U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2021, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
683 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243

Advertisements

This was the experience of the winter storm from Green Valley, AZ.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDGf0zMYaE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2021, 11:48 AM
 
307 posts, read 168,196 times
Reputation: 919
Wow, those were big fluffy snowflakes! And pretty spectacular to see your blue sky later in the afternoon. Nice to see that much needed rain. Thanks for sharing this and stay warm-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2021, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
683 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Wow, those were big fluffy snowflakes! And pretty spectacular to see your blue sky later in the afternoon. Nice to see that much needed rain. Thanks for sharing this and stay warm-
Thanks for watching wildflowers27! Hey, we even got a little more rain last night, but not much more of a chance for at least the next 10 days. Yeah, that blue sky against the white mountains was really gorgeous! Glad you liked the video.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2021, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Sandy Eggo's North County
2,540 posts, read 836,890 times
Reputation: 3483
Enjoyed your video! Looks like Arizona has "Utah" snow flakes! (Large, and "dry.")

Beautiful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2021, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
20,279 posts, read 23,813,157 times
Reputation: 28051
One of my neighbors who has lived in Tucson for 50 years, told me, one winter day, 7 inches of snow was dumped on Tucson. Imagine that!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2021, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
683 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Enjoyed your video! Looks like Arizona has "Utah" snow flakes! (Large, and "dry.")

Beautiful!
Thanks for watching NORTY FLATZ, and yes, those were some BIG flakes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2021, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
683 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of my neighbors who has lived in Tucson for 50 years, told me, one winter day, 7 inches of snow was dumped on Tucson. Imagine that!
That would be my worst nightmare tijlover! ;-) I was really glad that all the snow was gone later the same day!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2021, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
20,279 posts, read 23,813,157 times
Reputation: 28051
From what my cousin tells me, who lives in Green Valley, true or false, the elevation of Green Valley is 3000 feet opposed to Tucson's 2450 feet. That "little" rise in elevation can make a difference.

And if it was snowing in Green Valley, you can well-imagine the snow was heavier in Nogales, at 3865 feet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2021, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Green Valley, AZ
683 posts, read 496,530 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
From what my cousin tells me, who lives in Green Valley, true or false, the elevation of Green Valley is 3000 feet opposed to Tucson's 2450 feet. That "little" rise in elevation can make a difference.

And if it was snowing in Green Valley, you can well-imagine the snow was heavier in Nogales, at 3865 feet.
Your cousin is correct! Much of Green Valley is around 3,000 feet in elevation or within a couple of hundred feet. And, yes, the difference in elevation of a few hundred feet can result in a significant difference in whether or not you get rain or snow!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2021, 11:09 AM
 
15,166 posts, read 25,972,880 times
Reputation: 22200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Your cousin is correct! Much of Green Valley is around 3,000 feet in elevation or within a couple of hundred feet. And, yes, the difference in elevation of a few hundred feet can result in a significant difference in whether or not you get rain or snow!

In mountainous regions, they generally announce at what levels snow is falling. For example, in San Diego, they will say that snow is falling at 4000 ft. That means that you will likely encounter snow at three points between San Diego and El Centro, CA.

In Green Valley, my experience has been that when snow hits, most people stay home ... except the Midwestern snowbirds as they think that they are experiences in snow. However, many of them do NOT have a lot of experience on UNTREATED roads as northern states generally salt their roads heavily. On the day of this snow, around 9 am, there were four vehicles in ditches between Pima Mine Road and Sahuarita Rd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top