Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 10:23 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

With my brother visiting, we made a trip to Summerhaven, 27 miles, my first trip.

I was driving around Greece one time and I recall going up a mountain and it was zig-zag, hair-pinned curves all the way up. Why couldn't they have done that here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 05:36 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,979 times
The zig zag, or S curves, really slow you down.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:43 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
They have hiking trails that take you straight up, even going that route it's still 13 miles to Summerhaven. Plus Summerhaven isn't perched on top of one giant monolithic mountain, you have to navigate around numerous canyons. I've been in many of the canyons, there is no way you're getting a road in them. The 27 mile road to the top is honestly an engineering marvel and the fastest way to the top.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:37 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
They have hiking trails that take you straight up, even going that route it's still 13 miles to Summerhaven. Plus Summerhaven isn't perched on top of one giant monolithic mountain, you have to navigate around numerous canyons. I've been in many of the canyons, there is no way you're getting a road in them. The 27 mile road to the top is honestly an engineering marvel and the fastest way to the top.
I have pedaled my bicycle several times up the Mt Lemmon road, usually starting from the base near the intersection with Snyder Rd. One notices the subtle details about a road pedaling uphill at less than 9 mph, more so than sitting comfy in a car at 30 mph. I agree it is very well engineered mountain road, and don't know how it could have been done any better or any shorter. If you look at a map, Mt Lemmon is about 11 miles north of the intersection of Snyder Rd, plus about 1 1/2 miles higher elevation. Aside from boring an uphill tunnel, I don't know how it could possibly be any shorter distance. It follows the natural canyons, and if it were any steeper, vehicles would burn out their brakes on the way down. Or, trucks would not be able to make the climb to bring supplies up to the community of Summerhaven.

Few cities in the US or elsewhere have such close access to a wonderful mountain area like Tucson. Another excellent mountain road that is further from Tucson, but worth a trip (especially in the hot weather season) is to Mt Graham, which is southwest of Safford. It has no shortage of zig zags and turns!

Old 02-20-2021, 11:38 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
As i watched all these bicyclists going up and down the road to Summerhaven, I go to think about bike brakes. You'd surely have to carry a spare set of brakes, for if your brakes went out, going downhill, what on earth would you do!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-21-2021, 08:26 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I have pedaled my bicycle several times up the Mt Lemmon road, usually starting from the base near the intersection with Snyder Rd. One notices the subtle details about a road pedaling uphill at less than 9 mph, more so than sitting comfy in a car at 30 mph.
My parents used to live near the intersection of Tanque Verde and Catalina Hwy and I was a semi-elite bicycle racer in college. I've been up and down Mt Lemmon on a bike at least 500 times, including a few times doing the old Mt Lemmon Hill Climb Race up to the ski area. Agree that what you see at 12 MPH going up without a windshield to protect you allows you to see the subtle changes.

As far as going downhill, it's actually not that fast of a downhill on a bike, simply long. One, maybe two sections that were steep enough and straight enough to approach 40 MPH coming down. The steepest road I've ever done on a bike was State Route 77 coming from Globe and approaching Winkleman during a race back in the 80's. Chasing a breakaway and our chase group hit 63 MPH on old steel framed road bikes and sew up tires. It was nuts, think I had a death wish back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson