U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 08:52 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,524,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
...I'm still exploring. It's never felt like home here in North Carolina where I live. I lived in Durham many years near the mall, and I lived in Raleigh too. The crime in Durham has gone way up. I'm now in Chapel Hill, but as I say, renting a room in a house. I could never afford renting an apt. here. It's been very hard making friends here. One of the things I long for is community of some sort. Of course it's hard being older anywhere.

It is interesting to me that there isn't much activity on the Tucson site. Some of the sites are really contentious. I've looked at Toledo too, vs. Cleveland, as well as Madison, Wisconsin. The arguments were pretty mild there but on some of the others they got heated up.

From what I have read about Tucson, there are the very well-to-do areas and the not so nice areas. Everyone talks about crime too, but crime is everywhere, more in some areas than others though...
Has crime gone way up in Raleigh as well? I had a friend there but that was a long time ago.

The amount of crime in Tucson is substantially more, if not much more than Phoenix based on what I read. Crime is up in Albuquerque as well.

Consider Phoenix or it's outskirts areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 12:21 PM

731 posts, read 588,628 times
My 2 cents. Inflated.

You are approaching Medicare age. Doctors typically are not embracing Medicare patients so I would let that be part of your decision making process. Does the Cleveland Clinic accept Medicare? I'd do some research along those lines.

Crime. There is no good news about crime. There is more of it and we are in a time when there is less enforcement depending on your location. I'm not optimistic about any city living regardless of where it is. I think I'd prefer to be around my own age group than in a mixed area regardless of any desire to embrace all ages. BTW, I'm in my late 70s and live in Tucson. Crime tends to be located in several areas. Still, there is random violence and as usual, night hours are the worst. Unfortunately, there are a lot of whacked out drivers but then that's the American way. I don't hear any issues with the public bus system. Tucson is a traffic disaster. There are no easy routes across town. Best not be running late.

The Pima County Library system is the best I've ever seen and I've moved a LOT in my day.

I live in AZ for the climate. Few insects. Mostly excellent weather 8 months of the year. Four months you use air conditioning. It makes walking more pleasant. I'm not a fan of cold and layers of clothing. Generally, I think things are healthier out here.

There are endless numbers of veterinarians. All seem to charge a lot for services. There is a disease (fungus) called Valley Fever which can infect dogs. Also people. You can google that one. There are a couple of ER vet clinics. They charge a fortune. Still, if your pup gets very sick at 2 a.m. there is a place to go.

I don't know anyone personally who crosses the border into Mexico for services. I don't hear of any issues with that.

Making friends can be challenging for all sorts of reasons. Seems some do and some don't. There are all sorts of groups and clubs and organizations. It's not my thing but I imagine you have to work at it.

Tucson is fairly easy but congested. AZ has the best motor vehicle office I've ever experienced. You will have a car accident eventually but it won't be from ice on the roads. The speed limits, in my opinion, are too high for the congestion.

If you have an aversion to firearms, then you don't want AZ. I can strap on a pistol and walk into the walmart legally. Still, AZ doesn't have more gun violence than other jurisdictions.

For my part, if I were alone, I'd look at mobile home parks, nice ones. There are one or two across from Tucson Medical Center. Walking distance to grocery shopping. Good location. And likely the cheapest housing you might find though all real estate is nuts right now. I had a friend who lived there and I found it very pleasant. She made friends there fairly quickly.

Tucson would not be my first choice nor Phoenix. But neither would any place that has 32 degree temperatures that last over a day.

Tucson has several major medical centers. I've used a couple of them and am still alive to talk about it. I have a good PC doctor, a cardiologist and so far so good.

If you like to hike, there are numerous options. If you like bike riding, few places beat Tucson with its dedicated bicycle routes.

I think one of the best resources to the city is an excellent airport. It is relatively small but very efficient and easy to use. I hate airports but Tucson is a peach.

I hope you do well whatever you choose.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:39 PM

11,202 posts, read 12,697,621 times
I liked Cleveland a lot when I visited 6-7 yrs. ago, but got a strange look when I said that to someone. Hmm. I liked Ohio in general. They get a lot of snow though, Cleveland, and grey cloud cover, which I couldn't handle I don't think. Columbus, Ohio gets less snow and pretty affordable, state capitol and nice size metro as another possible option.
Tucson is so different from Cleveland. It was okay, north of Tucson, Oro Valley is supposed to be nice. Phoenix has more happening. Both dry climates, Tucson a bit cooler. I've heard mixed things of Tucson, but then everyone has their own take on it. Hard decisions. I think, though, for a sense of community Cleveland would be better.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:39 PM

520 posts, read 837,555 times
The people I've encountered in Tucson so far haven't been all that warm. Let me clarify that! I don't mean here on this site, but in person, although these personal encounters have only been on Zoom. I joined a Meetup group and attended 3 or 4 of their Zoom socials - trivia nights. I also posted on the group's site asking if anyone had any contacts in the school systems. Not a single person responded. Of course no response is a response but disappointing. Even if they didn't have contacts someone in the group could've said so, like "I wish I could help you but don't know anyone" or something like that. These people were all retirees, but I would've thought someone could've acknowledged me.

Maybe it's just harder to make friends being older, but not fitting into being retired yet or into any other slot, like having grandkids or being married. Maybe there isn't that sense of community there. Or anywhere anymore.

As far as Medicare, I researched it and it's accepted at the Cleveland Clinic. I would have thought it would be everywhere by from what Bygeorge said, I guess not necessarily. It's two more years away but a good thing to be aware of. Thank you, Bygeorge.

I do have a strong aversion to firearms. I hadn't thought about that in terms of Arizona, thinking more that it would be in Texas, but yes, it does bother me.

So, I'm still continuing my research, and learning a lot here too! All the input here is very helpful and I appreciate it!

Old 05-17-2021, 03:43 PM

6,243 posts, read 3,060,340 times
If you're thinking about quality health care, there's a Mayo Clinic in Phoenix. But they don't take Medicare. Neither does the one in Florida, only the original in Minnesota.

Old 05-21-2021, 03:42 PM

386 posts, read 794,068 times
Hi,

My husband and I have lived here in the northwest part of Tucson twice and Virginia twice. I will not bore you with the details as to why however we have stayed here in Arizona going on 7 years

Tucson to me is an acquired taste. There are many things to see. do and go and visit if you reach out to find them otherwise could be lonely.

The weather here is outstanding and way cooler than Phoenix especially in the higher elevations, we are at 3400 ft. You must realize the HOT summers will go away. Hardly if any humidity, bugs, severe bad weather. I always found it interesting in the Phoenix area all the greenery, lawns etc. Some times with all the development up there I would swear I was not in a desert town. Great congestion, dining and shopping though and high prices. You can always drive up for the day.

It appears you did not live in Cleveland very long unless I miss read your post and it was many years ago.

I feel here you can be as active as you wish but you will need to get involved, church, clubs, gym etc. Since your considering renting most likely you will meet folks there too. As mentioned prices are not cheap here. Think Hot Pads still works as a site to look for rentals.

Make sure you check out the health insurance. My doctor is not taking any more Medicare patients and she is extremely busy. We do have great health care here, we are seniors and my husband has cancer. BTW...you rarely if ever see guns...unless you travel to Tombstone, LOL There is much building here so it will bring even more business.

I feel there is a wonderful mixture of young and old. I love while driving seeing older folks riding on bikes, walking, jogging, being active and healthy. I did not see this in Virginia.

Strongly encourage you to come out and pay a visit, find someone to watch your fur baby.

We moved here from Virginia the first time however I grew homesick for the greenery and returned to my beloved Virginia. Lasted there 6 years and returned here again to be closer to aging family, am here to stay unless a major life change occurs.

You can be very happy here or anywhere your heart is in it. There is beauty here in the desert. If you must go back to Ohio...I would look at Columbus, seems to be happening, I lived there as a child, lots of things to do especially in the arts me thinks!!

Old 05-21-2021, 09:53 PM

15,315 posts, read 26,460,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
My 2 cents. Inflated.

You are approaching Medicare age. Doctors typically are not embracing Medicare patients so I would let that be part of your decision making process. Does the Cleveland Clinic accept Medicare? I'd do some research along those lines.

Cleveland Clinic has a number of hospitals in the Cleveland area and most, if not all, accept Medicare.

The overwhelming majority of the hospitals in the area are wither affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic or University Hospitals or MetroHealth

Old 05-29-2021, 07:07 AM

11 posts, read 5,588 times
I’m also debating moving to Tucson or Cleveland and really, I thought I was the only person in the world with this issue. I mean really, these cities are kind of polar opposites right?

I’m in the PNW, I just turned 70 and I have 3 cats. I was born in Cleveland, my mom was raised there and I’ve taken many trips there even though my parents moved to the west coast when I was a baby. I need to move because the COL is too high, really the whole west coast is no longer affordable.

I have a pull to relocate to Cleveland, maybe it’s about returning to my roots. The weather has given me pause, so when a close friend started scouting out the Tucson area I looked into Tucson. At the time it was affordable, it’s closer for a move, and I think the weather might be better for someone my age, and getting older.

But I think it’s going to be Cleveland. Although Tucson is beautiful, I don’t really love the desert landscape. COL is lower in Cleveland. Healthcare is better. The park system in Cleveland is outstanding and Lake Erie is the large body of water that I crave. But last evening as I was relaxing with a book with my windows open, I checked the temperature in Tucson and it was still 88 degrees. It hit me that spring and summer to me mean throwing open my windows and getting outside. I’m not going to be doing that when it’s 100 degrees outside. I really like having 4 seasons. I actually like snow.

I still haven’t made up my mind, I’m doing scouting trips to Cleveland in the Fall and Tucson in the winter with the idea of moving in the spring.

Good luck with your decision, I understand how difficult it is. Although they’re different, both cities have a lot going for them.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:49 PM

540 posts, read 1,101,791 times
This comparison of Tucson to Cleveland is about the nuttiest I have ever read, they are not even one iota remotely comparable.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:39 AM
Status: "Tough Love never hurt anyone, except the unwilling" (set 2 days ago)

965 posts, read 1,502,307 times
I think the comparison has to do with liking both climates/terrains. I adore the desert but I like greenery too. That's why I actually aspire to be a snowbird so I can enjoy both. I'm much more drawn to Phoenix, though Tucson is beautiful. Lived in Phoenix 6 yrs and really miss it. I now live in a really treed, humid area and and gearing up for dealing with the difference. Cleveland is probably like that (humid, many more trees).

If you've never lived in the desert it'd be best to rent for a year to see if you really like it. I moved to Phoenix from Portland and was so glad to get out of the PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson