Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2023, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 11,969 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

I currently live in a very cold/snowy climate. And like so many others, have been checking into Arizona. For a few reasons, we've sort of pinpointed Oro Valley. I just have a few questions for people who either live there, or are familiar with the area

First - Tell me about crime. I've noticed statistics online talk about Tucson having a crime problem. Does this overflow into Oro Valley, and are there any gangs in OV??

Second - I'd like to know about the drivers. Are the drivers there safe and courteous, or are there a lot of red light runners, wrong way drivers, speeders, etc?? I've heard Arizona/Tucson get kind of a bad rap as far as drivers go. Does this apply to Oro Valley as well?

Third - Is this a good area to raise kids? We have a newborn, and this is definitely something that's important to us as our kids start to get a little older

Lastly, can you just tell me anything you can about OV? I work from home, so jobs are not a factor. Just any information you could provide would be wonderful!

Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 02:37 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
I live in Oro Valley, statistically it is tied with Paradise Valley for being the safest city in Arizona.

It's nothing at all like the city of Tucson, pretty much the polar opposite as far as income, education and in any other measurement you have.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,969 times
Are there any areas of OV to avoid? Any sketchy parts?
Is there a "newer" side of town?

Old 01-04-2023, 11:55 PM

92 posts, read 112,667 times
As for the three questions in your last post: No. No. And no.

Most of the crime in in the Tucson area is in the southern portion. I do not feel that OV and the rest of the northern portion of Tucson is unsafe at all.

Drivers are average, or nothing out of the ordinary. You are always going to see bad drivers if you are in a place with more than a few dozen drivers, especially at work traffic times. But it's not any worse than any other medium-sized city in the southern tier of states. It is the people who walk across major busy streets without using a crosswalk that you have to look out for. Not nearly as much of an issue in OV though.

We don't have kids, so didn't look at it from that perspective. However, there does seem to be very good schools in that area.

OV, Catalina Foothills have some extremely nice areas, as does the outer eastern areas. Tucson itself is easy to get around*, and even during work traffic times it's not that bad with the exception of where downtown streets intersect the interstate. There are lots of opportunities for outdoor recreation in the general area, and since you are on I-10, it is easy to get to other places like Phoenix.

If you do move here, you need to get a family membership to the AZ Sonora Desert Museum. Your kids will love it once they get to the appropriate age. If you aren't familiar, a large portion of the museum is outdoors, so a great place to let the kids expend their energy.

There is a series of videos about Tucson on youtube that you should watch. They are produced by "Welcome to Tucson Arizona".

*unless your perspective comes from living in a very small town......

Old 01-05-2023, 04:31 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,481,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime89 View Post
Are there any areas of OV to avoid? Any sketchy parts?
Is there a "newer" side of town?
OV is an upscale suburb of Tucson, there are no "sketchy" parts. If you had to pin me down on the worst crime, it's probably folks breaking windows and grabbing your Christmas presents from the Target or Walmart parking lot during the holidays. For lack of a better term, we are the Scottsdale of Tucson. Lots of million dollar houses around here along with some high end resorts. We are separated from the city of Tucson by almost a dozen miles.

Most of the houses were built after 1990 and we continue to have new subdivisions being built all of the time. It's the most desirable part of town.

Old 01-13-2023, 10:11 AM

41 posts, read 63,848 times
My wife and I sell luxury real estate in Tucson Metro and focus on Foothills/OV/Dove Mountain areas. These are the best areas of Tucson, for all the comments listed above. Highest sale in Tucson to date, was last year in The Residences at Ritz Carlton, $6.9M. The area from OV west to Dove Mountain will be (already happening) our Scottsdale/PV of Tucson (as mentioned). Great for families, safe, and great access to I10 to head to Phoenix. Saguaro Ranch, The Gallery, Stone Canyon, Canyon Pass, all are high end communities, which reflect well on the other parts of the area. We are building a home in OV on a parcel of land and love it there. One caveat is, property taxes are the highest in the state, which doesn't makes sense when you have $15-25M homes in PV/Scottsdale. But, it's an unfortunate truth.

Amenities are sparse, unfortunately, but there is hope for some growth in that area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson