not give an address, and or saying no app/credit check fees because you bring your own, it is a scam.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 PM

I forgot to give you the good stuff.

Have a look at these: Tucson University of Arizona District Apartments

As far as the gated thing goes - gated apartment complexes are not really any more secure than non gated.

I just moved out of some really expensive "prestigious" condos that were in a gated community. Most of the time, one of the two gates was broken and locked open so people could get through it. Other times, people would just wait on the street and tailgate in.

There were times when I would tailgate in because my gate opener remote thingy wouldn't work.

Also, about the snakes. You usually do not see snakes in the city proper. There is so much traffic/foot traffic in the U of A area that no snake would be anywhere near there. They are more scared of you, than you of them. Your dog should be fine. However check on the local leash laws (I dont know what they are).

I am an outdoorsy type person. I have spent a LOT of time in the surrounding deserts. I have only come across 3 rattlesnakes in the sticks. My dad has found a lot more than that but I think he's got some sort of curse when it comes to snakes.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I forgot to give you the good stuff.

Have a look at these: Tucson University of Arizona District Apartments

As far as the gated thing goes - gated apartment complexes are not really any more secure than non gated.

I just moved out of some really expensive "prestigious" condos that were in a gated community. Most of the time, one of the two gates was broken and locked open so people could get through it. Other times, people would just wait on the street and tailgate in.

There were times when I would tailgate in because my gate opener remote thingy wouldn't work.

Also, about the snakes. You usually do not see snakes in the city proper. There is so much traffic/foot traffic in the U of A area that no snake would be anywhere near there. They are more scared of you, than you of them. Your dog should be fine. However check on the local leash laws (I dont know what they are).

I am an outdoorsy type person. I have spent a LOT of time in the surrounding deserts. I have only come across 3 rattlesnakes in the sticks. My dad has found a lot more than that but I think he's got some sort of curse when it comes to snakes.
haha.. well, hope fully the curse isn't too bad..

wow..thanks a lot, I didn't realize that quail ridge was that far, I guess google earth doesn't account for traffic in rush hour..

thanks a lot for the info, it's very helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: