Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:22 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a house closing and spoke with the title officer. They told me that in a normal market, Tucson should have around 8500-9000 active listings, currently we sit at about 1000. The market gets tighter at the under $275,000 market with current estimates of 250 or so homes on the market. Even million dollar homes are selling in weeks instead of months or years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 01:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi
Same thing has been happening in California for decades; outsiders drive up prices so native borns can't afford to stay. Maybe everybody should be required to stay in their home town forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Outsiders? You mean the Chinese, who if they pay $500k or more for a house, and stay there for 3 years, they automatically become US citizens? I had read one out of 5 buying homes in CA are Chinese.

If you read the California forums, specifically in the Bay Area, there are posters who are longtime locals who discuss recent teardowns/rebuilds, going for $1 million plus, in their neighborhoods that are being snapped up like its nothing. Who is buying these? Not Chinese. Although completely anecdotal, they are reportedly being purchased by out of state wealthy Americans.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:48 PM

41 posts, read 63,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
.... wanted a quieter life in this area.
Quieter life?!? If Tucson is any quieter, it would be the moon.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:16 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArniBoy View Post
Quieter life?!? If Tucson is any quieter, it would be the moon.
Depends on your definition of quiet. I lived in Tucson for a good part of the time from 2017 until last October. There are many noisy parts of Tucson, especially within a mile or so or the main railroad tracks, interstate 10 or 19, or within a few blocks of the main cross town surface streets that carry the bulk of the vehicle traffic. As a renter, it mean that the bulk of apartment locations were out of my consideration, because most are located along the main streets. Few apartments are set back in the quieter residential areas.

If I decide to return to Tucson to stay long term, I'll look for a small rental house, condo or duplex that is further from the main streets to find a quiet place. I favor the east side, roughly between Pantano & Houghton Rd, mostly to the north of 22nd St.

If definition of quiet is something like nightlife or entertainment, in Covid times that is true. No surprise there, but the same applies almost anywhere else on the planet. In non-Covid times, Tucson has a decent selection of activities, but you can't realistically compare any medium sized, somewhat isolated southwestern metro area to NYC, LA or Chicago for entertainment.

Old 02-14-2021, 06:33 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dump1567 View Post
I felt when I got to this area 2 years ago it was the best kept secret around. Homes were still cheap ($50K to $70K less than the Phoenix area) & would soon start increasing. Personally, I believe this area just started coming out of the 2007-2008 crash. Some home owners who bought in that time frame are just now breaking even on value or have a little equity built up now. This is what happened in Orange County, CA in 2013. It just takes longer in other areas depending on desirability.

With the COVID work from home crowd, job availability in this area isn't needed like it used to be. There's also a ton of Seniors who aren't job dependent moving here.

IMO, this area will continue to boom for the next few years. That's great for home values for those that own. More shopping, eating choices, Medical, and newer areas. Not so great for those getting priced out of the market & wanted a quieter life in this area.
Back, when I was pricing homes in Tucson in 2000-2001, prices were very similar to Phoenix, and I will let others chime in, but historically, it is a fairly recent phenomenon that Tucson is somewhat less than Phoenix for a very similar home. Phoenix recovered much better from the 08 GFC. BTW, I ended up getting a 3/1/2cc on 1.02 Acres with city water and tremendous views in Rio Rico for 47,500. It was a HUD home, but it was relatively well made on a ridge top lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson