U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 11:46 AM

16 posts, read 12,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Had drinks with my brother last night and asked him to update me on curfew enforcement in Pima County. The gist of what he told me is that while the Pima Board of Supervisors might have passed something, it is somehow not a law that anyone can enforce. If my brother were to pull someone over, there is nothing that he can charge people with. He needs a statute with a number to reference. A speeding ticket has one code, a auto theft another code number, etc... The curfew does not have a code number attached to it. He can't just make up a rule on the spot to randomly charge people with.

Then to make things more interesting, because a new sheriff just got elected anyone over at PCSD that has the knowledge on how to work with the Pima County Board of Supervisors and create an enforceable code number has fled the department. Newly elected Nanos has declared war on anyone that is a captain or chief at PCSD and warned them to quit, retire or transfer to a different agency before he shows up.

The curfew is completely unenforceable.
Truth. All my friends are PCSD and they are not going to "enforce" anything. It's a joke, just like our city council and PCBS is...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 03:11 PM

58 posts, read 75,082 times
I am over 70 and only careful to the extent that I am every flu season, as everyone else. The government is scaring me much more than covid. Nothing makes sense anymore, rationality is gone. Without freedom, nothing else has much value. People in Arizona have not turned out to be as independent as I had thought.

Old 01-15-2021, 12:08 PM

From PCBS documents....

Section 1. Definitions.
1. “Curfew period” means the period beginning Tuesday, December 15, 2020 and
ending on when the Pima County Health Department first reports that the number
of confirmed Covid-19 infections in Pima County fall below 100 per 100,000
people, based on a 7-day moving average.

Looks like this dumb curfew will be in place for the foreseeable future (3 to 2 vote). Didn't work before, will not work now. Ridiculous. Phoenix has a higher infection rate per 100K, but apparently, they have chosen to do the right thing and not put in a "curfew". Our city/county government officials are the worst. RECALL all of them.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:55 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
The curfew has no teeth. If you are driving around and obeying all of the traffic laws, the chances of getting pulled over are slim to none. My brother hasn't pulled a single person over or written any violations for the curfew.

The new law to be concerned about is distracted driving. There is a new law banning cell phone use while driving. Talk to most cops and other than DUI, nothing irritates them more than cell phone use. The number of calls they have to go on because someone was texting and driving is growing. Plus the new county attorney is an avid cyclist and distracted driving is one of her pet peeves. It was one of her bullet points of things to enforce when she took over.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:56 AM

7,795 posts, read 5,164,093 times
Quote:
The curfew has no teeth. If you are driving around and obeying all of the traffic laws, the chances of getting pulled over are slim to none. My brother hasn't pulled a single person over or written any violations for the curfew.

The new law to be concerned about is distracted driving. There is a new law banning cell phone use while driving. Talk to most cops and other than DUI, nothing irritates them more than cell phone use. The number of calls they have to go on because someone was texting and driving is growing. Plus the new county attorney is an avid cyclist and distracted driving is one of her pet peeves. It was one of her bullet points of things to enforce when she took over.
It has basically shut down the bars on Congress/4th/University at night

Old 01-17-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Grmi66, I agree with you. I was more referencing the impact on businesses. I have good friends who own very successful businesses that are impacted tremendously by the 10pm-5am curfew.

This curfew does nothing to slow the spread....

Old 01-17-2021, 08:07 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,664,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArniBoy View Post
Grmi66, I agree with you. I was more referencing the impact on businesses. I have good friends who own very successful businesses that are impacted tremendously by the 10pm-5am curfew.

This curfew does nothing to slow the spread....
The part about business I can see. Went to a bar on Fourth Avenue the night before Thanksgiving because I knew that they had an outside patio. Was shocked to walk in on what is typically the second or third busiest night of the year for bars and there were two people inside: the bartender and my friend. Made sure I tipped the bartender handsomely once I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson