Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:21 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,815,990 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGaEIlGOuI

Two of the worst roads in Green Valley are now two of the best roads in Green Valley due to new pavement via the "mill and fill" method. For the two streets in the Foothills 1 Subdivision (Calle Lecho and Calle Montanosa), Pima County contracted with "Granite Construction" company to take up 2 inches of old cracked and failing asphalt, and lay down 2 inches of new asphalt under the "worst first" methodology. "Worst first" simply means that neighborhood roads that have the lowest PCI (Pavement Condition Index) scores and constitute a subdivision will be addressed first.

The process is very interesting to observe, so I hope you enjoy the action shots of pavement coming up and new pavement going down! I know the video is a bit long, but it is only a snapshot of 18 or so hours of work by many people, and even more to prepare in the days and weeks prior to the actual paving.

I would like to thank District 4 Supervisor Steve Christy, his representative for Green Valley, Tom Berezny, the entire Pima County Transportation Department and the Green Valley Council (GVC) for their efforts in getting these two VERY bad roads addressed. I would also like to thank Granite Construction for the excellent work they did over just 2 days to get this work completed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 12:56 PM

807 posts, read 852,462 times
Congratulations, Bart! Wow, talk about an extreme makeover -- the transformation is really amazing. And beautifully done right up to the undisturbed bricks of your driveway. I enjoyed watching how they did it with the trucks taking turns hauling away the old asphalt.

Now it's your "take a bow" moment. I subscribe to the Green Valley News and signed up for Dan Shearer's daily emails which I enjoy. Imagine my delight to open today's email and you and your road paving triumph are the featured story!

"He's been on a one-man crusade (with neighbors cheering him on) for years to have the awful roads near his house in Foothills 1 paved."

"And we'd like to thank Bart for an inspiring example of doggedness.."

Great job, and enjoy your new smooth rides!!

Old 03-25-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Congratulations, Bart! Wow, talk about an extreme makeover -- the transformation is really amazing. And beautifully done right up to the undisturbed bricks of your driveway. I enjoyed watching how they did it with the trucks taking turns hauling away the old asphalt.

Now it's your "take a bow" moment. I subscribe to the Green Valley News and signed up for Dan Shearer's daily emails which I enjoy. Imagine my delight to open today's email and you and your road paving triumph are the featured story!

"He's been on a one-man crusade (with neighbors cheering him on) for years to have the awful roads near his house in Foothills 1 paved."

"And we'd like to thank Bart for an inspiring example of doggedness.."

Great job, and enjoy your new smooth rides!!

Thanks for the kind words wildflowers27! I am glad you enjoyed the video! It is kind of fun to see how things are done. Yeah, the editor of the paper forwarded me the article in the newsletter. It was pretty funny to me. Some other people have told me about it and thought it was snarky, I don't feel that way. I am just glad the roads are done, and appreciative to all those involved. The contractor (Granite) did an excellent job, I am impressed. I used to work for the TX highway department and I know a bit about what is involved.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:27 PM

Glad you got to see the article. I didn't take it to be snarky at all - he was just putting some humor into it. Given the state of the roads, it's pretty amazing that one person could finally get two of them paved.

I remember when my parents built in Green Valley in the late 1970's, and my father thought it was great that "the County maintains the roads". Sort of a good news, bad news situation. But it looks like more roads are being done now so that's good. Yours really looks smooth and wonderful.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Glad you got to see the article. I didn't take it to be snarky at all - he was just putting some humor into it. Given the state of the roads, it's pretty amazing that one person could finally get two of them paved.

I remember when my parents built in Green Valley in the late 1970's, and my father thought it was great that "the County maintains the roads". Sort of a good news, bad news situation. But it looks like more roads are being done now so that's good. Yours really looks smooth and wonderful.
Hopefully, if nothing changes we will see steady progress for neighborhood roads that need attention!

Please see this from the county website:

Pima County has a 10-year plan to repair and preserve all currently failed and poor roads. By 2030, all roads are expected to be in very good or better condition, with an average Pavement Condition Index of 80 [see Pavement Index tab]. In FY 2020, the Board of Supervisors and Transportation Department allocated $56 million in road repair and preservation funding which will repair 66 miles of arterial/collector roads and 127 miles of local roads.

At: https://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?pageId=53289

And this:

Pavement Condition Index
Pavement Condition Index (PCI) is determined by an objective analysis that uses ASTM D6433-18 Standard Practice for Roads and Parking Lots Pavement Condition Index Surveys. PCI ranges from 0 to 100 with the latter representing new pavement.
Condition categories
Very good: 76-100
Good: 61-75
Poor: 41-60
Failed: 0-40

at: https://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?pageId=53289

Old 03-27-2021, 01:33 AM

16,365 posts, read 30,083,242 times
Quote:

Most of the roads in neighborhoods in Green Valley are privately owned and maintained by HOAs themselves. Our roads were completely resurfaced in June 2020. However, they were in infinitely better condition than the county maintained roads, all at the cost of $120 per year per household.

Old 03-27-2021, 06:04 PM

$120 per year per household sounds like a bargain. I didn't know that was the case. Maybe it's some of the older neighborhoods that are county maintained. The link Bart posted listed a bunch of streets next in line -- in areas north of Esperanza and west of I-19.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most of the roads in neighborhoods in Green Valley are privately owned and maintained by HOAs themselves. Our roads were completely resurfaced in June 2020. However, they were in infinitely better condition than the county maintained roads, all at the cost of $120 per year per household.
Apparently, the HOA that included my neighborhood dissolved long ago and the county took over the responsibility for the roads back then.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:17 PM

157 posts, read 355,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfGaEIlGOuI

Two of the worst roads in Green Valley are now two of the best roads in Green Valley due to new pavement via the "mill and fill" method. For the two streets in the Foothills 1 Subdivision (Calle Lecho and Calle Montanosa), Pima County contracted with "Granite Construction" company to take up 2 inches of old cracked and failing asphalt, and lay down 2 inches of new asphalt under the "worst first" methodology. "Worst first" simply means that neighborhood roads that have the lowest PCI (Pavement Condition Index) scores and constitute a subdivision will be addressed first.

The process is very interesting to observe, so I hope you enjoy the action shots of pavement coming up and new pavement going down! I know the video is a bit long, but it is only a snapshot of 18 or so hours of work by many people, and even more to prepare in the days and weeks prior to the actual paving.

I would like to thank District 4 Supervisor Steve Christy, his representative for Green Valley, Tom Berezny, the entire Pima County Transportation Department and the Green Valley Council (GVC) for their efforts in getting these two VERY bad roads addressed. I would also like to thank Granite Construction for the excellent work they did over just 2 days to get this work completed.
I am considering a move to Green Valley and have been warned the roads are really bad. Are they as bad in Sahuarita?

Old 04-05-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesharona View Post
I am considering a move to Green Valley and have been warned the roads are really bad. Are they as bad in Sahuarita?
It all depends on where you live. Green Valley is a CDP (Census Designated Place) in unincorporated Pima County. In the past the county was making decisions on paving neighborhood roads by best ROI (Return On Investment) which basically means they would pave where they could serve the most people for the money spent. This seems reasonable unless you live in a less densely populated neighborhood such as where I live. My street got basically no maintenance for 25+ years, so it was really in bad shape. What changed is that the County had a program to measure every road in unincorporated Pima County and generate a PCI (Pavement Condition Index) score. Once all the scores were assigned, the other thing that changed was for the County to make decisions on what to pave in terms of neighborhood roads (as opposed to collector/arterial roads) based on the roads with the worst PCI scores first (there are some other factors, but that is the main factor). My street (Montanosa) shown in the video was among the streets in Green Valley with the worst PCI scores with a score of 25 which means it was a failed road.

Another thing to take in to account is the HOA (Home Owner Association) factor. Some HOA's in Green Valley have high fees, but they also take care of their own roads. Others have lower fees and still rely on the County for road maintenance and repair. 2021 is the first year of a 10 year County Program to get every road in unincorporated Pima County up to a PCI score of 80 which is "very good". Overall, I would say the roads in Sahuarita are better than those in Green Valley, but Sahuarita is actually a city. In addition, Sahuarita has some bad roads as well. These are all things I would certainly bring up with your realtor. If you have other questions, feel free to ask here so everyone can see the answers, or send me a private message if that works better for you. Looking forward to have another person come and enjoy Green Valley!!!

If you would like to learn more, please visit the Pima County Transportation website at: https://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?pageId=53289
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson