U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 03:54 PM

958 posts, read 933,657 times

Advertisements

I have a viewer of my youtube channel who is a retired single male who is looking to move to Green Valley that has asked me about African American folks in the area around his age (60ish). I sent him some links for the population break down by race in Green Valley and Tucson, but I thought I would post this and see if any African American folks would like to respond with information I could pass on to him regarding your experience in the area, or any other information you feel would be helpful to this man. I will also send him a link to this thread on this forum so he can read your responses for himself. Thank you in advance for any replies that may be helpful to this gentleman.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 05:25 AM

3,635 posts, read 8,267,253 times
Have a small handful of Black friends and acquaintances here in Tucson. Probably their biggest complaint is there doesn't seem to be any center of Black culture, which for them meant a church that was predominately Black. Even Phoenix has a historically Black neighborhood with several Black churches in that part of town. If there is a church like that in Tucson, they haven't found it yet.

Old 11-12-2021, 11:08 AM

199 posts, read 46,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Have a small handful of Black friends and acquaintances here in Tucson. Probably their biggest complaint is there doesn't seem to be any center of Black culture, which for them meant a church that was predominately Black. Even Phoenix has a historically Black neighborhood with several Black churches in that part of town. If there is a church like that in Tucson, they haven't found it yet.
I thought God was color blind?

Old 11-12-2021, 07:03 PM

3,635 posts, read 8,267,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
He is, but they do have culturally and historically black congregations in many cities.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:17 PM

7,040 posts, read 3,574,723 times
Quote:
Sure, but people aren't.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:47 AM

199 posts, read 46,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Sure, but people aren't.
That's so obvious by this thread.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:35 AM

215 posts, read 40,834 times
Why don't they just form their own church if it's that important to them to be segregated?

Old 11-15-2021, 11:48 AM

7,040 posts, read 3,574,723 times
I tend to hang out with people like me. Similar background, income, age. We all do that to some extent.
I don't get the resentment some people are showing on this thread.
When I said people aren't colorblind, I wasn't just talking about black people, it's everybody.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:14 PM

958 posts, read 933,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I tend to hang out with people like me. Similar background, income, age. We all do that to some extent.
I don't get the resentment some people are showing on this thread.
When I said people aren't colorblind, I wasn't just talking about black people, it's everybody.
I agree steiconi. I do not care what color a person is, but I do care about what kind of person they are. People here in Green Valley tend to coalesce in to groups around where they moved from, religious affiliation, political affiliation, country of origin all the way down to hobbies and other interests. I can see where black folks would want to get together with other black folks from time to time. I do not see that as segregation, just being in a comfort zone. Lots of US folks move to Mexico and other points on the globe and tend to move to places where there are other Americans.

I am not sure, but so far, it looks like all the replies to this thread are by non black folks. While I appreciate the discussion, I was sure hoping that some black folks would reply and help answer the question from the gentleman on youtube.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:25 PM

530 posts, read 419,606 times
Quote:
Do you attend a church that is mostly white? If the answer is yes, I'm not sure why you are offended at the idea of someone black wanting the same. Additionally Historically Black churches have different cultural styles, music is different etc... Would YOU attend a church where you were the racial minority and where the style of worship is completely different than what you are used to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson