Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 07:22 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any time a rail line is built, no matter what length, it stimulates construction, lots of apartment construction from the U of A to Menlo Park, haven't you noticed? It doesn't seem to happen along bus routes, for whatever reason.

The fact that there isn't an East-West Freeway is a big asset to Tucson, it deters many from moving here, and if any city runs out of water first, it will be Phoenix rather than Tucson.

I say let Phoenix grow and grow and grow, and eventually, I'm dreaming, there'll be a high speed rail line between Tucson and Phoenix, and Phoenix can utilize Tucson as a suburb. if the train travels at 300 miles an hour, the trip would only be 30+ minutes.

Any President that speaks out against military spending would never get re-elected, Bernie Sanders deems it political suicide, the biggest unaudited swamp in DC, and part of that swamp are unnecessary military bases that should be shut down, like Monathan. But we all know the reaction: it would impact the economy of Tucson, forgetting that it would also be a great relief to taxpayers.

Las Vegas has Nellis and Creech, and there's Edwards Air Force Base, isn't that enough?
At one time DM was far removed from Tucson, but that was quite a few years ago. Cities have a way of crowding around military bases no matter where they are. As houses get closer, noise complaints go up. Seems that a lot of folks don't have the IQ points to associate airplanes with noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 08:41 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
At one time DM was far removed from Tucson, but that was quite a few years ago. Cities have a way of crowding around military bases no matter where they are. As houses get closer, noise complaints go up. Seems that a lot of folks don't have the IQ points to associate airplanes with noise.
In my old neighborhood, they built a bunch of houses near the train tracks. People moved in and complained about the noise. Train drivers got mad and started blowing their whistles louder and longer, to the point that it would annoy me, a couple of miles away, when I had never heard them before.

I'm about 10 miles from the base here. Some loud aircraft rumbles over nearly every morning about 8.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:31 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
It's interesting that the most expensive housing seems to be on the north-east side of town, yet that is the farthest to drive to get to activities downtown? Which is quicker, far north-east neighborhoods or GV? Plays into my choices, I like to be able to get to a downtown in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:51 PM

297 posts, read 245,305 times
Default Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
I lived in Tucson for 5 years and I was struck by how scared they are of becoming Phoenix. It's like people don't recognize there is a happy medium.

The lack of an East/West Freeway or Expressway (no, Speedway does not count) is absurd. And they spent all that money on a streetcar that connects U of A to Downtown but does nothing for 99% of the city. Why not build a light rail system the way Phoenix did that actually gets people around the city? People there are so hostile to any kind of transportation or infrastructure project. It really hurts the economy and quality of life.
TooSad is a backward town with backward government. Might as well be in Mexico.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:55 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
I'm guessing because Tucson has a regressive government, is a NIMBY haven and a blue city. It's not politically balanced.

Old 01-21-2022, 04:12 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It's interesting that the most expensive housing seems to be on the north-east side of town, yet that is the farthest to drive to get to activities downtown? Which is quicker, far north-east neighborhoods or GV? Plays into my choices, I like to be able to get to a downtown in a reasonable amount of time.
I suspect the overwhelming majority never even think about going downtown, and I don't blame them.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:18 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I suspect the overwhelming majority never even think about going downtown, and I don't blame them.
Right. So all the people who live outside of the city have zero culture, love of arts, music venues, theater?
Maybe that's how you are, but I highly doubt your "overwhelming majority". Probably a small small minority.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:49 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Quote:
Used to live on that side of town, for years the east side of town tended to be the slightly more conservative side. Plus about the only place in town where people simply stay put and don't move out. Know a few second and third generation locals that all live within a 5-10 minute drive of their parents out there. Even my own siblings live within walking distance of my folks out on the east side.

Like anyone else, if there is a reason to go downtown for an activity they will make the drive. But for many, the center of cultural activities and sports watching in Tucson is the U of A and my family makes the trek down whenever they have the opportunity.

The east side is not for me, but I know it's amenities.

Old 01-22-2022, 04:52 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,823 times
Quote:
Right. So all the people who live outside of the city have zero culture, love of arts, music venues, theater?
Maybe that's how you are, but I highly doubt your "overwhelming majority". Probably a small small minority.
No need to be insulting, hon.

People get to a certain age and stage in life (elderly, have families, etc.) and don't have time or inclination to traipse to Tucson's dumpy little downtown for its "culture".

Old 01-22-2022, 06:40 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I'm guessing because Tucson has a regressive government, is a NIMBY haven and a blue city. It's not politically balanced.
Coming from 22 years in conservative, Mormon ruled Las Vegas/NV, and prior to that 21 years in Minneapolis, the San Francisco of the Midwest (when it comes to liberalism), I finally made my way here to the so-called Blue Island of the Southwest and I can "breathe" once again. I love seeing those Be Kind stickers around Tucson, and the friendliest people I've encountered anywhere.

Try to imagine, those 2 big chip plants they have in Phoenix, located here in Tucson! Imagine what that would do to the quaintness of this city!

One of the big pluses for coming here was the proximity to the Mexican Border, an overlooked asset, only an hour away. Buying prescription drugs without a prescription? Is that heaven or what!!! And medical professionals as well to see down there, besides Dental. And once there, feeling adventurous, take a bus to Hermosillo/Guaymas/San Carlos for a weekend.

Downtown Tucson needs something to draw people in, and how about a downtown Swap Meet, and more graffiti murals, as a number of cities now have graffiti mural tours of their cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson