U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 08:57 PM
2sd 2sd started this thread

3 posts, read 1,749 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of retiring to Arizona and have started looking at 55+ communities. I'd like to stay away from the extreme Phoenix-area heat, but I certainly don't mind hot weather. I understand Tuscon is slightly cooler, and Saddlebrooke cooler still because of it's elevation. The average highs and lows look ideal to me. I see Marana, location of Continental Ranch Sunflower, is warmer. Of course, just by a few degrees. Are these temperature changes really noticeable? Is there other large 55+ communites with weather similar to Saddlebrooke that I should consider? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 09:41 AM

3,439 posts, read 7,714,547 times
I just happen to live in between both communities. It will feel cooler in the morning in Saddlebrooke because of its topography. It's slightly higher in elevation, sits on a windy plain and because cool temperatures collect in the water drainages coming off the Catalinas. As an example, I go running or hiking in Catalina State Park almost weekly. At daybreak the difference in temperature at the entrance on Oracle Road and trailhead parking 1.5 miles away can be a 20 degree difference. All the cool air drops off the mountain at night and collects in the large CDO wash. This bubble of cool air remains until about 60-90 minutes after sunrise.

Marana was built on old farmland and fairly removed from any mountains that will influence the temperatures.

I think there is also a 55+ community in Oro Valley that is part of the Rancho Vistoso development.

One other thing to consider. I work for a company that sells Medicare Advantage plans, Saddlebrooke is not in Pima County. It is in Pinal County. The Pinal County Medicare plans are generally tied to Maricopa County(Phoenix). So might be a potential issue if you go to the doctor often.

Have a few friends that live in Saddlebrooke. As one of them joked, you move to Phoenix to retire and play golf. You retire to Saddlebrooke in order to hike, run and mountain bike. It is a very active community of retirees. Full of guys that were hardcore skiers and mountain sports enthusiasts that lived in Colorado or other mountainous spots. There is a group of 70+ aged rock climbers that still put up some impressive routes around here who live in Saddlebrooke.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:28 AM

9,510 posts, read 28,390,427 times

A major point to KEEP IN MIND, 2sd . . .

The Relative Humidity is every bit, if not more so, responsible for your comfort level vs the actual temperature.

For example . . . 100 Degree Temperature with 15% Relative Humidity weather is much more comfortable than 75 Degrees with 90% Humidity.

Numbers are great but just that . . . ONLY NUMBERS.

Old 02-25-2021, 04:41 AM

20,325 posts, read 23,913,008 times
Green Valley is about 600 feet higher in elevation than Tucson, it'll get you a couple degrees cooler in summer, but colder in winter. Pick your poison!

Old 02-26-2021, 11:52 PM
2sd 2sd started this thread

3 posts, read 1,749 times
Thanks for all the info! Cold surely doesn't scare me. Spent my whole life in Minnesota. A crisp morning run is lovely. But also spent plenty of time in the desert to know 100 is ok, 110 not so much. I don't want to be in a humid location nor do I want snow on the ground.
We are retiring young, just squeaking into the 55+ communities (or maybe a tad shy). Hiking, biking, tennis and an occasional round of golf is what we're looking for.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

4,915 posts, read 7,634,773 times
Sun City in Rancho Vistoso is in northern Oro Valley. Rancho Vistoso is a very large subdivision with many smaller subdivisions within it, but Sun City is the only 55+ community. It's very active with a golf course, pool, it's own library, a resident run gift shop selling resident made goods, lots and lots of classes, groups, activities and nice houses. I live in Rancho Vistoso, but not in Sun City. I think most of the homes are just two bedroom homes, and I wanted a three bedroom home. You can also check Zillow and check out Sun City for homes either sold or for sale to get an idea of the homes there. Many of the homes have gorgeous views of the Catalinas, and it's close to Catalina State Park for hiking, running, biking, etc. They have a Facebook page. Here's a link to their website.

https://www.suncityorovalley.com/

Last edited by Marcy1210; Yesterday at 12:09 AM.. Reason: added link

Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM

3,439 posts, read 7,714,547 times
[quote=2sd;60492974
We are retiring young, just squeaking into the 55+ communities (or maybe a tad shy). Hiking, biking, tennis and an occasional round of golf is what we're looking for.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like we are about the same age. Send me a PM if you want info on hiking and places to trail run around here. I can give you the lay of the land.

There is a group of mature runners that meets every Tuesday morning at Catalina State Park for a 60-90 minute run. Our numbers are dwindling and need a few more folks. But the group has been meeting for about 25 years.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

22,982 posts, read 12,343,170 times
I would say it is slightly noticeably cooler in Tucson area than Phoenix. For year-round climate, I think Tucson is better than Phoenix. Green Valley and Vail just outside of Tucson are a bit cooler than Tucson and Sonoita (45 minutes south of Tucson) is cooler still.

We are retired and living in Phoenix metro and really enjoying it here but we may sell our house and buy something in a higher elevation area in southern Arizona such as Sierra Vista or Vail. As avid bicyclists, The Loop bike trail in Tucson is a major plus for us.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

306 posts, read 107,041 times
Rio Rico is the best year around climate that I have lived in. I do like it on the warm side.. The slightly cooler Winters are well worth the tradeoff of no Hell like Summer.. many still only use swamp down there. Typically, I would see 120 in Phoenix, 108 in Tucson, and 103 up at 4300 feet in the RR hills. Nighttime lows even more different.

Old Today, 09:27 PM

11,783 posts, read 8,407,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

A major point to KEEP IN MIND, 2sd . . .

The Relative Humidity is every bit, if not more so, responsible for your comfort level vs the actual temperature.

For example . . . 100 Degree Temperature with 15% Relative Humidity weather is much more comfortable than 75 Degrees with 90% Humidity.

Numbers are great but just that . . . ONLY NUMBERS.
Sorry but this isn't accurate.

https://www.math.wichita.edu/~richardson/heatindex.html

Furthermore, since temperatures are measured in the shade... the radiant heat from the sun is what makes the desert uncomfortable.

Finally, even in the most humid places in the USA, 90% humidity levels are usually seen only at night or immediately following a rain. The average daytime humidity in the most humid places in the USA is roughly 60%. So daytime humidity at 90% is extremely rare and usually short lived.

As far as Tucson is concerned, the place that is in the sweet spot temperature wise (due to elevation) is on the backside of the Catalinas....Oracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson