U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 04:58 PM

699 posts, read 515,331 times

Advertisements

This is just a bit of the flavor of life in my neighborhood (Foothills 1) in Green Valley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzWXDuAvZHI&t=115s
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 05:49 PM

336 posts, read 185,050 times
One Javelina to the others: "Hey guys, let's go hang out at Bart's for lunch, he made us a salad bar!"

Last week's menu featured some of your Cow Tongue Prickly Pear, and sometime before that they were happily crunching on mesquite pods. It occurs to me their diet is healthier than mine. Your back yard looks really nice with that stone border curving around.

The afternoon group nap at the end is beyond adorable, lounging against the warmth of your wall. Very cute!

Old 03-08-2021, 06:15 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,545,470 times
I accidentally left my Christmas Cactus outside over night and the next day all that was left was a pot and dirt.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
One Javelina to the others: "Hey guys, let's go hang out at Bart's for lunch, he made us a salad bar!"

Last week's menu featured some of your Cow Tongue Prickly Pear, and sometime before that they were happily crunching on mesquite pods. It occurs to me their diet is healthier than mine. Your back yard looks really nice with that stone border curving around.

The afternoon group nap at the end is beyond adorable, lounging against the warmth of your wall. Very cute!
Yes, salad bar it was!!! They did not even call for a reservation for a party of 11, and NO TIP!!! Well, now I know what not to plant out in the open! Their diet is amazing! They must have cast iron stomachs!!! If you are speaking of the rows of small rocks where they were eating my plants, that was done by just raking up lose rocks, but I did orient them to try and slow the runoff in to the wash if we ever get meaningful rain again. The rocks you saw in the pictures at the end of the video, that was actually a planned project I was going to pay to have done, but I ended up doing it by myself and some help from a neighbor. The bigger rock is called rip rap, and I am going to do a video on that one of these days!

Yes, I also think seeing them all sleeping up against the house was pretty adorable. This will be the first summer since this building was finished in 2020. It is going to cast a huge shade shadow in the afternoon, and I think this will become a hangout for the javelina. Stay tuned! ;-)

Old 03-08-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I accidentally left my Christmas Cactus outside over night and the next day all that was left was a pot and dirt.
Awwww man!!! Sorry about your Christmas cactus Finper, but just as I experienced, javelina will eat what they can get to!!!

Old 03-11-2021, 11:49 AM

15,215 posts, read 26,099,386 times
My wife decided to start a garden in our courtyard. She had three yellow squash plants and finally, they had squashed ready to pick. She went out to pick them and they were gone - the squashes, the plants and even the roots.

The next week, she designed a gate between the carport and the courtyard that would keep javelinas out and we have had no problems since although they occasionally try to butt the gate open.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:17 PM

I'm sorry your wife didn't get to harvest her squash plants after raising them to where they were ready to pick. I bet they were beauties. The gate sounds like a smart workaround, now that the javelinas know the dinner fare in your courtyard is even more deluxe than over at Bart's. Yellow squash!! They must have thought they were in heaven. I hope she replants and has a bountiful harvest.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry your wife didn't get to harvest her squash plants after raising them to where they were ready to pick. I bet they were beauties. The gate sounds like a smart workaround, now that the javelinas know the dinner fare in your courtyard is even more deluxe than over at Bart's. Yellow squash!! They must have thought they were in heaven. I hope she replants and has a bountiful harvest.

Actually, the yellow squash that we did grow has been terrible. They are fairly small with a skin that is as hard as a gourd. They are not good. The ONLY good part about our plants was that they did throw off a lot of squash blossoms that can be battered and fried. That was several years ago.

In the last two years, we have only been planting things that will do well in this climate. In the winter, we grow swiss chard, kale, leaf lettuce, parsley, cilantro and green onions. In the summer months we grow okra and green onions. And we grow a lot of okra, a plant that loves the heat. Considering that it is difficult to consistently find okra in the Tucson area - Lee Lee's and Grantstone Market are the only two supermarkets that consistently carry it. Clemson spineless is the variety to go with. The bushes grow to 4 foot tall and they have excellent flowering. The plants need 8+ hours of sunlight and will produce from May - early November in this climate.

Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM

That is an amazing list of vegetables you're able to grow. And okra -- it used to be on our dinner table growing up but haven't had it in ages. Never thought of it growing in Arizona, but just looked it up and it's related to cotton, cocoa, and hibiscus. I remember there were cotton fields in Southern Arizona so the climate must suit okra as well. Looks like a nice big leafy bush with lots of uses (Stir-fried okra with diced chili pepper sounds good). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra

Interesting, thank you.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Quote:
That is an amazing list of vegetables you're able to grow. And okra -- it used to be on our dinner table growing up but haven't had it in ages. Never thought of it growing in Arizona, but just looked it up and it's related to cotton, cocoa, and hibiscus. I remember there were cotton fields in Southern Arizona so the climate must suit okra as well. Looks like a nice big leafy bush with lots of uses (Stir-fried okra with diced chili pepper sounds good). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra

Interesting, thank you.

Last year was our first okra year. NONE of the okra was slimy. I think that there were about three tough and stringy pods all summer long.

We like to wash the okra pods and place them in a quart freezer bag. We add olive oil and cajun seasoning. We shake the bag to cover all of the pods. We place them in the air fryer for about 15 minutes at 350F. It is great and you don't add all of the calories of fried okra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: