Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2021, 08:39 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,822,152 times

Advertisements

Well guys, what you see is what you get! Daddy hawk continues to do a great job hunting to feed Momma and baby. According to the reading I have done at Cooper's Hawks, it is not common for the male to bring food directly to the nest as the female will not tolerate it, so food must be left in an adjacent tree by the male and Momma will go there and get the food to bring to the nest. But as Ed (the expert helping me out with information), apparently the male has not read the books and brings the food directly to the nest and Momma does not seem to have any issue with that. In this video, you can clearly see beak to beak feeding going on, and you can also see that the baby already knows to poop outside the nest. The fact that I see only one chick is kind of sad, but this chick is getting the benefit of the full attention of both parents, and these parents appear to be doing an excellent job!!! I hope you enjoy the video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSG0ntAUpfE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 02:49 PM

807 posts, read 855,178 times
What dedicated parents they are, and the father hawk bringing room service to the nest multiple times. So sweet to watch the mother-to-baby feeding, and then the baby grooming its little downy feathers. Very heart-warming to watch this hawk family up close - Thank you, Bart!

Old 05-31-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
What dedicated parents they are, and the father hawk bringing room service to the nest multiple times. So sweet to watch the mother-to-baby feeding, and then the baby grooming its little downy feathers. Very heart-warming to watch this hawk family up close - Thank you, Bart!
Thank you for watching and your nice comment wildflowers27. Yes, I am happy to see this hawk family doing quite well for the time being! The baby and the feeding is precious!

Old 05-31-2021, 01:09 PM

2,838 posts, read 3,168,696 times
What a great video. This has to be one of the best you've shared on this nest.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:22 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,591,609 times
I don't know about Cooper's hawks, but there are a lot of larger predatory birds in which the stronger sibling kicks the one born after it out of the nests, I believe even eagles do this. Limited resources....
Lovely video!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
What a great video. This has to be one of the best you've shared on this nest.
Thank you for the kind words Windwalker2! I am really glad you enjoyed the video!!!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I don't know about Cooper's hawks, but there are a lot of larger predatory birds in which the stronger sibling kicks the one born after it out of the nests, I believe even eagles do this. Limited resources....
Lovely video!
Yes NoMansLands, in my reading on Coopers hawks, and chicks that do not survive are fed to the surviving chicks. I know it sounds horrible, but it makes sense not to waste anything when you live day to day. Thanks for your comment, and I am glad you enjoyed the video!!!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,433,239 times
Another enjoyable video, Bart. I am really impressed by how hard the mother works for her baby hawk. Wow, that baby really gets the deluxe upbringing treatment. Pretty impressive!

Old 06-01-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Another enjoyable video, Bart. I am really impressed by how hard the mother works for her baby hawk. Wow, that baby really gets the deluxe upbringing treatment. Pretty impressive!
You are 100% correct elkotronics! This surviving chick is getting the full benefit of an excellent mother and an awesome dad who is doing an amazing job of keeping the family fed! Glad you enjoyed the video!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson