Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2021, 08:39 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,861,766 times

Advertisements

The newspaper article provides information on who to call for injured wildlife. It makes me sad that one javelina killed another and that the one who died suffered for hours before it died, but I guess that is how it is in the wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsLmOspl-30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 09:35 AM

810 posts, read 871,476 times
Watching them eat your cactus -- thorns and all -- is enough to let me know they are tough animals not to be messed with. I enjoy watching them on your videos from a distance. You and they are able to share your land and co-exist which is admirable.

The Green Valley News article you posted in your youtube was an important one. Heart-wrenching for that couple to hear the younger javelina being severely injured by the larger javelina and slowly dying all night. They couldn't get help from the Fire Dept, Sheriff, or AZ Game & Fish despite trying (good to know this). Hats off to the great work of Tucson Wildlife Center.

I applaud the Green Valley News and you for including all sides of the realities of living around wildlife. A good reminder.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:49 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I agree, that is tragic that the younger javelina had to suffer for so long before dying. Hats off to you, Bart, I agree with wildflowers27, for co-existing with these animals as much as you have so far on your property, and in all of Green Valley. When we were living over west in Willcox, AZ, javelina were plentiful and we kept our distance from them. Didn't want to be cornered by them. Having said that, I don't want any animal to suffer, including the billions that are killed for food every year worldwide. If they must be killed I favor doing it as humanely as possible, minimizing pain and suffering. That is not the way it goes with killing animals for food, they're given virtually no vet care and many, many animals suffer for days and weeks in agonizing pain. Very sick and very sad state of affairs in the food industry these days.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:45 PM

Thank you for your posts wildflowers27 and elkotronics! Yes, I hate the thought of any being suffering, whether it be wild or domestic. Any killing should be quick and clean, I know that is what I would like for myself! Not all wildlife encounters are happy affairs. There are some things that I see that I do not post because it would feel like taking advantage of some unfortunate circumstance. As for co-existing with the javelina, it works out for us because my wife does not leave the house except in her car, and I take a good look around before I go outside on foot. I am a "live and let live" kind of person, and I wish the javelina no ill will. Eating some plants is really no big deal. I get really close to them sometimes, but in most instances, there is a 5 foot brick wall between me and them. The other times I get close, it is inadvertent, like javelina coming out from behind a prickly pear plant or some such thing. Generally speaking, we get along just fine. We kind of have to since my home is on one of the game trails that the javelina use to get around the area! I love seeing the javelina, and I am actually glad it is a fairly frequent occurrence for me!

Old 03-23-2021, 02:04 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Thank you for your posts wildflowers27 and elkotronics! Yes, I hate the thought of any being suffering, whether it be wild or domestic. Any killing should be quick and clean, I know that is what I would like for myself! Not all wildlife encounters are happy affairs. There are some things that I see that I do not post because it would feel like taking advantage of some unfortunate circumstance. As for co-existing with the javelina, it works out for us because my wife does not leave the house except in her car, and I take a good look around before I go outside on foot. I am a "live and let live" kind of person, and I wish the javelina no ill will. Eating some plants is really no big deal. I get really close to them sometimes, but in most instances, there is a 5 foot brick wall between me and them. The other times I get close, it is inadvertent, like javelina coming out from behind a prickly pear plant or some such thing. Generally speaking, we get along just fine. We kind of have to since my home is on one of the game trails that the javelina use to get around the area! I love seeing the javelina, and I am actually glad it is a fairly frequent occurrence for me!

Excellent to hear, bkolodzi! I feel pretty much the same. I don't actually know if javelina would attack if humans even accidently cornered them. They might, though, especially if you corner young javelina and their mother. Other than that, I'm sure they'd rather just be left alone. I really enjoy this thread because I care about animals and their welfare. Thanks for posting this thread and keeping it going.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:24 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
That little javvie in the YouTube screen cap looks really well groomed LOL. Never came into contact with one while I lived in AZ. Never even saw one either. We had coyotes all over the golf course by my condo though. They slept on the golf course curled up like dogs. That was in 2010. By the time I left AZ in 2016 they hadn't done that in a long time. It was cute. (I know javelinas aren't cute or cute acting!!)

Old 05-12-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That little javvie in the YouTube screen cap looks really well groomed LOL. Never came into contact with one while I lived in AZ. Never even saw one either. We had coyotes all over the golf course by my condo though. They slept on the golf course curled up like dogs. That was in 2010. By the time I left AZ in 2016 they hadn't done that in a long time. It was cute. (I know javelinas aren't cute or cute acting!!)
Hey pathrunner, I am amazed that you never saw a javelina while living in AZ! What part of AZ did you live in? I have to disagree with you about javelina being cute. I think they are pretty cute, especially the babies! Check out this video to see FOUR little babies I just saw a few days ago on Mother's Day, and see if you change your mind! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jIWUAE0WY&t=3s

Old 05-12-2021, 08:33 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,881,999 times
Aww, look how cute! Why did I even say that earlier, I have no idea LOL. I guess there aren't any in the Mountain Preserves in town. Once I went to buy a couch from somebody up in North Scottsdale and she told me they had a javelina that would always hijack their spa next to the pool if they forgot to put the cover back on!

Old 05-12-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Aww, look how cute! Why did I even say that earlier, I have no idea LOL. I guess there aren't any in the Mountain Preserves in town. Once I went to buy a couch from somebody up in North Scottsdale and she told me they had a javelina that would always hijack their spa next to the pool if they forgot to put the cover back on!
Ok, the idea of a bunch of javelina in a spa strikes me as pretty funny!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson