U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 06:13 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,174,728 times

Advertisements

My across the street neighbor, Ellie called me to tell me there was a Gila Monster on her front porch. I had just come home for lunch after working with Heinz in the morning, so I immediately got my camera and went to Ellie's to see if the Gila Monster was still there, and it was. I got a quick video which is shaky, but later, I went back with a tripod and did a much better job! It is rare to even see one of these as they spend most of their lives underground. The come out in the Spring for a couple of months to eat and mate, then they are gone again for 9 to 10 months. They store their energy from their kills in their tail. These lizards are venomous, but generally not deadly to humans. The bite is said to be quite painful as the Gila Monster does not let go, and grinds it's venom with it's teeth. Usually the only way a human is bitten is by messing around with one, which I do not do. Anyway, I hope you enjoy a good look at this rarely seen beaded lizard!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLTIjM52txM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 05:47 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,577,389 times
Great shot!! Only saw one "in the wild" in Green Valley. Driving on the frontage road just south of West Calle Tres. The critter, a beautiful eight or ten inch long one with vibrant colors was crossing the road. I stopped our car (flashers on) and made sure it got across the road safely.

Had a chance to "pet" one at an outdoor display of various local critters. Skin felt nice and soft.

Rich

Edit: I have a theory. Had these lizards been named "Rainbow lizards" and not "Gila Monsters" their PR problems would have been much less!

Old 06-04-2021, 02:30 PM

739 posts, read 616,630 times
Really beautiful creature. I agree with Rich, they should be named Rainbow lizards! There is nothing monstrous about this little guy. And what a cozy and well protected resting spot. Very nice of your neighbor to let you know, and you for sharing this with us.

Back in the 1980's visiting my parents in Green Valley, there was one inside their walled yard. My father and I coaxed it into a bucket and I took it across the arroyo and let it go in the desert (before there were any houses there). It slowly walked away, not in any hurry.

Thank you, Bart, for this up-close look with your tripod!

Old 06-05-2021, 07:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,095,596 times
All I can say is, wow!

Old 06-07-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Great shot!! Only saw one "in the wild" in Green Valley. Driving on the frontage road just south of West Calle Tres. The critter, a beautiful eight or ten inch long one with vibrant colors was crossing the road. I stopped our car (flashers on) and made sure it got across the road safely.

Had a chance to "pet" one at an outdoor display of various local critters. Skin felt nice and soft.

Rich

Edit: I have a theory. Had these lizards been named "Rainbow lizards" and not "Gila Monsters" their PR problems would have been much less!
Thanks for the kind words Rich! Thanks for protecting the one you saw and making sure it got across the road! Wow, I am not sure I would pet one if I had the chance! I understand that when they bite, they do not let go, and the bite is quite painful!!!

Old 06-07-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Really beautiful creature. I agree with Rich, they should be named Rainbow lizards! There is nothing monstrous about this little guy. And what a cozy and well protected resting spot. Very nice of your neighbor to let you know, and you for sharing this with us.

Back in the 1980's visiting my parents in Green Valley, there was one inside their walled yard. My father and I coaxed it into a bucket and I took it across the arroyo and let it go in the desert (before there were any houses there). It slowly walked away, not in any hurry.

Thank you, Bart, for this up-close look with your tripod!
I am glad you enjoyed the video wildflowers27! How good of you and your father to humanely capture and re-locate the Rainbow Lizard!!! I kind of like the Gila Monster name, because that name might keep people from messing around with them! Guess who gets bitten most often? Yep, young human males trying to show off or whatever. Yeah, that tripod is a great tool, but I just do not want to carry it on every walk, thus, I do not always have it. It only weighs a few pounds, but feels like 100 pounds after a couple of miles!!!

Old 06-07-2021, 03:02 PM

739 posts, read 616,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
I kind of like the Gila Monster name, because that name might keep people from messing around with them!
I hadn't thought of it this way, but you're absolutely right and I agree.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:07 PM

46,230 posts, read 41,238,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
I am glad you enjoyed the video wildflowers27! How good of you and your father to humanely capture and re-locate the Rainbow Lizard!!! I kind of like the Gila Monster name, because that name might keep people from messing around with them! Guess who gets bitten most often? Yep, young human males trying to show off or whatever. Yeah, that tripod is a great tool, but I just do not want to carry it on every walk, thus, I do not always have it. It only weighs a few pounds, but feels like 100 pounds after a couple of miles!!!
I have a super light one from Nikon I use with my spotting scope. Weighs ounces.

Old 06-07-2021, 03:15 PM

2,317 posts, read 1,677,872 times
purty lizard.

I would offer him a 1/2 dozen crickets + a frozen baby mouse, and say "there's more where that came from, if you eat every scorpion for a 500 yard radius"

Old 06-07-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I have a super light one from Nikon I use with my spotting scope. Weighs ounces.
I will have to look in to that, thanks for the tip 1AngryTaxPayer! Fyi, I am also an angry TaxPayer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: