Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 34,086 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are planning on moving to Arizona in late '09 early '10. We want to live near Tucson but feel from research that the inner city is too crime-ridden and not very established. We already live in a city like that and do not want to live in another. We are currently looking into the suburbs of Tucson. So far we are really interested in Oro Valley, which is a bit expensive as well as Sahuarita. Sahuarita seems to be a decent place and after doing real estate searches as well as using the info from city-data.com it seems like a family-friendly place. Problem is though we want to live in a nice suburb but not in a gated community. We came across a good amount of houses they are in Rancho Sahuarita, which is I am not mistaken, a gated community. We came across a few reasonable priced homes as well.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on Sahuarita that would help us or any info that may help us choose a better family-friendly city in the suburbs of Tucson.

Here are our preferences.

Single family home.
Low crime rate.
Home priced between 100,000 and 200,000.
Not in a gated community.
3 bedrooms and 2 baths.
Family-friendly neighborhood.
Family includes: Mother (49), Father (50), Daughter (16). There is also a possibility of our other daughter and granddaughter coming with us. Our other daughter is 20 and our granddaughter is one. By the time we move we will be basically 1-2 years older than the ages listed, depending on when we move.

Last edited by HomeBound10; 05-14-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM

529 posts, read 2,385,047 times
As far as I know Rancho Sahuarita is not gated. There may be a couple gated parts but 95% is open to the public.

Perhaps you were thinking of Rancho Resort (near bottom of page)?

Quote:
The Courtyards and Madera Village by Hamco Homes are located within the award-winning, gated community of Rancho Resort. Hamco, a builder of active adult neighborhoods, offers both quality and value at Madera Village and The Courtyards. Rancho Resort offers the best of distinctive yet affordable homes, designed for your active adult lifestyle.
For that price range you should be able to find plenty of homes in Rancho Sahuarita for sale. Especially with the incentive laden new homes.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
As far as I know Rancho Sahuarita is not gated. There may be a couple gated parts but 95% is open to the public.

Perhaps you were thinking of Rancho Resort (near bottom of page)?

For that price range you should be able to find plenty of homes in Rancho Sahuarita for sale. Especially with the incentive laden new homes.
Well when I was searching for homes they continuously showed houses in Rancho Sahuarita along with parts of the Resort, so I assumed they were together. Thanks for the info though! Knowing that Rancho Sahuarita is not a gated community opens up so many more opportunities for houses.

One more question though.
Anyone have an idea of house bad the bug problem is down there. I have heard the problems with scorpions and spider are pretty bad in Arizona. I can deal with scorpions, but I won't even go 20 feet near a spider. But since I am moving to Arizona, I will have to learn to live with them.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:01 AM

176 posts, read 539,997 times
There are indeed spiders everywhere! But not really inside the house per see--- but go out into the patio and there they are. They do hide, though, so it's not like you'll see a big nastly looking spider when you walk right outside-- but look in a corner and there will likely be one there. And we do get a lot of black widows. But they are not aggressive and don't like to be near people.
Scorpions are afraid of people as well, but not vinagaroons, who look like scorpions but have bigger claws which they wave at people.
Be very careful of scorpions, since they are very dangerous to young children. Exterminators offer inexpensive maintenence, but we havenever needed to use them. Just don't leave stuff outside and you'll be fine.
As far as Rancho Sahuarita goes, most of ot is not gated. My community- which we will be leaving shortly for an out-of-state job (email me at littlewmn@hotmail.com if you want info on my house)- is not gated. There are many great houses in RS- mine is a block from the park and a block or so from Rancho Resort, which is the retirement communty section.
The whole town has use of the lake, and use of the clubhouse and waterpark is restricted (must show id) but not gated.
Most houses are within your range. Never seen any crime. My neighbor has occasionall left her garage door open and nothing was taken. There are no pedophiles in the whole area at last search (I am a mom, so I do research these things regularly). When a suspicios vehicle showed up at a park last year a neighborhood watch group was formed (the leader of the group lives on my block). Some areas are brand new with little landscaping and ongoing construction and others are older by a few years with large trees.
If you want new construction, it is available cheaply, with some houses to rent in the area while yours is being built, or rent-to-own.
It's a great place to live, and while some development secions (called "Presidios") are a bit cookie cutter, others are unique facades. In mine, neighboring houses must have different facades and colors.
Any young child would be very happy here! Teens have their own teen room with a great big-screen tv and video game access at the Clubhouse.
Great community-- happy to answer any questions!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
There are indeed spiders everywhere! But not really inside the house per see--- but go out into the patio and there they are. They do hide, though, so it's not like you'll see a big nastly looking spider when you walk right outside-- but look in a corner and there will likely be one there. And we do get a lot of black widows. But they are not aggressive and don't like to be near people.
Scorpions are afraid of people as well, but not vinagaroons, who look like scorpions but have bigger claws which they wave at people.
Be very careful of scorpions, since they are very dangerous to young children. Exterminators offer inexpensive maintenence, but we havenever needed to use them. Just don't leave stuff outside and you'll be fine.
As far as Rancho Sahuarita goes, most of ot is not gated. My community- which we will be leaving shortly for an out-of-state job (email me at littlewmn@hotmail.com if you want info on my house)- is not gated. There are many great houses in RS- mine is a block from the park and a block or so from Rancho Resort, which is the retirement communty section.
The whole town has use of the lake, and use of the clubhouse and waterpark is restricted (must show id) but not gated.
Most houses are within your range. Never seen any crime. My neighbor has occasionall left her garage door open and nothing was taken. There are no pedophiles in the whole area at last search (I am a mom, so I do research these things regularly). When a suspicios vehicle showed up at a park last year a neighborhood watch group was formed (the leader of the group lives on my block). Some areas are brand new with little landscaping and ongoing construction and others are older by a few years with large trees.
If you want new construction, it is available cheaply, with some houses to rent in the area while yours is being built, or rent-to-own.
It's a great place to live, and while some development secions (called "Presidios") are a bit cookie cutter, others are unique facades. In mine, neighboring houses must have different facades and colors.
Any young child would be very happy here! Teens have their own teen room with a great big-screen tv and video game access at the Clubhouse.
Great community-- happy to answer any questions!
ehhh spiders. lol. That is what exterminators are for. I will definitely be looking into the are thanks to your feedback. You make it sound like heaven on earth, except for the bugs and the heat. I heard that a lot of new built houses will have more bug because the ground is freshly dug up, so I plan on looking into some of the older houses, but still nice ones. Unless whoever said that had it backwards. Since it will most likely be me, my husband, and our 16-year-old daughter, this looks like an excellent place to live. It isn't too far from Tucson and it has everything you need right in one area!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:49 AM

8 posts, read 46,563 times
If I were you, I would rent in Tucson and check out the areas first. You might be surprised at what you like since everything is a new experience. As far as spiders go, I was born and raised in the desert and I can't remember having a problem with anything except jumping cactus.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 PM

176 posts, read 539,997 times
New homes, old homes no difference. Spiders are still everywhere.
Welcome to desert life.
Well- it's a great little community here.. and Tucson is even cooler than Phoenix, but it is still unbearably hot.
If you don't drain like a battery in the sun (I do!) it is great out here.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicBetty View Post
If I were you, I would rent in Tucson and check out the areas first. You might be surprised at what you like since everything is a new experience. As far as spiders go, I was born and raised in the desert and I can't remember having a problem with anything except jumping cactus.
We won't be able to rent. But my husband's company is paying for us to fly out there and explore the areas, look at houses, etc. Since they are also paying the down payment on the house we choose, we will not be able to rent. So within the next year we will be out there a few times in order to check out the areas and look at homes.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:35 AM

11 posts, read 31,418 times
Hi Home! Yes definately do a 'looky loo' before you decide.
The most imortant consideration is WHERE your husbands
place of employment is located. RS development is at least
a 40 minute trek on the freeway to the middle of Tucson.
Additionally, all the newer developments are typically of
frame/stucco structure. If you like brick and mortor and
you can live closer in you may consider a mature home
with your own ameneties like a pool and nearby park.
Also with a sixteen year old you may want to consider
being closer to the activities of population like malls/
theaters/skating rinks etc. RS is located in a desert
area which is fighting for water right now. Be careful.
I have resided in this area for 40 years and would be
glad to answer any questions I can and I am connected
to a local/nationwide group of real estate investors.
Linda createntworthusa@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson