Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 09:57 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned, I was out walking and saw this pack rat trap in a neighbor's yard and something was in it, but it did not look like a pack rat. I took a closer look, and saw that a large Gila Monster was in the trap. I compared markings with the Gila Monster I saw two days ago on Monday, and it could be the same one, but I am not certain. Anyhow, I knew I had to do something to set it free. I was worried that it might get wet or cold and possibly die. I went home and got a cultivator off of the wall, then called my neighbors and friends, Keith and Petra to see if they would come help me rescue this legendary lizard, and of course they agreed! Once they got there, we strategized, and just as we were about to execute our plan, a couple of my walking friends, Tom and Sherry happened by and witnessed our efforts. The video (thanks for shooting most of it Petra!) pretty much tells the rest. In all honesty, I was really hoping we would open the trap, back away and it would crawl back in to it's den. In the end, it required me to be much closer to the Gila Monster than I was comfortable with, but I am glad we were able to get it completely out of the trap and see it go back in to it's den! Thanks again to Keith and Petra for their willingness to help and their actual help. Thanks to Tom and Sherry for their moral support and for witnessing the whole process! Finally, thanks to the Gila Monster for not hurting me or even hissing! I hope the Gila Monster knew we were there to help it and was not too stressed by the rescue. I hope you can watch the whole thing, but if not, please watch as much as you can, then jump to the last 1:30 to close the book on this rescue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkmyizBeu8o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 11:08 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
What a lovely creature. One has to be patient with reptiles and you certainly were that.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:46 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
A very good job well done, y'all ...

Old 07-22-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
What a lovely creature. One has to be patient with reptiles and you certainly were that.
It certainly was a gorgeous lizard! I am certainly no reptile expert, but part of my "patience" was just not wanting to get bitten! The other part was not to stress out the animal any more than it already was from being trapped. Thanks for watching and your comment verybadgnome!

Old 07-22-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
A very good job well done, y'all ...
Thanks for watching and your comment Hawk J! I am glad the whole thing turned out well for all involved, especially the Gila Monster!

Old 07-22-2021, 06:42 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Your concern for this beautiful creature was most touching. I was as relieved as you were when he returned to his den. Kudos to you!

Old 07-22-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Your concern for this beautiful creature was most touching. I was as relieved as you were when he returned to his den. Kudos to you!
Thanks for your kind words RomulusXXV! It was a very rewarding feeling to see this lovely creature return to it's den, it is precisely what we app hoped for! Thanks for watching!!!

Old 07-22-2021, 08:20 AM

810 posts, read 870,015 times
Wonderful to watch this, Bart! Interesting he didn't want to leave the wire cage but slowly followed your coaxing. And no hissing or sudden moves - he must have known you were there to help. A happy sight to watch him returning to his underground burrow. Great job to you and your neighbors!!

Old 07-22-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Wonderful to watch this, Bart! Interesting he didn't want to leave the wire cage but slowly followed your coaxing. And no hissing or sudden moves - he must have known you were there to help. A happy sight to watch him returning to his underground burrow. Great job to you and your neighbors!!
Thanks for watching wildflowers27! It could not have turned out any better, at least in my mind! I was really amazed that the Gila did not get aggressive at all, not even a hiss! Maybe it did sense we were there to help. I am also thankful to my neighbors, Petra and Keith wo were willing to go help me rescue this lovely lizard at 6am!!! It really was heartwarming to me to see it return to the den, I was certainly relieved!!!

Old 07-22-2021, 03:29 PM

363 posts, read 442,699 times
Amazing video! I am glad he got back home safe!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: