U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 07:55 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,391,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
...... Getting creative with the crime stats must bring some snickers in the back room when they're writing up their reports. ...
Retired chief of police here (also retired lt. from NYPD~total of 41 years as a police officer). Dumbing down the stats to look good has been around as long as there have been politicians and newspapers, each demanding the police "do something" to deal with crime (and then create an environment where actual control of people committing crimes is all but impossible).

This is why, when a new, honest and professional police chief comes to a town/city, and orders their personnel to report actual crimes honestly (no more burglary=criminal trespass robbery=larceny from the person, etc.) the crime rate skyrockets and the town/city has a crime wave!!

Which is the fault of the new chief of police...

Rich
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 08:30 AM

1,049 posts, read 436,331 times
•Loud music/loud noise calls (they would respond to big parties)--This seems dangerous because the situation can easily escalate if an inconsiderate neighbor knows the police will no longer come to tell them to turn it down or observe quiet hours, and the police will end up with a bigger problem on their hands.

•Medical check welfare--So who's supposed to break in when somebody is laying on the floor with a massive heart attack?

•Civil matters (landlord-tenant disputes, child custody issues)--Other situations that are going to escalate quickly into something messier.

•Suicidal subjects--So just go ahead and off yourself? Not sure EMS wants to get involved if the guy has a gun to his head.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:31 AM

392 posts, read 227,588 times
RichCapeCod, good to know this. Not an easy position for law enforcement to be in. I used to look at the crime maps with their little icons but was often confused by the categories. Seems to me a good Neighborhood Watch and common sense when out and about goes a long way toward safety.

For some of the other categories, it could put extra burden on the Fire Dept to respond. Hopefully a rising economic tide will lift the budgets of all agencies.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:44 AM

15,266 posts, read 26,315,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
PCSD is better, but still stretched thin as well. Certain parts of the county, a deputy may never show up. Heard a first hand encounter from a deputy trying to arrest someone who was resisting arrest and called for backup. Spent almost 35 minutes waiting for another deputy driving at 80-100 MPH to show up to help him subdue the perp who was trying to wrestle himself free.

In all fairness, there are times in Green Valley where there is only one sheriffs deputy available in the vicinity. Fortunately, there is the auxiliary that can perform some non-policing functions in the area.

My objection with the TUSD in general is that they do NOT have a presence in the high crime areas during peak problem times. For example, there should be a VISIBLE police presence at the two transit centers (Laos and Ronstadt) from 7-10 am and from 2-7 pm to stop a lot of the petty crimes that occur there daily.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:11 PM

3,509 posts, read 7,870,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

My objection with the TUSD in general is that they do NOT have a presence in the high crime areas during peak problem times.
Well you should hear TPD's solution to that. A friend on the force told me that they have civilians in uniform without a badge simply driving around in cop cars to give the appearance that they are patrolling. But they can't hit their lights, pull anyone over or respond to calls.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:22 PM

4,372 posts, read 2,625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Well you should hear TPD's solution to that. A friend on the force told me that they have civilians in uniform without a badge simply driving around in cop cars to give the appearance that they are patrolling. But they can't hit their lights, pull anyone over or respond to calls.
Seriously?!?!?!

Old 03-11-2021, 04:01 PM

3,509 posts, read 7,870,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Seriously?!?!?!
So I've been told. Taking civilian employees off their desk jobs and have them drive around for a few hours.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:23 PM

392 posts, read 227,588 times
Not in Tucson, but I've seen police cars parked empty as deterrents. Just seeing the police car might be enough to make the bad guys think twice. But I'd feel a lot better with real law enforcement out there..

Old 03-11-2021, 08:04 PM

20,483 posts, read 24,229,096 times
I lived in a townhouse complex in Las Vegas with 2 pools with security cameras. A key was required to use the pool at a cost of $25. A neighboring townhouse complex had shut down its pool and we found a few of them climbing over the chain-link fence to use it. One person was trying to tear the security camera off the wall, with his easily identifiable face. The president called the police, showed him the camera and the police's response: What do you want us to do about it!!!

Nothing was done!

Old 03-27-2021, 12:14 AM

32 posts, read 14,941 times
"Some types of calls they'll no longer respond to includes Contraband at schools, hospitals, and courts (except firearms), Deaths at medical care facilities, Loud music/noise, Medical check welfare, and several others.

Future cuts will include no longer responding to all code enforcement, Civil matters (landlord-tenant disputes, child custody issues), Suicidal subjects, Financial crimes[/quote]

I can see some of this issues listed above becoming serious incidents. If the police won't respond to loud music calls, landlord-tenant disputes, and child custody issues, later they will be going out to the locations anyway, with a lot more of a mess to deal with. I think some of the other issues will not be a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson