Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 10:24 PM

810 posts, read 870,015 times

Advertisements

The Green Valley News email on Tuesday had a piece on a new report ranking the 25 most dangerous highways in the United States, calculated by fatalities per mile. I-19 was ranked 9th out of 25.

"The ranking is based on the number of traffic fatalities between 2016 and 2019 compared to the length of the road. The I-19 is only 63 miles long, the shortest road in the top 10, and there were 40 fatalities during the study period."

I'm not sure why this stretch of road has so many fatalities, but this is a reminder to drive defensively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 07:06 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
The Green Valley News email on Tuesday had a piece on a new report ranking the 25 most dangerous highways in the United States, calculated by fatalities per mile. I-19 was ranked 9th out of 25.

"The ranking is based on the number of traffic fatalities between 2016 and 2019 compared to the length of the road. The I-19 is only 63 miles long, the shortest road in the top 10, and there were 40 fatalities during the study period."

I'm not sure why this stretch of road has so many fatalities, but this is a reminder to drive defensively.
I have a few ideas why this stretch of road is so dangerous.

1. People texting or talking on the phone while driving (I see it frequently).
2. The speed limit for 1-19 is mostly 75mph. It goes down to 65mph in a few places. I usually set my cruise control at 80, and people still blow by me at 90mph or more.
3. There are a LOT of semi type trucks on I-19, and in my opinion, they travel way too fast.
4. There is a LOT of construction on I-19 which leads to changes in lane use and speed. When there is no work being done, the signs stay out, so people have gotten to where they ignore them.
5. There are people who WILL NOT get out of the left lane no matter how many cars are backed up behind them, and this causes people to drive aggressively to try and get the person to move over or to pass on the right. I would like to see HUGE tickets given to these people.
6. Some of the latest and most horrific accidents have involved alcohol. I have adopted a section of La Canada in Green Valley through the adopt a roadway program, and when I pick up litter, I find MANY of those mini alcohol bottles in the median and along the road. To me, this means people are drinking and driving.
7. I live in Green Valley (which is a retirement community with lots of elderly people) and I love where I live, but the fact is that there are MANY elderly folks driving that should not be. Be it eyesight issues or some other affliction, some of these folks are dangerous behind the wheel.
8. Green Valley has MANY "Winter Visitors", and some of them are not familiar with the town or the area which leads to people getting turned around and going the wrong way on one way streets, and possibly freeway entrance ramps. Yes, this has actually happened. Wrong way accidents on I-19 with fatal consequences. I am not saying all wrong way accidents on I-19 are the fault of Winter Visitors, but between that factor plus elderly drivers plus speed plus alcohol plus distracted driving plus construction plus just plain bad drivers plus lots of fast moving semi traffic, I can see how I-19 rates where it does.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:33 AM

136 posts, read 261,403 times
[quote=bkolodzi;60939710]I have a few ideas why this stretch of road is so dangerous.

7. I live in Green Valley (which is a retirement community with lots of elderly people) and I love where I live, but the fact is that there are MANY elderly folks driving that should not be. Be it eyesight issues or some other affliction, some of these folks are dangerous behind the wheel.

I couldn't agree more. A few days ago I was wondering when my drivers license expired. My 71st birthday is in May and it needed renewal. I thought I'd see if I could make an appointment to renew and no doubt, at my age, to take an eye exam. I went online and found I could renew in the comfort of my own home. No eye exam! In fact all I had to do was answer a question that basically asked if I had any medical issues that would make it difficult for me to drive. I don't but when I mentioned that at the dog park, several elderly people remarked that they were relieved to hear that because they weren't sure they would be able to pass a basic eye exam. These people love to pass the time cruising around in their (far too large for them) Suvs and pickups. Many also own class A motorhomes! Nothing screams safety like Mr. Magoo behind the wheel of a Greyhound Bus!!

Old 04-30-2021, 07:40 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I travel to Madera Canyon often in the summer to go hiking or trail running, so I'm on I-19 frequently for four months a year. What I see (and it's been confirmed by local law enforcement) is that 20% of the drivers between midnight and 7 AM are impaired. At 6 AM on the weekend I will almost always see a handful of cars that can't drive a straight line on I-19. What I was told that many people go out and drink, crash on a friend's couch at 2 AM and then try to sneak home after a few hours of sleep, but they are still drunk.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:54 AM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
Your comments are all very eye opening. And disturbing. I don't know how I would anticipate a wrong-way driver drunk in the morning. This begs the question: Where is the Highway Patrol? This can't be a surprise to the local authorities that there are so many fatalities. If they would patrol I-19 and give hefty tickets to the speeders and impaired drivers, after a while it should lessen.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:12 AM

41 posts, read 63,754 times
...Not mentioned, but has happened many times over the years and probably lends to some of those sad statistics, is that there are illegal immigrants being trafficked through that corridor, and sometimes there is a rollover with many people in the vehicle that has lead to many fatalities. Very sad.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:42 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Your comments are all very eye opening. And disturbing. I don't know how I would anticipate a wrong-way driver drunk in the morning. This begs the question: Where is the Highway Patrol? This can't be a surprise to the local authorities that there are so many fatalities. If they would patrol I-19 and give hefty tickets to the speeders and impaired drivers, after a while it should lessen.
This point made me laugh last summer, people would be all masked up on out of the way hiking trails and giving me the stink eye for not wearing one for hiking. They were in more danger of getting hit by a drunk driver on the way to Madera Canyon than they were of catching Covid from me passing them on a trail for two seconds.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:16 PM

41 posts, read 63,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
This point made me laugh last summer, people would be all masked up on out of the way hiking trails and giving me the stink eye for not wearing one for hiking. They were in more danger of getting hit by a drunk driver on the way to Madera Canyon than they were of catching Covid from me passing them on a trail for two seconds.
grmi66, you are trying to apply logic to a very un-logical situation (being facetious). Not to beat the drum, but let's beat it. Masks just don't work....they just don't. The CV is about 40-100 nanometers small....these dumb masks that all the sheep are wearing, are at best about 100 micrometers capable. The corona virus is about 1000 times smaller. So, all the genius' wearing them, are probably the same people that put up a chain link fence to keep out the flies' and mosquitoes. And hypoxia is a real thing too.

People love to follow "rules", no matter if they are based in science or not.

Old 05-01-2021, 06:26 AM

136 posts, read 261,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArniBoy View Post
grmi66, you are trying to apply logic to a very un-logical situation (being facetious). Not to beat the drum, but let's beat it. Masks just don't work....they just don't. The CV is about 40-100 nanometers small....these dumb masks that all the sheep are wearing, are at best about 100 micrometers capable. The corona virus is about 1000 times smaller. So, all the genius' wearing them, are probably the same people that put up a chain link fence to keep out the flies' and mosquitoes. And hypoxia is a real thing too.

People love to follow "rules", no matter if they are based in science or not.

Yawn...and Arni, let's not forget the moon landing was fake.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:57 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Having lived in Rio Rico for four years (and avoiding trips to Tucson), it seemed like there were quite a few SUV, single car accidents. Many of them involved tire blowouts, which can also be related to the heat. The Mexican truck drivers, as in foreign drivers, are allowed to operate to varying degrees in the US, and that is a dirty little secret down there, involving a few scandals and conflicts of interest. Life is kind of cheap in Catholic culture... and that is what is mostly down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson