U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 10:19 AM

766 posts, read 597,218 times

Advertisements

Momma Hawk kicks what appears to be her mate out of the nest twice!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bm0xn9qkk
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 02:35 PM

412 posts, read 241,646 times
Wow, very interesting. She and the other one were such a team earlier on, taking turns sitting on the nest. I hope she can grab a meal occasionally. She's very protective of her nest, that's for sure. Good video, thank you.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Wow, very interesting. She and the other one were such a team earlier on, taking turns sitting on the nest. I hope she can grab a meal occasionally. She's very protective of her nest, that's for sure. Good video, thank you.
Thanks for watching and your comment wildflowers27! I have this video out to a couple of experts, it is possible that this is not the mate, and that would explain everything. I'll let you know what they have to say once I hear back from them.

Old 05-16-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Thanks for watching and your comment wildflowers27! I have this video out to a couple of experts, it is possible that this is not the mate, and that would explain everything. I'll let you know what they have to say once I hear back from them.
That could be it. The look on her face was definitely not the same as when she was sharing nursery duty with her mate in your prior video. But then who is this new guy and what is his interest in the nest? Looking forward to what your experts think!

Old 05-16-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
That could be it. The look on her face was definitely not the same as when she was sharing nursery duty with her mate in your prior video. But then who is this new guy and what is his interest in the nest? Looking forward to what your experts think!
According to an expert (Ed), this hawk that was run off by the female is a 1 year old female interloper. I have no idea why she is approaching this nest. Here are Ed's exact words: "After viewing both videos on nest-building and incubation....both birds in that time period were adults. The intruder being chased off in the recent video is a 1 year old juvenile. So given the hostile greetings I would surmise that the juvenile is an unwelcome intruder looking for a territory. I get the impression that both the juvenile and defending female are the same size - so I would call the intruder a female. A male is 2/3 the size of the female and would know better than approaching a female due to their superior size and ferocity.

In general, 1 year old females, still in juvenile plumage, will almost always nest and 1 year old males will almost never nest ( 13 out of 728 nests in a long study)."

Old 05-16-2021, 09:24 PM

A female?? That is amazing. My first thought when I read this is it has the makings of a Lifetime Channel for Women drama where a childless female tries to steal another woman's baby. The intruder hawk seemed really intent on getting to that nest. Their interactions are more complex than I ever would have imagined.

Many thanks to expert Ed for his analysis and great information. And to you for documenting this nesting activity!

Old 05-16-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
A female?? That is amazing. My first thought when I read this is it has the makings of a Lifetime Channel for Women drama where a childless female tries to steal another woman's baby. The intruder hawk seemed really intent on getting to that nest. Their interactions are more complex than I ever would have imagined.

Many thanks to expert Ed for his analysis and great information. And to you for documenting this nesting activity!
Nature certainly is interesting, that is for sure! Yes, thanks to my expert resources, John and Ed!!!

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

2,577 posts, read 2,451,867 times
Watching bird behaviors is so fascinating. Do you think she sees you filming?

Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM

7,728 posts, read 7,419,234 times
A female interloper Cooper's Hawk? Wow...this is filling up with more drama as we go here. Your expert advice that you got really helps explain things better, thanks for that, Bart. And thanks to the people giving the expert advice. It's all a very interesting study on something I knew very little about before this.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Watching bird behaviors is so fascinating. Do you think she sees you filming?
I cannot be sure Windwalker2, but what I can say is that there are times she appears to look directly in to the camera. I am taking my video from a couple of hundred feet away. One reason is because it is the best place to get a look at the nest, and the other reason is that I do not want to stress Momma out by getting too close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: