Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2022, 07:25 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,859,071 times

Advertisements

I do not like winter. Just this morning (12/14/2022) is was 25 degrees at 6am!!! Yesterday, we had a dusting of snow in the Santa Rita mountains. This does not make me happy. I know that winters elsewhere are far worse than they are here in southeastern Arizona, but I still do not like it this cold! Thankfully, most of the time we have sunshine which makes the cold a bit more bearable than the same temperatures with moist air and cloud cover. Anyway, when it gets like this, I like to remember last spring, and look forward to this coming spring when it will warm up and there will be new plant and animal life.

Another thing I look forward to is when the Palo Verde trees bloom in late April and early May. This event only lasts about 4 weeks, but in those 4 weeks, we are treated to a dazzling show of color! I hope you enjoy the video, and I hope this will help you endure the cold days of our southeastern Arizona winter!!!

FYI, Palo Verde is Spanish for "green stick". This video will show you why these trees got that name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2DWnjKAoA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 07:49 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,774,310 times
People here in the Sacramento Valley where I am grow Palo Verde trees. I always love to see them and they love our hot summers. It surprised me that they grow here - never thought they'd tolerate Northern California. The problem is when we get blasted with a lot of rain (which we need, I know) and wind. After last weekend's storm I saw two Palo Verdes which had been uprooted. So sad . . . I look forward to their blooming season. I did see another one which had been cabled and it did fine. Guess that's the trick.

Thanks for the video!

Old 12-15-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
People here in the Sacramento Valley where I am grow Palo Verde trees. I always love to see them and they love our hot summers. It surprised me that they grow here - never thought they'd tolerate Northern California. The problem is when we get blasted with a lot of rain (which we need, I know) and wind. After last weekend's storm I saw two Palo Verdes which had been uprooted. So sad . . . I look forward to their blooming season. I did see another one which had been cabled and it did fine. Guess that's the trick.

Thanks for the video!
Thanks for watching and your comment! I guess here in southeastern AZ, the roots go deep as I have never seen an uprooted Palo Verde in the area where I live. They are beautiful trees, especially in their blooming season!!!

Old 12-15-2022, 10:58 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Where we live the elevation is around 5,500 ft. and we too got some snow. We'll get more than you during the winter that's for sure. We've lived in the northeast for most of our lives, winters out there are absolutely brutal. From the end of October when all the leaves are down to the end of March the whole place is dismal, dank and dreary. Unlike Arizona, where we are when the snow comes in it's usually in and out of here in a day. Unlike New York the roads are clean after they've been plowed instead remaining filthy for weeks on end from the salt/sand mixture that they throw down. If you don't keep on top of it your vehicle will rust away within a few years. Not only from all the salt water getting into every nook and cranny but from being sandblasted by rock salt and sand from the other vehicles that surround you. You don't want to get behind a plow truck that's for sure. But sometimes you have no choice. Passing one is even worse but then again sometimes you have no choice.

When you take your vehicle to a car wash that's where the damage shows up. There's all of these little chips that show up all over. If not taken care of that's where the rust begins. Bare metal and salt water are not a good combination. Of course it's damn near impossible to keep touching up all of chips if you're using your vehicle on a regular basis such as commuting as most people do. A lot of people get a new car after 5 years. Just when the old one is paid off, it's time for a new loan. For us it was 10 years. However after coming home from work I'd park my truck in the driveway and hook a garden hose up to the hot water heater and get under it on a crawler. Cleaning the entire undercarriage form all that salt and sand only to have to do it the next day and throughout the week. Freezing my *** off in the process.

Sure we too do not like winter or the cold. In fact we hate it but the trade off is living in the relentless summer heat. Where we are it's the best of both world's. We have relatively short mild winters and summers. With Spring and Fall being the best time of the year. The Sonoran Desert is our favorite place in Arizona and is only an hours drive from us. So we get to enjoy the best of both worlds. After living here for over 12 years there's no where else where we'd rather live.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-15-2022 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-15-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Where we live the elevation is around 5,500 ft. and we too got some snow. We'll get more than you during the winter that's for sure. We've lived in the northeast for most of our lives, winters out there are absolutely brutal. From the end of October when all the leaves are down to the end of March the whole place is dismal, dank and dreary. Unlike Arizona, where we are when the snow comes in it's usually in and out of here in a day. Unlike New York the roads are clean after they've been plowed instead remaining filthy for weeks on end from the salt/sand mixture that they throw down. If you don't keep on top of it your vehicle will rust away within a few years. Not only from all the salt water getting into every nook and cranny but from being sandblasted by rock salt and sand from the other vehicles that surround you. You don't want to get behind a plow truck that's for sure. But sometimes you have no choice. Passing one is even worse but then again sometimes you have no choice.

When you take your vehicle to a car wash that's where the damage shows up. There's all of these little chips that show up all over. If not taken care of that's where the rust begins. Bare metal and salt water are not a good combination. Of course it's damn near impossible to keep touching up all of chips if you're using your vehicle on a regular basis such as commuting as most people do. A lot of people get a new car after 5 years. Just when the old one is paid off, it's time for a new loan. For us it was 10 years. However after coming home from work I'd park my truck in the driveway and hook a garden hose up to the hot water heater and get under it on a crawler. Cleaning the entire undercarriage form all that salt and sand only to have to do it the next day and throughout the week. Freezing my *** off in the process.

Sure we too do not like winter or the cold. In fact we hate it but the trade off is living in the relentless summer heat. Where we are it's the best of both world's. We have relatively short mild winters and summers. With Spring and Fall being the best time of the year. The Sonoran Desert is our favorite place in Arizona and is only an hours drive from us. So we get to enjoy the best of both worlds. After living here for over 12 years there's no where else where we'd rather live.
Extremely well said Ex New Yorker! I am with you 100% on there being nowhere else I would rather live! I have been here 8.5 years, and I wish I had found this place 20 years earlier!!!

Old 12-15-2022, 03:10 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Extremely well said Ex New Yorker! I am with you 100% on there being nowhere else I would rather live! I have been here 8.5 years, and I wish I had found this place 20 years earlier!!!
Thank You!!

To add insult to injury after we got home from work we then had the task of shoveling all that snow either that or get fined for not clearing the sidewalk. Of course the driveway didn't have to be cleared but when it snowed for days on end it was only going to get deeper. For obvious reasons leaving the vehicle out on the street was never an option even though it was legal as some homes had no driveways.

Regardless I've always wanted to live in Arizona, even as a kid. When we became self employed working from home that became possible. I would have moved out here a lot earlier. But I had to convince my wife that it would be the right move. Indeed it was and I too regret not moving out here much sooner.

Old 12-15-2022, 10:35 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Thanks for watching and your comment! I guess here in southeastern AZ, the roots go deep as I have never seen an uprooted Palo Verde in the area where I live. They are beautiful trees, especially in their blooming season!!!
I think part of the problem here may be that we have heavy clay soil which can capture too much moisture and makes it tough for the trees to stay upright. They might be waterlogged, too. And then in the summer it's like concrete so it's tough for them to root deeply enough in the first place. Your sandy soil is probably their preference.

Keep your videos coming . . . I always enjoy them!

Old 11-30-2023, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,188 times
I am planting two palo verde trees in our neighborhood landscape. We are not in the desert but they are native to parts of the Texas Hill Country and its clay/limestone soil. My research indicates that they should be watered deeply but infrequently until established. I can control our drip irrigation but need to know gallons and timing. I thought about using 1" per month equivalent (per Phoenix data) but now that seems inadequate. Any suggestions?

Old 11-30-2023, 05:59 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
We have Palo Varde in our condo association. They do tend to fall over. Sometimes the inside of the trunk is hollowed out. They also tend to split down the middle. They grow fast and need trimmed every year. We replace them with other types of trees. The people that had them planted are no longer here. No more Palo Verde for us.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
We have Palo Varde in our condo association. They do tend to fall over. Sometimes the inside of the trunk is hollowed out. They also tend to split down the middle. They grow fast and need trimmed every year. We replace them with other types of trees. The people that had them planted are no longer here. No more Palo Verde for us.
Too bad these trees do not work for you. Where I live, they just grow wild, and most if not all trees in my street are all still here from when I moved here 10 years ago. They really are gorgeous for about 6 weeks in the Spring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: