Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 AM

29,884 posts, read 11,477,422 times

Advertisements

So what do you think? Will this nightly curfew actually cut down on the spreading covid cases? Should the city do more or less in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 11:53 AM

3,819 posts, read 9,416,495 times
It won't change anything. My brother is in local law enforcement and they've been told to ignore it. The only thing it may change is closing time at some of the bars. Wouldn't be shocked that the only enforcement is a PR stunt with TV crews waiting in the wings when the mayor and some hesitant TPD officers raid at bar at 10:01PM somewhere. Then all the patrons drive down the road to a bar in Pima County.

Plus most people overestimate the actual size of Tucson. I have a Tucson address because our subdivision is on a county island, my neighbor was surprised when I told her that we actually live almost 10 miles north of Tucson.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:59 AM

30,574 posts, read 21,751,607 times
It's a Joke, but so is the way Tucson has been going.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:58 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,140,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
It won't change anything. My brother is in local law enforcement and they've been told to ignore it. The only thing it may change is closing time at some of the bars. Wouldn't be shocked that the only enforcement is a PR stunt with TV crews waiting in the wings when the mayor and some hesitant TPD officers raid at bar at 10:01PM somewhere. Then all the patrons drive down the road to a bar in Pima County.

Plus most people overestimate the actual size of Tucson. I have a Tucson address because our subdivision is on a county island, my neighbor was surprised when I told her that we actually live almost 10 miles north of Tucson.
I’m in Oro valley and it’s not exactly Vegas here. I doubt anyone will even notice a curfew

Old 12-08-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I’m in Oro valley and it’s not exactly Vegas here. I doubt anyone will even notice a curfew
I'm a stone's throw outside of OV, so in Pima County which has a voluntary curfew. Which as my brother pointed out means zero chance of law enforcement noticing or caring. On Thanksgiving he was flat out told by his superior officers to ignore any 911 calls from people calling in to report large gatherings. Instead he spent most of Thanksgiving responding to domestic violence calls. What a way to spend a holiday, taking people to jail to cool off for 24 hours because of an out of control fight with their partner. It's how he will spend Christmas Eve & Christmas as well. Huge spike in domestic violence calls during the past year.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:04 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,140,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I'm a stone's throw outside of OV, so in Pima County which has a voluntary curfew. Which as my brother pointed out means zero chance of law enforcement noticing or caring. On Thanksgiving he was flat out told by his superior officers to ignore any 911 calls from people calling in to report large gatherings. Instead he spent most of Thanksgiving responding to domestic violence calls. What a way to spend a holiday, taking people to jail to cool off for 24 hours because of an out of control fight with their partner. It's how he will spend Christmas Eve & Christmas as well. Huge spike in domestic violence calls during the past year.
I still have ties to Ca and no cops are enforcing anything Covid there either. This whole thing is all bark and no bite. In Ca lots of people have reached the end of their rope and have nothing to lose by staying open.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:28 AM

41 posts, read 63,413 times
It's virtue signaling by our incompetent and hostile to law enforcement mayor. I only hope we can recall her in the near future.

Lockdowns don't work, masks may or may not do anything, PRC tests are suspect....Covid has become a business. In Europe, lock downs are almost non-existent, even with climbing numbers. The era of rational thought is in the rear view mirror. Wearing masks and closing down bars is not going to make an impact on the over all progression/regression of Covid, but continuing to unlawfully place restrictions on US citizens and forcing businesses to continue to shutdown will have a staggering effect on the wellbeing of this town, and country. Covid is obviously very smart in that it knowns when I stand up, and when I sit down, when it's 9:59pm and when its 10pm. If only our city council and mayor where half as intelligent.

Keep our older folks safe, the rest of us should go about our lives and use rational reasoning in our decision making regarding Covid and any potential risks to ourselves and families. Life is short people, I lost my wife suddenly to an accident, blink of an eye and she was gone. Don't waste your lives in fear of a virus that you have a 99% (94% if you're 70+) chance or surviving from.

Covid Survival Rate (CDC)

0-19 year 99.997%
20-49 years 99.98%
50-69 years 99.5%
70+ years 94.6%

Last edited by ArniBoy; 12-09-2020 at 12:36 AM..

Old 12-10-2020, 06:08 AM

29,884 posts, read 11,477,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArniBoy View Post

Keep our older folks safe, the rest of us should go about our lives and use rational reasoning in our decision making regarding Covid and any potential risks to ourselves and families. Life is short people, I lost my wife suddenly to an accident, blink of an eye and she was gone. Don't waste your lives in fear of a virus that you have a 99% (94% if you're 70+) chance or surviving from.

Covid Survival Rate (CDC)

0-19 year 99.997%
20-49 years 99.98%
50-69 years 99.5%
70+ years 94.6%
There are about 90 million people with various conditions including their age that make them higher risk of complications from covid. Not just older people.

Its the leading cause of death at this moment. I don't live in fear of cancer or heart disease either but I don't smoke, avoid getting sunburned and eat right and exercise daily to lower my chances of ending up the victim of either of those causes. And I am going to live my life as normal as I can but avoid unnecessary contact with others until the pandemic is over. If someone has a jar of jellybeans and tells you 99 are safe and 1 has poison and will kill you. Are you going to reach in and grab a jellybean?

Most people I know in my age rage (50's-60's) are concerned about covid. No one wants to end up testing positive and then have real fear of how it might turn out. And dying or not dying is not the only metric. A percentage of people (I have read 20% or more) have long term effects like scarred lungs and some have had strokes and had limbs amputated.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:43 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,821,424 times
Curfew? We don't need no stinking curfew!!! I live in Green Valley, and down here, most people are off the road and in bed by 8 pm. No curfew required. I will say that the Tucson curfew will be about as effective as all the other covid rules have been (totally worthless). I think the city leaders (and any other gubment officials) should stay out of our lives to the largest extent possible, and let us be the free citizens they work for. I wish you all the best in recalling your feckless mayor!!!

Old 12-22-2020, 06:54 AM

Had drinks with my brother last night and asked him to update me on curfew enforcement in Pima County. The gist of what he told me is that while the Pima Board of Supervisors might have passed something, it is somehow not a law that anyone can enforce. If my brother were to pull someone over, there is nothing that he can charge people with. He needs a statute with a number to reference. A speeding ticket has one code, a auto theft another code number, etc... The curfew does not have a code number attached to it. He can't just make up a rule on the spot to randomly charge people with.

Then to make things more interesting, because a new sheriff just got elected anyone over at PCSD that has the knowledge on how to work with the Pima County Board of Supervisors and create an enforceable code number has fled the department. Newly elected Nanos has declared war on anyone that is a captain or chief at PCSD and warned them to quit, retire or transfer to a different agency before he shows up.

The curfew is completely unenforceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson