Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 12:08 PM

721 posts, read 996,456 times

Advertisements

We moved here in 2018 with plans to explore the area by car. We had only scratched the surface and then Covid hit and we went nowhere for over a year. Now that we are vaccinated we are beginning to venture out again.

Yesterday we drove up to Tempe to see my grandson and we took Historic Route 80. It was so lovely and there was very little traffic. When I got home I looked it up and saw that it was once the main route before the 10 was built. Now I am intrigued by these off-the-beaten-path roads.

If you have other suggestions for some interesting roads we could take I would love to hear about them. Thinking of ones where we could stop and picnic. Things like that. No dirt roads please. My husband will not drive on those.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 07:04 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Go out to Sonoita, head over to Patagonia then keep going to Nogales. Take I-19 up from Nogales and hit Tumacacori Mission and then San Xavier Mission. If I had to pick one drive for people to take around southern Arizona to take up most of the day that would be it.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:25 AM

721 posts, read 996,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Go out to Sonoita, head over to Patagonia then keep going to Nogales. Take I-19 up from Nogales and hit Tumacacori Mission and then San Xavier Mission. If I had to pick one drive for people to take around southern Arizona to take up most of the day that would be it.
Oh that is on my list for sure. I think it goes past a real lake does it not?

Old 04-19-2021, 09:31 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Oh that is on my list for sure. I think it goes past a real lake does it not?
Pretty close to one.

If you like old movies, the musical "Oklahoma" was filmed out in Sonoita. Couple of spots still around that were featured in the movie.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
We moved here in 2018 with plans to explore the area by car. We had only scratched the surface and then Covid hit and we went nowhere for over a year. Now that we are vaccinated we are beginning to venture out again.

Yesterday we drove up to Tempe to see my grandson and we took Historic Route 80. It was so lovely and there was very little traffic. When I got home I looked it up and saw that it was once the main route before the 10 was built. Now I am intrigued by these off-the-beaten-path roads.

If you have other suggestions for some interesting roads we could take I would love to hear about them. Thinking of ones where we could stop and picnic. Things like that. No dirt roads please. My husband will not drive on those.

Thanks!
That's really a shame. As you'll never get to see the Apache Trail (Rte.88) from Apache Junction to the Roosevelt Dam. It's got to be one of thee most spectacular drives in all of Arizona. You can stop and picnic at Apache Lake. It's paved until you get a few miles past Tortilla Flat. There's a recreation area at Tortilla Flat where you can picnic and there's also a Gift shop/Saloon/Country store at Tortilla Flat. Of course you can always go that far and turn around and go back. At least if you do that you'll see the Superstition Mountains and Canyon Lake.

Driving on the dirt road is no big deal. You can do it by car and do not need four wheel drive. We did it in a small rental car on our first trip out here and again in an SUV with our neighbors. The fastest you'll be going is maybe 15 mph and in some parts slower than that especially when you get to Fish Creek Canyon. You'll be thoroughly awestruck the entire way. Just "click" on the thumbnails below to get some idea of what it's like. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Attached Thumbnails
Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3746.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3734.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3765.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3775.jpg   Historic Routes in Arizona-img_3772.jpg  

Old 04-19-2021, 01:36 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
My, my, my. Where to start. Go north out of Tucson on Granada/Oracle Road. It turns to AZ 77. When you get to Oracle Jct., turn left and go a few mile to see where Tom Mix drove off the road. There's a picnic site nearby. Keep going until you get to Florence, then to Florence Junction following signs for AZ 77. There go west on US 60 until you get to Apache Junction. Get off @ Idaho Road, SR 88 and go north. That's the Apache Trail.

Or. Go east on I-10. Stop and see what used to be Wilcox, if you want. Continue to US 191 N. Take that to Safford. Turn right on US 70 (also US 191) and go east. Follow the signs for US 191 through Clifton and Morenci. US 191 used to be US 666. You'll probably want to stop and take a look around Clifton, it's pretty neat, though not very much open there. Then past Morenci, you'll see the open pit copper mine. If you're really brave, go ahead on up to the mountains and on to Alpine. You'll pass Hanigan meadows. Now that, is a nice drive.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:40 PM

80 posts, read 112,353 times
Reference the Apache Trail road--unless they've put in a guard-rail since husband & I drove it, you'll be terrified!!!!!

Old 06-27-2021, 07:57 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's really a shame. As you'll never get to see the Apache Trail (Rte.88) from Apache Junction to the Roosevelt Dam. It's got to be one of thee most spectacular drives in all of Arizona. You can stop and picnic at Apache Lake. It's paved until you get a few miles past Tortilla Flat. There's a recreation area at Tortilla Flat where you can picnic and there's also a Gift shop/Saloon/Country store at Tortilla Flat. Of course you can always go that far and turn around and go back. At least if you do that you'll see the Superstition Mountains and Canyon Lake.

Driving on the dirt road is no big deal. You can do it by car and do not need four wheel drive. We did it in a small rental car on our first trip out here and again in an SUV with our neighbors. The fastest you'll be going is maybe 15 mph and in some parts slower than that especially when you get to Fish Creek Canyon. You'll be thoroughly awestruck the entire way. Just "click" on the thumbnails below to get some idea of what it's like. But that's just the tip of the iceberg.
That is a spectacular drive. We didn't know it was all dirt when we started at Roosevelt Lake, but enjoyed the trip. Even saw some big horn sheep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson