Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:10 PM

8 posts, read 36,702 times

Advertisements

Hi I am purchasing a KB Home in Santa Rita Ranch II in Tucson AZ. The construction of the house is about to begin. I have a nice lot that backs up to the mountan reserve. Great view from my deck and back yard. However, I am a little worried about KB's reputation and the future value of the home. I am planning to pay 349,000 for a 2901 sq ft two story home. This house is decked out with options and is completely lanscaped front and back. AM I GETTING RIPPED OFF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 PM

61 posts, read 233,445 times
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KB is notorious for poor build quality all over the USA. When I was in Tucson for 6 mos. (temp, not planning to stay) I heard over and over how bad KB was. They said KB=Kardboard. A good friend's husband is a licensed builder and gave me this impression. In some communities in Tucson, the build quality is sooooo bad that you can't get a 30 year loan, because they need MAJOR repairs (like $100k+) before the 30 yrs. is up.

PLEASE.....Look elsewhere if it's not too late!

P.S. We now live in Denver and the first thing our agent said when we met her was, "stay away from KB homes, they're crap."

Old 12-06-2007, 08:55 PM

139 posts, read 528,041 times
Homebuilders are constructing houses to last about 25 years. That makes a house at this price kind of expensive. Also, I personally believe now is a terrible time to buy a house, especially a new one. People who really study the housing market tend to believe houses will end up as much as 80% lower, though it may take awhile. Don't believe the hype.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,965 times
so weird I have never really heard anything bad about kb homes until recently. I actually bought a kb home and backed out but our problem wasn't with them but with countrywide. They gave us our deposit back even after the house was almost done. What everyone should know about new homes are that the price is never ever set in stone. You can negotiate the price just like you can when you purchase a older home. I am from California and the kb homes are cheap over here right now they even had an incentive that if you purchase a home you get 50 percent off of all upgrades. I'm not too sure what homes go for in your area.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Homebuilders are constructing houses to last about 25 years. That makes a house at this price kind of expensive. Also, I personally believe now is a terrible time to buy a house, especially a new one. People who really study the housing market tend to believe houses will end up as much as 80% lower, though it may take awhile. Don't believe the hype.
Wow, talk about planned obsolescence. That's worse than the car industry!!

Old 01-23-2008, 02:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
People who really study the housing market tend to believe houses will end up as much as 80% lower, though it may take awhile.
Any reference to those "people"...?!

So, in your opinion, a 200K house will sell for 40K? In other words, you're suggesting the prices in AZ will roll back to the mid 1950s!

Historical Census of Housing Tables - Home Values

Good luck with that!

Old 01-26-2008, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,905 times
I own the exact home you descibed in Santa Rita Ranch II.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 AM

986 posts, read 2,801,031 times
This may be a dumb question but what is the full word for "KB"?? We are moving to Tucson as soon as our house sells here in NJ. I want to make sure we stay away from that home builder. Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 05:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,908,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
This may be a dumb question but what is the full word for "KB"?? We are moving to Tucson as soon as our house sells here in NJ. I want to make sure we stay away from that home builder. Thanks
KB is just KB Home - KB homes by KB Home - New Home Builders - (www.kbhomes.com) - California, Texas, Florida and More

Perhaps they don't build where you currently live, which is a good thing.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM

14 posts, read 62,408 times
Quote:
I believe the "KB" is an abreviation for "Kaufman and Broad". I think that was the two parties that started the company in the beginning. The company is now known by KB Homes for short.

In a response to everyones comments, I have sold a few KB homes in the Tucson area, and the quality unfortunatley varies. In Tucson, you get what you pay for. There are some great up and coming areas that the developers pick specific builders to keep the quality higher, and values strong. In other areas here, the builders subcontract most of the construction to the company that is willing to do the most work for the cheapest price. Again, A LOT of the large corporation builders ACROSS THE NATION do the same thing.

One of the things that you can do is steer twards a builder like AF Sterling in the middle dollar range, or for a REALLY GREAT BUILD, Toll Brothers and CNC Construction are the best in town (without going into the 800K and up in price).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: