U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 384 times

Advertisements

The statistic most quoted about winds in Tucson is their average speed, around 8 mph. What people do not usually think about about are how high and frequently the winds gust. On windy days, wind gusts around Tucson get as high as 30 to 50 mph. High wind gusts occur from February to June and then during storms in the monsoon season (July and August). I have a pool. I also have a lot of landscaping around the pool. The house came this way and unfortunately I added to the landscaping. It is now a nightmare. You have to keep a pool clean if you want to prevent plaster stains. People don't realize that leaves and debris left on the bottom of a pool will create permanent stains. Too much debris anywhere in the pool will change the chemistry of the water and stain the plaster. It is not just the hard water and minerals in the water. Stains are mostly caused by debris. Too much debris will also make algae harder to control. Automated bottom cleaners are great as they run with the pool pump at night but even with "memories" they often regularly miss certain parts of the pool. You'll need to get a manual vacuum on rollers to really get all of the debris. I would suggest that before you buy a house with a pool or build a pool that you really consider the landscaping in your yard and in the other yards and areas around you. You may need to replace landscaping with litter-free plants like agave, cacti, certain palms, etc. I wouldn't plant any trees nearby. Even desert trees like Mesquite and Palo Verde are big shedders. If you live around neighbors and areas where there is a lot of landscaping, you will have problems keeping your pool clean. If I had it all to do over again, I would never have purchased a house with a pool. I don't want to pay for heating mine, nor do I want to pay the upfront cost of solar pool heating. It really cools off at night here so the water remains pretty cold most of the year. June, July, and August are the best months for swimming. Pools may add value to your home when you sell or may not. It depends upon how much more people buying in your area will pay for a house with a pool. Going full circle, keeping a pool clean here can be an awful lot of work and very frustrating. If you have the room to have a leaf net installed, that will help. You'll still need to take it off and remove all of the leaves somehow to get at the dust and small debris on the surface and the bottom. Those leaf nets work best for rectangular pools, but are not made for banana or other odd-shaped pools. You also have to have a lot of cool decking around the pool to put in the anchors for the net. Pool covers don't really help because they sit on the surface of the water letting water and debris mix. The covers become too heavy with a lot of debris. There really is no simple way to remove the debris from the covers before removing the covers from the pool. I spend way too much time keeping my pool clean with the frequent high wind gusts. People considering a pool here really need to think about how much they will use the pool and how much work they are willing to put in to keep the pool clean (and stain free).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 07:51 PM

20,408 posts, read 24,037,170 times
Lately, I've felt like I'm back living in windy Las Vegas, with all this wind lately. Average annual windspeeds in Las Vegas is 9.2MPH, highest in the country is Cheyenne, WY @13.9MPH, and interestingly, just 120 miles north the windspeeds in PHoenix are only 6.2MPH, identical to L.A.

On windy days a mask is ultra-important, otherwise you have this fine silica flying into your lungs.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:33 AM

2,559 posts, read 2,415,692 times
Consider getting a pool cover. They help a lot.

Old 03-25-2021, 07:37 PM

726 posts, read 549,832 times
I once rented a house in Texas that came with a pool. A big one and deep enough for serious diving. Family was all excited about it. That lasted two weeks. Kids could care less and I was stuck with maintenance. Considered hiring pool service but it would have been money NOT well spent. The yard had many trees. It was far too big for a cover even if I had owned the house.

The OP has done a service to anyone pondering buying a house with one or having one installed. For those who love the things good on ya. The OP has described some of the reality of a pool.

Old Today, 07:23 PM

492 posts, read 670,732 times
I had no idea! Luckily for us our pools are part of the common area and so maintenance is done by the HOA. They spend a fortune maintaining both pools. Yes, I have to share them with others but since I only swim in the summer, there are not many people here then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: