Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2022, 04:08 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,855,206 times

Advertisements

The Roadrunner is a famous and extremely interesting bird. They can run about 15 miles per hour, and although they do not fly alot, they can fly when it suits them. Did you know that the skin of the Roadrunner is black? On cool desert mornings, the Roadrunner spreads it's wings apart with it's back to the sun allowing the sun to reach that black skin on it's back and absorbs heat energy!

Next we have a Mule Deer Doe and her fawn transiting my neighbor Heinz' property. The doe is beautiful, although I wonder how she got that long scar, and the fawn is beyond cute!

Then we have a Javelina that appeared to be sizing up a barrel cactus that had fallen over at my neighbor's house. This is the lady I take up the paper and mail for. Before I saw this Javelina, I had seen one cross the driveway a ways in front of me a few seconds earlier. It happened too fast to get video. However, the one I did get video of, I nearly walked in to. I was only a couple of steps away when I realized that it was there! Thankfully, it did not want any conflict. You can see that it was injured, and it just wanted to exit the situation, so it crossed the driveway and made it's way down in to the wash.

The next segment of video is of Coyote yipping and howling. On these cool mornings, I like to open the inner doors to let that air in. Upon opening the door, this is what I heard, so I captured a few seconds of it. I think these are the sounds they make when they make a kill. You can hear my neighbor's (Keith and Petra) dog (Chance) barking at the Coyotes.

Less than 2 weeks later, I was outside early showing my landscape guy what I would like done when I spotted a Coyote in virtually the same place I heard the yipping previously. It looked like they were coming south, so I got my camera out of my pocket and pointed it down my driveway. I caught what looks like the male first, then his mate, and they look really healthy and quite beautiful! I turned off the camera and put it back in my pocket, and just a few seconds later two more Coyote cross the driveway in about the same place. I believe these were the young of the earlier mating pair. Did you know that Coyote mate for life???

Lastly, on one of my morning walks, I spotted a Javelina coming off a hill to my left, and this one was pretty big! He crossed without incident until he got to the other side, then he stopped, checked me out and took a few steps toward me. About that time, the second big Javelina started crossing, so I focused on it, but noticed the first one advancing toward me, so I backed up a few steps facing the Javelina, then he turned and went on his way. The second Javelina took a couple of steps toward me to sniff something in the road, the it took off. Did you see how fast it ran? No person I know could run that fast! These two Javelina are what I call "no neck monsters". They were certainly impressive in size!!!

I hope you enjoy the video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiG25x5uRE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: