U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Tucson
494 posts, read 674,984 times
Reputation: 674

Advertisements

We moved here in 2018 with plans to explore the area by car. We had only scratched the surface and then Covid hit and we went nowhere for over a year. Now that we are vaccinated we are beginning to venture out again.

Yesterday we drove up to Tempe to see my grandson and we took Historic Route 80. It was so lovely and there was very little traffic. When I got home I looked it up and saw that it was once the main route before the 10 was built. Now I am intrigued by these off-the-beaten-path roads.

If you have other suggestions for some interesting roads we could take I would love to hear about them. Thinking of ones where we could stop and picnic. Things like that. No dirt roads please. My husband will not drive on those.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 07:04 AM
 
3,491 posts, read 7,820,760 times
Reputation: 4358
Go out to Sonoita, head over to Patagonia then keep going to Nogales. Take I-19 up from Nogales and hit Tumacacori Mission and then San Xavier Mission. If I had to pick one drive for people to take around southern Arizona to take up most of the day that would be it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Tucson
494 posts, read 674,984 times
Reputation: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Go out to Sonoita, head over to Patagonia then keep going to Nogales. Take I-19 up from Nogales and hit Tumacacori Mission and then San Xavier Mission. If I had to pick one drive for people to take around southern Arizona to take up most of the day that would be it.
Oh that is on my list for sure. I think it goes past a real lake does it not?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:31 AM
 
3,491 posts, read 7,820,760 times
Reputation: 4358
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Oh that is on my list for sure. I think it goes past a real lake does it not?
Pretty close to one.

If you like old movies, the musical "Oklahoma" was filmed out in Sonoita. Couple of spots still around that were featured in the movie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,077 posts, read 2,628,075 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
We moved here in 2018 with plans to explore the area by car. We had only scratched the surface and then Covid hit and we went nowhere for over a year. Now that we are vaccinated we are beginning to venture out again.

Yesterday we drove up to Tempe to see my grandson and we took Historic Route 80. It was so lovely and there was very little traffic. When I got home I looked it up and saw that it was once the main route before the 10 was built. Now I am intrigued by these off-the-beaten-path roads.

If you have other suggestions for some interesting roads we could take I would love to hear about them. Thinking of ones where we could stop and picnic. Things like that. No dirt roads please. My husband will not drive on those.

Thanks!
That's really a shame. As you'll never get to see the Apache Trail (Rte.88) from Apache Junction to the Roosevelt Dam. It's got to be one of thee most spectacular drives in all of Arizona. You can stop and picnic at Apache Lake. It's paved until you get a few miles past Tortilla Flat. There's a recreation area at Tortilla Flat where you can picnic and there's also a Gift shop/Saloon/Country store at Tortilla Flat. Of course you can always go that far and turn around and go back. At least if you do that you'll see the Superstition Mountains and Canyon Lake.

Driving on the dirt road is no big deal. You can do it by car and do not need four wheel drive. We did it in a small rental car on our first trip out here and again in an SUV with our neighbors. The fastest you'll be going is maybe 15 mph and in some parts slower than that especially when you get to Fish Creek Canyon. You'll be thoroughly awestruck the entire way. Just "click" on the thumbnails below to get some idea of what it's like. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3746.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3734.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3765.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3775.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3772.jpg  

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ
2,049 posts, read 1,988,616 times
Reputation: 3553
My, my, my. Where to start. Go north out of Tucson on Granada/Oracle Road. It turns to AZ 77. When you get to Oracle Jct., turn left and go a few mile to see where Tom Mix drove off the road. There's a picnic site nearby. Keep going until you get to Florence, then to Florence Junction following signs for AZ 77. There go west on US 60 until you get to Apache Junction. Get off @ Idaho Road, SR 88 and go north. That's the Apache Trail.


Or. Go east on I-10. Stop and see what used to be Wilcox, if you want. Continue to US 191 N. Take that to Safford. Turn right on US 70 (also US 191) and go east. Follow the signs for US 191 through Clifton and Morenci. US 191 used to be US 666. You'll probably want to stop and take a look around Clifton, it's pretty neat, though not very much open there. Then past Morenci, you'll see the open pit copper mine. If you're really brave, go ahead on up to the mountains and on to Alpine. You'll pass Hanigan meadows. Now that, is a nice drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top