Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 07:44 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,858,411 times

Advertisements

Just before 5pm 7/16/2022, we saw a huge rain curtain across the Santa Cruz valley in the Santa Rita Mountains. We see this frequently, and many times the action stays there and slides to the northeast, and my location about 10 miles to the west gets nothing! Well, today was a little bit different, and we got more than we bargained for! I am guessing close to an inch of rain and at 5:18, 5.5 straight minutes of 1/4" to 1/2" hail plus very gusty winds with peak gusts I am guessing between 40 to 60 mph! It was a wild ride for sure!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGWAl4pwkGk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 11:58 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
That was a bad storm.

My wife house sits for 22 residences in Green Valley and 18 have sustained at least minor damages including broken skylights, broken windows and downed trees. She has been on the phone for 12 hours calling homeowners and for arranging contractors to repair the damages.

My 28 ft agave is down as it my neighbor's palo verde tree. We watched the agave sink gradually from a 10 degree tilt until it hit the ground. Fortunately, we were able to pull it off of the road until we can have someone cut it up and carry it off. I told my DW that after it started blooming (the end of its life cycle) that we should remove it before it falls. However ...

Old 07-17-2022, 03:10 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,858,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
That was a bad storm.

My wife house sits for 22 residences in Green Valley and 18 have sustained at least minor damages including broken skylights, broken windows and downed trees. She has been on the phone for 12 hours calling homeowners and for arranging contractors to repair the damages.

My 28 ft agave is down as it my neighbor's palo verde tree. We watched the agave sink gradually from a 10 degree tilt until it hit the ground. Fortunately, we were able to pull it off of the road until we can have someone cut it up and carry it off. I told my DW that after it started blooming (the end of its life cycle) that we should remove it before it falls. However ...
Sorry to hear about your damages as well as those of your wife's clients. Her life sounds like a nightmare right now! My sister just bought a house down here in Desert Hills last II last year in preparation for retirement for her and her husband, so I keep an eye on it for them until they can be here full time. They have 3 skylights and I went to check on the place this morning, and thankfully, no damage! We also have snowbird friends a block away and we also keep an eye on their place. I went by and checked on it, and the outside looked fine. Once I got inside, their one and only skylight had 6 holes in it, so I called them and let them know. I saw that he had a ladder in the garage, and he told me on the phone where to find duct tape, so I went on his roof and patched all the holes with the tape and he will follow up with arranging a replacement.

You are correct. That storm was no joke. I wanted rain very badly as we really need it and for the past few weeks it has been raining all around us, but not on us. I sure did not want the hail. So many people have suffered damage to their homes and people are telling me, not that their cars have been damaged, but they are saying "destroyed"! I was really worried that I was going to lose windows as I was taking that video. I only saw up to maybe 3/4" hail, mostly 1/2", but some people reported to me 1.5" to 2" which would have certainly taken out my windows had that size hail fallen at my location!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson