U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

936 posts, read 891,620 times

Advertisements

These are three javelina encounters from my walks just this week! Each time it was a solitary javelina, and for whatever reason, they wanted to get a better look at me and got very close, like 10 feet or so, which is only about 3 steps! Each time, the encounter ended peacefully. The first encounter was on Sunday 10/3/2021 at 7:22 on Mission Twin Buttes near La Canada. The second encounter was on 10/6/2021 at 6:20 on Calle Lecho in front of Keith and Petra's house just around the corner from Calle Montanosa. The last one was from this morning (10/10/2021) at about 8 am again on Mission Twin Buttes near La Canada.

I hope you enjoy the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDk7n94hziE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

16,474 posts, read 19,939,424 times
Be careful, pard. You never know what a wild critter might do.
I would carry some protection, in case it's needed.
Have a great evening...

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

559 posts, read 406,539 times
Those were really close-up encounters. They seemed to all want to get a sniff and look at you, with more interest than when you film them in groups. I wonder where the rest of the squadron was. When you made a sound, they respected you and backed away. Interesting to watch their behavior. Because you walk so often (with the same hat on?), maybe they recognize you and were stepping up to get a closer look. Or maybe these ones were new in the 'hood. Made me a little nervous watching it, and glad they went on their way!

The video still of this one standing is good. Note the hair sticking straight up on his head, his rounded ears cupped forward, and the fur above his hooves like little black socks. Pretty cute. A little more distance between you and him might not be a bad thing, though. Thank you for the video!

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Be careful, pard. You never know what a wild critter might do.
I would carry some protection, in case it's needed.
Have a great evening...
I hear you Hawk J! As soon as I saw them, I stopped or even moved to the opposite side of the street. In my 8 years here of walking here in Green Valley, I have found that standing my ground or backing up slowly while facing them has worked for me. One lady left a comment saying that she carries bear spray, and has not had to use it so far. I used to carry a mini boat horn in a can, but I used it once and it had no effect, so I do not bother with it any longer.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
Those were really close-up encounters. They seemed to all want to get a sniff and look at you, with more interest than when you film them in groups. I wonder where the rest of the squadron was. When you made a sound, they respected you and backed away. Interesting to watch their behavior. Because you walk so often (with the same hat on?), maybe they recognize you and were stepping up to get a closer look. Or maybe these ones were new in the 'hood. Made me a little nervous watching it, and glad they went on their way!

The video still of this one standing is good. Note the hair sticking straight up on his head, his rounded ears cupped forward, and the fur above his hooves like little black socks. Pretty cute. A little more distance between you and him might not be a bad thing, though. Thank you for the video!
You know wildflowers27, I really do wonder of they recognize me sometimes! I wear a desert hat with a neck curtain (at my wife's urging so I do not get cancer on my ears), shorts, t-shirt and sunglasses when I go walking, so pretty much the same thing every day. I did not do anything to draw them to me. I never feed them. I just stop and pull out my camera, and like you said, they seem to want to come and get a closer look and a good sniff. I do keep escape routes like trees and fences in mind as I walk, but these little guys are quite fast and athletic, so I am not sure if my escape plans would work, and I hope I never have to find out!!!

Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 2,160,311 times
Great video! If their eyesight is bad then perhaps you smell good to them?

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

2,383 posts, read 2,160,311 times
I'm not able to edit my post but I meant that in a good way. ;-)

Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Great video! If their eyesight is bad then perhaps you smell good to them?
Well, I do shower on a daily basis PhureeKeeper! ;-)

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I'm not able to edit my post but I meant that in a good way. ;-)
I understand, no offense taken! ;-)

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,753,968 times
They are wondering how you would taste with a nice Chianti.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: