Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 04:33 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,014,764 times

Advertisements

I'm over near Swan/Grant/Richmont/TMC in a Mobile Home Co-op, we have one entrance @Grant, an entrance at the back with a gate, and 2 side gate pedestrian doors.
Recently, a few javelinas entered our community, they've eaten the garden produce from 2 of our residents. and we're perplexed as how to get them to leave.

One night, with a neighbor, we saw 2 of them, we opened up a side pedestrian gate door, and blocked it so it wouldn't close, and we saw one of them go out that door, but the other one didn't follow and went east instead.

We were figuring they wanted to escape but didn't know how.

Well, one resident spotted a javelina come through our entrance on Grant Road yesterday, so it appears they know how to leave here but are enjoying their stay here too much to leave. As busy as Grant Road is, if they're coming across Grant Road, I'm surprised they're not getting hit. There is a wash to the east but it's all fenced in all along the wash, all the way to Pima, but after that it's unfenced.

I know you can't kill these animals, but anyone know how to get them to leave?

Last Fall we had a couple skunks come into the community, but I believe they're gone now.

Last edited by tijlover; 01-18-2021 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 05:00 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
I know this likely won't help you, and you may have already seen it, but maybe you haven't:

https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/livingwith/javelina/

I would look around and see of any of your neighbors aren't securing their garbage or even intentionally feeding them. I know the latter sounds dumb but we had a woman here who was throwing out raw meat in her back yard to attract vultures.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,469,328 times
It's been a very dry year and I've noticed that the javelina in my neighborhood are traveling further into the subdivision from the desert looking for food. Generally it was only the first 2-3 houses close to the open desert that had problems, now I have them in my yard which is at least 20 houses away.

Secure your garbage and make sure nobody is covertly feeding them. On occasion I see people throwing watermelon rinds or other food bits into the desert behind their house.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:01 PM

You're all aware of mobile home skirting around the base of the mobile home. We have stray cats in our community and some feel sorry for them, feed them, give them water, so they take a few small skirting panels out so they'll have a place to sleep and keep cool in the summer time.

I didn't realize that once a stray cat becomes "adopted" in your neighborhood, you can never get rid of it.

So I'm sure that this gave the skunks a place to stay and perhaps the javelinas.

The Association needs to police this more, make sure all trailers have their skirting intact, that would certainly help.

I talked to one of the residents today, given we only have one open entrance onto Grant Road, that the javelinas are entering our community from Grant Road. If they are indeed crossing that busy Grant Road I'm surprised they make it across without getting hit.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:46 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,487,028 times
No, protect the animals from the moronic things people do. Animals need and deserve more rights than they get. Help the javelina, dogs, cats, skunks, all of them. Nurture them.

There's people that can only think about themselves and their need to eat them(animals). Protect, be kind, nurture the animals. There's people out there who steer their car's wheel to actually run over small cats, skunks, etc. I know, I know. I don't get it either, but morons like that exist among us.

Nurture the animals. Be kind to them. In any way you can. This blood-sucking, evil system of things is about ta bite the dust.

Good riddance.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:23 PM

10,282 posts, read 6,808,499 times
What about the "rights" of the plants? Those are being violated by evil javelina. Javelina must be stopped!

Maybe give the javelina a virus....

Except the gay javelina. NTTAWWT.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 01-23-2021 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 02-03-2021, 10:31 PM

The Javelina's are still in my community, creating lots of problems, so we've gotten a permit to allow someone to come in and trap them.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:50 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,328 times
[quote=elkotronics;60205217]No, protect the animals from the moronic things people do. Animals need and deserve more rights than they get. Help the javelina, dogs, cats, skunks, all of them. Nurture them.

Skunks too? Seriously? Ever been sprayed by one?

Old 02-04-2021, 02:37 PM

26,205 posts, read 49,007,205 times
They look like small pigs, but are not of the pig family, but still, I wonder, are these things "good eats"? Just asking ... for a friend.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:53 PM

I've never seen Javelina on the menu anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: