Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:46 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,119 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid I was never bored either. There was always something to do. It isn't the town or city that makes things to do.

I would get together with friends. we would do lot's of things like play board games, catch, ride our bikes, softball, foot ball, etc.

I also built model cars, read car magazines, went to the library.

Since my brother was much younger and my sister was older I did many things by myself. But I was always occupied.

I should also note that I usually had no money. Some of my friends and I would look for empty pop bottles and bring them in for the deposit. Then we would buy candy. Granted there aren't bottles like that now but it was a way to make some money.

I can't imagine how someone could have nothing to do but surf the net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:32 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_miss View Post
ya think? do u know how bad i wanted to go to CA? IVE DREAMED ABOUT CALIFORNIA since i was young!!!
Dear Swiss Miss:
Poor bored thing. I feel for ya. We the residents of Arizona must be crazy people to live here. I personally had no choice... I was born here! Yeah, its hard to adjust to the heat, ain't it?
When my Dad & Mom followed others in the family and first moved here from a higher elevation near Las Cruces, New Mexico, Mom hated it. She prolly was dying from the heat, and bored as well, I dunno. By the way, this was back in the last century, way before "global warming" was a household word.
Believe it or not, the rest of my Dad's family moved on to - guess where? California! They're all still over there, and we never moved. Never! EVER!
Somehow Mom survived it all. Bless her heart.
Most young people here in Arizona have learned to survive the awful heat and boredom. How? By getting out and doing stuff. There have been many ideas given in this thread alone.
I'm sure that every state or town has its boring moments, but it all depends on the individual and what he/she does with it all. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:35 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,101,921 times
I completely agree. Anything indoors is far to overpriced for the value unless its walking around at the mall. Anything outdoors, all the enjoyment is sucked out by the overbearing sun and complete lack of moisture. Anything with regards to the arts is mediocre at best if you've lived close to another decent sized city.

I used to like riding my bike and hiking and camping until I moved here. I still try to enjoy it, but its just not fun.

I used to like playing music in bands, until I moved here. Quality is way down and I hate directors stopping to tell people stuff they should've learned in high school.

I used to like working in my garage, until I moved here. The heat and the dust makes it miserable.

Even if there was something here that I liked to do, I probably wouldn't have the time because traffic and the lights here are so horrible.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 AM

602 posts, read 2,064,631 times
Odinloki, why would you stay someplace that makes you miserable? Surely it's time to make a move, no?

I realize that sometimes your job, or school, or something else can delay one from living where they'd like to. I hope you find your way out of here soon. Life's too short to remain in a place that you dislike so.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:34 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Odinloki, why would you stay someplace that makes you miserable? Surely it's time to make a move, no?

I realize that sometimes your job, or school, or something else can delay one from living where they'd like to. I hope you find your way out of here soon. Life's too short to remain in a place that you dislike so.
I tried to rep ya, but apparently I have recently. But I couldn't agree more!!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:08 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Gee now here's a surprise, like a broken record you can always count on the same Tucson fan boyz and anti-Tucson contingent making an appearance on threads like these.

If there's any truth it lies somewhere between the two. Ironic that those who voice their disagreement to thread topic perpetuate the thread (and its popularity) through their verbosity.

No doubt comments will be made to this post too. So let's get on with perpetuation!!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Gee now here's a surprise, like a broken record you can always count on the same Tucson fan boyz and anti-Tucson contingent making an appearance on threads like these.

If there's any truth it lies somewhere between the two. Ironic that those who voice their disagreement to thread topic perpetuate the thread (and its popularity) through their verbosity.

No doubt comments will be made to this post too. So let's get on with perpetuation!!
Pot, meet kettle.

Talk about predictable. Your every post is a very minor variation on the same negative theme. You like living in 6 loooong months of winter up in Grand Rapids? More power to you. To me, that would be sheer misery (and naturally, I wouldn't stay). But I wouldn't trash the place, or the people that liked it, because I'd recognize that it's a matter of personal taste.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Quote:
You like living in 6 loooong months of winter up in Grand Rapids? More power to you. To me, that would be sheer misery (and naturally, I wouldn't stay). But I wouldn't trash the place, or the people that liked it, because I'd recognize that it's a matter of personal taste.

That's exactly right.

America is a beautiful country with so many different types of scenery, climate, etc. We all have different tastes, some people like having four seasons and if that's what they like I think that's great, personally I'll take as much sunshine and warm weather as I can get, I don't need the rain or snow. It doesn't mean my preference is any better than someone elses though, nothing wrong with admitting we would never want to live in a certain area, no need to knock it or those who do like it in the process though.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:41 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Pot, meet kettle.
I rest my case.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:12 AM

41 posts, read 216,000 times
You know the old saying, opinions are like --------, everyone has one". Instead of attacking someone's opinion, whether negative or positive, in your opinion, just let it be.
Then state your opinion w/o referencing the other person. 99% of the time you won't change the other guy's mind.
Also, there is another old saying, which says: "that's why Howard Johnson's made 26? flavors" of ice cream. Just because I like vanilla doesn't mean that the person who likes strawberry is wrong.
Cool it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson