Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:10 AM

19 posts, read 214,837 times

Advertisements

We have our house in Ohio for sale and have picked out several houses in Tucson. Just waiting for the go. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about shopping in the Northwest area. Are there alot of different grocery stores and do they have really fresh produce and meat. Are they scattered around the area or all in one place.

Are there any water restrictions ?

What kind of bugs or critters can I expect? Does exterminating do any good ? I am in a wheelchair and can't stand critters......

What is the EMERGENCY and Medical service like ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 12:53 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,018,889 times
I read a "critter" thread before and it sounds like they're there, but not too common. I'm thinking it's more likely in older houses.

I've had first hand experience in the University Medical Center ER - I tore my ACL hiking in the mountains there last spring. They were pretty quick. I think I had an intern first (she seemed pretty unsure of herself), then had a better exam with another doctor. The one annoying thing about that experience was that they would not give me crutches even though I couldn't bear weight on my leg at all. The nurse said she could give me directions to a thrift shop where I could buy them used (ewwww!!) or we could go to Walgreens. So I hopped (literally) into Walgreens to buy them there.

Don't know that I'm too helpful, but I did notice that there are several hospitals in the area. I'm not sure which is the best, though. You might be able to check out AZ's state medical board. There might be info on services available, complaints lodged against the different facilities, etc.

Good luck on the home sale and your move!

Old 01-05-2007, 03:42 PM

95 posts, read 647,036 times
Ohiotim,

I live in NW Tucson and can address some of your questions. For grocery stores we have Safeway, Albertsons, Frys, Bashas, Trader Joes and Wild Oats scattered around the area. For fresh produce and meat your best bets are Trader Joes and Wild Oats.

I'm in an apartment and hardly ever see a bug. I did see a javelina (kind of like a boar) at the bottom of my stairs one morning and saw about 5 coyotes running through a neighbor's yard one day. I have yet to see a scorpion but know people who've been stung.

I haven't heard any complaints about critters from people I know living in houses and don't remember hearing any water restriction announcements on the news in the year and a half I've been here. I do keep seeing a TV add for a termite extermination company that states termites are a huge problem here, but that's not exactly an objective source.

Northwest Medical Center is pretty convenient for most of the NW area and there's a second branch far NW in Oro Valley.

Good luck and welcome to town!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:45 AM

170 posts, read 476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOTIM View Post
We have our house in Ohio for sale and have picked out several houses in Tucson. Just waiting for the go. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about shopping in the Northwest area. Are there alot of different grocery stores and do they have really fresh produce and meat. Are they scattered around the area or all in one place.

Are there any water restrictions ?

What kind of bugs or critters can I expect? Does exterminating do any good ? I am in a wheelchair and can't stand critters......

What is the EMERGENCY and Medical service like ?
Hi Tim. I'm an Ohio transplant. My family and I have lived in Tucson for 9yrs. I love it here! As far as bugs, I would exterminate. If you live in an apartment they do the exterminating. We had a house built and the first time I saw a scorpian in my bathroom that was it! I called the exterminator. You can have it done every month if you want. I did that at first. Now I do it every other month. It seems to work fine that way.

As far as Emergency and Medical goes, any ER you will have a wait. (Depending of course on the severity of your needs.) I'm diabetic so I have to be close to hospitals, doctors too. UMC (University Medical Ceter) is where I go. It's been fine. As far as finding a doctor goes it will depend on your insurance.

I wish you well here and hope you like it as much as I do. What part of Ohio are you from (if you don't mind me asking). I'm from Columbus. Oh also you could call the Chamber of Commerce and get a relocation packet for general info about Tucson. Again good luck to you and welcome!!! Chrissy

Old 01-06-2007, 08:58 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
We had a house built and the first time I saw a scorpian in my bathroom that was it! I called the exterminator. You can have it done every month if you want.
Every month? The bill would be scary. I'm not an exterminator expert, but don't you need to relocate every time they spray your home. How much is an extermination job?

Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
You will enjoy Arizona, but it ain't nothin' like the Midwest.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:11 AM

163 posts, read 824,368 times
Smile Hi.

We get our house sprayed every month, its about $25 a month, that would include the inside of the house, but we only do the outside and the entrances, and the garage, it helps a lot, we also have the guy put down some type of sticky traps, and every month there are bugs a scorpions on the trap.
Just an fyi, if you need medical care, but can't wait for a dr's appt or its not a true emergency, we have places here called "urgent care"

Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 AM

163 posts, read 824,368 times
Would also suggest that on your next visit, you spend a day or some time, checking out the stores, business, etc.
Or if working with a realtor, ask their advice or opinion.
Also on Oracle rd there is a new grocery store, sprouts.
In my opinion, we have more grocery store selections then most places.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 214,837 times
Everyone Is Being Very Helpfull
I Live In Canton, Ohio ( Football Hall Of Fame)
Keep The Input Coming

Old 01-07-2007, 12:04 AM

170 posts, read 476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Every month? The bill would be scary. I'm not an exterminator expert, but don't you need to relocate every time they spray your home. How much is an extermination job?
It's not that bad cost wise. Also you don't need to relocate everytime they spray. I have both the outside and inside sprayed. It isn't a strong smell at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson