Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 07:22 PM

30,855 posts, read 36,746,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGuterson View Post
I lived in Tucson for 5 years and I was struck by how scared they are of becoming Phoenix. It's like people don't recognize there is a happy medium.

The lack of an East/West Freeway or Expressway (no, Speedway does not count) is absurd. And they spent all that money on a streetcar that connects U of A to Downtown but does nothing for 99% of the city. Why not build a light rail system the way Phoenix did that actually gets people around the city? People there are so hostile to any kind of transportation or infrastructure project. It really hurts the economy and quality of life.
The short answer is Tucson is liberal. This article (from a liberal media outlet) explains it all:

Why Middle-Class Americans Can't Afford to Live in Liberal Cities

Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

There is a deep literature tying liberal residents to illiberal housing policies that create affordability crunches for the middle class. In 2010, UCLA economist Matthew Kahn published a study of California cities, which found that liberal metros issued fewer new housing permits. The correlation held over time: As California cities became more liberal, he said, they built fewer homes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...rdable/382045/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 08:22 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,165,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The short answer is Tucson is liberal. This article (from a liberal media outlet) explains it all:

Blue America has a problem: Even after adjusting for income, left-leaning metros tend to have worse income inequality and less affordable housing.

There is a deep literature tying liberal residents to illiberal housing policies that create affordability crunches for the middle class. In 2010, UCLA economist Matthew Kahn published a study of California cities, which found that liberal metros issued fewer new housing permits. The correlation held over time: As California cities became more liberal, he said, they built fewer homes.

That still doesn't answer the question about why Tucson resists transportation projects, such as an efficient freeway system & mass transit. The city really has only one major freeway, which is I10. The only other freeway (I19) is more of a direct route to Nogales and Mexico, and doesn't really serve Tucson itself. The 210 doesn't even count as a freeway in my opinion.

As far as affordability, Tucson may not be cheap, but it's still much more affordable than most of CA. Politics isn't really an issue here. It's more of a NIMBY/anti growth mentality, which I have found exists among both liberals & conservatives. Tucson seems to be very hesitant about improving the infrastructure, attracting new companies, and job creation beyond the service sector. Last time I was in Tucson, it looked almost the same as when I was first there in the 1970s ... only more run down now.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:04 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Gavin Newson finally signed into law that, all over Califor-Nimby-a, that duplexes will now be allowed anywhere in CA, including the suburbs, to help relieve the housing crisis. That's one great step, which has angered the Nimby's.

Unbelievably, 72% of L.A. county is still zoned for single family homes. But that will change.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:56 AM

37 posts, read 40,469 times
Default Closer downtown or GV trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It's interesting that the most expensive housing seems to be on the north-east side of town, yet that is the farthest to drive to get to activities downtown? Which is quicker, far north-east neighborhoods or GV? Plays into my choices, I like to be able to get to a downtown in a reasonable amount of time.
I'm actually in the process of moving to Tucson from GV. For me personally, Tucson has the better amenities and fits my lifestyle. I did purchase on the East side and know it will take some time, but I'm fine with that. Before I move to GV I've always lived in a large city so it works fine for me. Good luck on your decision.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:06 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,192,278 times
My experience in Tucson was being stationed at DM in 1978-1980. I quite liked the city back then. Of course, 40+ years later I imagine it's a night-and-day difference.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:26 AM

100 posts, read 174,703 times
Slater, I think it has the same vibe as forty years ago in most of the city. It's quiet and full of respectful people who treat others decently. I lived here 1957-1979 and 1994-until now. Same great hiking, gorgeous mountains, lots of music, theater, symphonies, and restaurants.

Old 04-30-2022, 10:45 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,137,561 times
Just curious as an outsider considering moving to Tucson why a city with potentially crippling future water supply issues would want unrestrained growth.

Old 04-30-2022, 01:22 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Unrestrained growth? You're looking at Phoenix and Las Vegas, not Tucson.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,137,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Unrestrained growth? You're looking at Phoenix and Las Vegas, not Tucson.
Right, my comment was directed at those who were complaining that there wasn't ENOUGH growth in Tucson.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:15 PM

10,818 posts, read 7,191,344 times
Tucson says they have enough water for 200 years.

And residential areas use less water than farming, so building a subdivision on farm land would actually save water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson