U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM

720 posts, read 534,904 times

Advertisements

This video covers from 03/21/2021 to today 04/04/2021. The first part of the video is free hand, so it is a little shaky, but the last part of the video was taken this morning with the camera on a tripod, so you will see some nice stable video. I don't always take the tripod on my walks because I do not want to carry it for 2.5 miles which is the minimal length of my walks. Usually when I take the tripod, there is no action in the nest. Today, I did not take the tripod, and I saw a lot of action in the nest. I tried to do freehand, but I just could not hold the camera still for a full zoom shot. I completed my walk, got home and got the tripod, and went back to the nest site, and thankfully I was able to capture the female (the larger bird) in her nest, and the male visiting with twigs as well. I captured several arrivals and departures to and from the nest. I was even able to isolate one arrival and put it in slow motion, it is so cool!!! I think the one that stays in the nest at the end of the video is the female.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the video! If you would like to know more about the Cooper's hawk, I found some excellent information at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper%27s_hawk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUqawIxW37w
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:03 AM

7,663 posts, read 7,291,877 times
Cooper's Hawks are certainly very hard workers, and especially so when it comes to nest building. Very interesting video, Bart! Great job filming these birds.

Old Today, 08:37 AM

364 posts, read 201,419 times
What a great nesting spot. And a serious housekeeper, rearranging those twigs. Thank you!

Old Today, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Cooper's Hawks are certainly very hard workers, and especially so when it comes to nest building. Very interesting video, Bart! Great job filming these birds.
Thanks elkotronics! Yes, and the hard work has paid off! As I mentioned, the nest is still there after 40+ mph wind gusts! That nest is deep too! I believe that there was one laying down in there and I did not see it until it stood up. I am lucky that I have found a place to video from that does not disturb the hawks, and I am really happy to share this view with others! I don't think it is something you see very often.

Old Today, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
What a great nesting spot. And a serious housekeeper, rearranging those twigs. Thank you!
You are most welcome wildflowers27! Thanks for watching and your comment!!! These hawks really know what they are doing, the nest is really impressive! I love seeing them come and go. I read that a couple of weeks after the eggs hatch (3 to 5 chicks) that the male will hunt almost continuously to feed himself and bring food to the nest 3 to 6 times a day for the mate and the chicks. The male will also give the female breaks from the eggs/chicks to hunt and defecate. Being a raptor is not an easy life!!!

Old Today, 11:48 AM

7,663 posts, read 7,291,877 times
You are most welcome wildflowers27! Thanks for watching and your comment!!! These hawks really know what they are doing, the nest is really impressive! I love seeing them come and go. I read that a couple of weeks after the eggs hatch (3 to 5 chicks) that the male will hunt almost continuously to feed himself and bring food to the nest 3 to 6 times a day for the mate and the chicks. The male will also give the female breaks from the eggs/chicks to hunt and defecate. Being a raptor is not an easy life!!!

And it all comes instinctively to them, too. You're right, Bart, we wouldn't be able to see this nest-building in most all of our situations. This type of video might be available on websites where these birds are studied and reported on, but I don't know if the detail would be as good as yours.

Marvelous job, Bart, thank you again!

Old Today, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

And it all comes instinctively to them, too. You're right, Bart, we wouldn't be able to see this nest-building in most all of our situations. This type of video might be available on websites where these birds are studied and reported on, but I don't know if the detail would be as good as yours.

Marvelous job, Bart, thank you again!
You are most kind elkotronics!!!

Old Today, 08:27 PM

10,885 posts, read 9,021,373 times
Great video and how lucky to find a spot that affords such a clear view of the nest! What industrious nest builders they are. I hope you will have opportunities to take more videos after the nestlings have hatched and have become visible when they're standing up in the nest being fed by the parents.

I very much enjoyed the music too. I can't listen to much music these days because it usually makes my tinnitus flare up but that music didn't do that to me so I was pleasantly surprised. If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the artist(s)?

Old Today, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Great video and how lucky to find a spot that affords such a clear view of the nest! What industrious nest builders they are. I hope you will have opportunities to take more videos after the nestlings have hatched and have become visible when they're standing up in the nest being fed by the parents.

I very much enjoyed the music too. I can't listen to much music these days because it usually makes my tinnitus flare up but that music didn't do that to me so I was pleasantly surprised. If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the artist(s)?

You have read my mind Zoisite! There should be eggs mid to late April, so chicks in mid to late May. My plan is to try and get some video each week and bring it to you all every few weeks! I would LOVE to be able to capture the chicks being fed, I sure hope it happens!!! I am glad you were able to enjoy the music I put to the video. It was in the audio library of free music to use on youtube. The song is called Sunspots by Jeremy Blake and his youtube channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChn...iaR5NeKOevB8iQ Thanks for watching and your very nice comment!

Old Today, 10:08 PM

10,885 posts, read 9,021,373 times
Thank you, thank you!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson