U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2021, 01:01 PM

904 posts, read 863,916 times

Advertisements

In this video, the male Cooper's Hawk brings a kill to the nest and leaves it for the female to feed on. When she is done, she takes the kill away from the nest, possibly to stash it for later use. During the few minutes she is gone, we see a bright white hatchling moving about the nest. I know it is not the best look, but it does raise it's head above the edge of the nest so you can see the fluffy white head and an eye (I show this at regular speed, then again in slow motion). Just a few minutes later Momma returns to the nest to care for her new baby or babies. As the hatchlings grow, I am sure we will get a much better look at them!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9rKyDrbCqg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 02:33 PM

523 posts, read 379,099 times
What a happy day in the nest! Great to see the male bringing her food, and the baby's little downy head is the sweetest! They'll no doubt be busy as the youngster(s) grow and eat more. You were there at just the right time to catch him flying into the nest with lunch. Nice accompanying music too. Really heart-warming, Bart, thank you.

Old 05-23-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
What a happy day in the nest! Great to see the male bringing her food, and the baby's little downy head is the sweetest! They'll no doubt be busy as the youngster(s) grow and eat more. You were there at just the right time to catch him flying into the nest with lunch. Nice accompanying music too. Really heart-warming, Bart, thank you.
Thanks for your kind words wildflowers27! You are right! I had only been there about 24 minutes when the male showed up at the nest with the kill. I stayed for the hour, but had I showed up 30 minutes earlier or later, I would have missed it all!!! Better lucky than good in many cases!!!

Old 05-24-2021, 12:26 PM

1,297 posts, read 611,717 times
I love it when men fetch dinner.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:40 PM

2,625 posts, read 2,533,642 times
Great video. I wonder if the baby got some too?

Old 05-24-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I love it when men fetch dinner.
According to what I read, while the female is dealing with the chicks, the male has to kill about 6 times a day to keep everyone fed! That sounds like a tough life!!!

Old 05-24-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Great video. I wonder if the baby got some too?
To me, it kind of looked like it, but the babies are so low in the nest, it is hard to see what is going on in there. I have an expert on Cooper's Hawks providing guidance in terms of what is going on, and he said this: "For at least part of the video she is feeding the chick. Sometimes the piece of meat is too big for the chick and the female swallows it." So I guess the baby probably got some!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson