U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 141 times

Advertisements

Hello All, my husband and I are looking for a new home in metro area, so I have been studying real estate listings for months. On quite a few occasions, I have encountered street names that are funny, strange and just plain weird! Some of these names have made me think twice about whether I'd want to live on a street with that name, or know I'd have to spell some long names out for anyone unfamiliar. For instance:

West Velvet Ant Place (fancy insects!)
West Windowmaker Road (I read it as "Widowmaker" aka the killer heart attack)
West Snaketown Street (very appropriate)
S. Placita Plenilunio (that's a mouthful)
Baby Bruno Way (so cute!)
West Tearblanket Place (is it "tear" as in crying or "tear" as in ripping?)
North Southern Swale Ave (North or south... make up your mind)
South Bardust Lane (is dust in a bar different than anywhere else?)
N. Cassiopeia Dr. (I know it's a constellation, but what a pain to spell)
Via de la Heroina (I know what it means in Spanish, but it might be misinterpreted...)
and my all-time favorite so far:
N. Cheesebrush Avenue (please explain what a cheese brush is!)

I'm sure there are some stories behind these names. If anyone has any other examples, add them to the list! Looking forward to visiting and house hunting soon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 03:03 PM

733 posts, read 565,865 times
Down here in Green Valley, I see this street name "corpiño del pecho", I wondered what it meant, so I used google translate and it means "chest bodice". Soooooooooooo, no idea what was in the persons mind that came up with that one!

Old 04-27-2021, 09:34 PM

4,366 posts, read 2,613,438 times
I recently moved to Idaho and chuckled at Chicken Dinner rd and thought Black Cat street was a cool name

Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

20,459 posts, read 24,191,081 times
In Las Vegas, I lived not too far from Zodiac Street.

In Midtown Tucson I haven't recognized any odd names. I wish they'd go back to numbered streets.

Old Today, 05:25 PM

496 posts, read 678,639 times
There is a street here in the foothills called "Pasayo Tamayo". I call it pass the tomatoes. My neighbor calls it tomato pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson