U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 12:27 PM

687 posts, read 500,417 times

Advertisements

I was just returning from a walk when I saw some activity just up the street. When I took a closer look, I saw that the javelina had tipped over a neighbor's trash can and were rooting through the contents. From previous experience, I knew that trying to shoo them away would not work and could even be dangerous as you will see in the video. These animals may seem like plodding innocuous creatures, but they are actually quite agile, quick and strong. To top it off, they do have canine teeth over an inch long, and those teeth are not to be taken lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NzjMec1N6Y
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 10:00 PM

314 posts, read 171,065 times
A javelina smorgasbord. I seem to remember that you devised a way to secure your trash bins using bungee cords? Someone should make a product for wild animal proofing of trash bins. Maybe a strap that goes over the top with retractable clips that tightly hold it, in the way that Rubbermaid bins have those secure locks on either end. At least these neighbors used their bin -- I remember one of your past videos where the neighbor put out just the plastic bag of trash and it was scattered along the road.

A good reminder that these cuties are in fact wild. Thank you for posting this.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

6,081 posts, read 6,404,502 times
You neighbor needs to buy a bear proof bin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3vg...annel=ViralHog

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
A javelina smorgasbord. I seem to remember that you devised a way to secure your trash bins using bungee cords? Someone should make a product for wild animal proofing of trash bins. Maybe a strap that goes over the top with retractable clips that tightly hold it, in the way that Rubbermaid bins have those secure locks on either end. At least these neighbors used their bin -- I remember one of your past videos where the neighbor put out just the plastic bag of trash and it was scattered along the road.

A good reminder that these cuties are in fact wild. Thank you for posting this.
We do use bungee cords, but it does not always work! The javelina have VERY strong noses, and they have actually been able to pry open a bungeed trash can. The other issue is that the trash services with the automated can dumpers will not deal with bungee cords. We use a small service where the trash can emptying is a manual process and they will deal with the bungees.

Thanks for watching and your comments! Yes, most of the time, the javelina are pretty docile, but we do need to remember that they are wild and capable of severely injuring a person if that situation arose!

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You neighbor needs to buy a bear proof bin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3vg...annel=ViralHog
Interesting! I wish they would have shown what made it bear proof!!!

Old Today, 05:27 AM

20,287 posts, read 23,846,588 times
We still have the javelina's in our community. Traps were set, but did no good. A couple of javelina's butted their snouts into the skirting on the back of a mobile home here, just down the street, and they took up residence under her trailer.

I think the dryness of this year, fires in the mountains, play a part in this. Even tho' I'm in midtown (Swan/Grant) I've seen coyotes in the parking lot at Crossroads Festival shopping center. I'm not all that far from the Riito River and the mountains.

I'm a bit worried, walking my ferret on a leash at night.

Old Today, 05:32 AM

1,604 posts, read 472,908 times
You just never have a crossbow when you need one.

Old Today, 12:32 PM

2,545 posts, read 2,390,005 times
I once watched a bunch of javelinas go after the trash after tipping my cans and opening them. It made me wonder if there were some way to have them help out and free up space at the landfill. LOL

Old Today, 05:27 PM

1,604 posts, read 472,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I once watched a bunch of javelinas go after the trash after tipping my cans and opening them. It made me wonder if there were some way to have them help out and free up space at the landfill. LOL
While their population explodes. No thanks! That is bad trade off. I would go for more landfill if we could get rid of these pests.

Old Today, 10:44 PM

20,287 posts, read 23,846,588 times
We at least trapped one javelina today, and they came to get it! One down, one to go?

I've been worried taking my ferret for his evening walk, worried about the javelina's and coyotes, and tonite, I was walking across the street, along the sidewalk, and a hawk flew down right close to my ferret. So now I've got 3 worries on my ferret walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: