Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 08:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,841,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumster View Post
We (wife and I), too, are looking to escape Portland and are beginning to explore the idea of escaping to Tucson. I'm tired of grey skies, cold and wet winters, broken sidewalks, increasing petty crime, homeless tents blocking sidewalks. I'm just beginning the process of exploring areas around Tucson and, so, join you in seeking suggestions...
South/Central AZ is gorgeous, come to Tucson, look around. When you ready for a road trip head south 19 and visit Tubac, Nogales (downtown border area) it's a small/scrappy, safe and bustling town. Next go 82 East and hit Patagonia. Artsy and historical stuff to look at, a very small/quaint town. Hit Sonoita, apparently that's our "wine country" and go 83 North to Vail, then 10 back to Tucson. It's a scenic day loop that'll give perspective of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 02:52 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumster View Post
, broken sidewalks, increasing petty crime, homeless tents blocking sidewalks. I'm just beginning the process of exploring areas around Tucson and, so, join you in seeking suggestions...
Sounds like Tucson to me ...

Old 04-14-2023, 06:34 AM

5,643 posts, read 11,198,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sounds like Tucson to me ...
Perhaps parts of central or south Tucson, but I lived on the east side (east of Kolb) between Broadway & 22nd. The further east from the main grid of Tucson you go, the problems cited diminish rapidly. Most homeless don't want to go east beyond Wilmot because they generally don't have a vehicle and the distance from most of their hangouts (parks, dispensaries, soup kitchens, public assistance places) is too far.

Some of the most beautiful residential areas in Tucson are in the Tanque Verde valley (La Cebadilla, Forty Niners, Palo Verde and Bel Air Ranch Estates) and also heading east on Old Spanish Trail just before Saguaro Park east. Sure, many of the secondary street surfaces are in lousy shape but most of the main streets are pretty decent.

Old 04-14-2023, 01:57 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Perhaps parts of central or south Tucson, but I lived on the east side (east of Kolb) between Broadway & 22nd. The further east from the main grid of Tucson you go, the problems cited diminish rapidly. Most homeless don't want to go east beyond Wilmot because they generally don't have a vehicle and the distance from most of their hangouts (parks, dispensaries, soup kitchens, public assistance places) is too far.

I do not know if I agree. I will say that there are a lot of areas that I would head to by bus in 2015 that I will not go via bus.

Personally, I have a lot fewer problems with people down in the southern parts of Tucson around Irvington and Valencia than I do on Broadway and Speedway between downtown and Kolb.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:45 AM

3,815 posts, read 9,397,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

Some of the most beautiful residential areas in Tucson are in the Tanque Verde valley (La Cebadilla, Forty Niners, Palo Verde and Bel Air Ranch Estates) and also heading east on Old Spanish Trail just before Saguaro Park east. Sure, many of the secondary street surfaces are in lousy shape but most of the main streets are pretty decent.
Sort of proving my point, all of these areas are outside of the Tucson city limits. Those areas are nice and probably nice because the City of Tucson hasn't taken over yet.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:02 AM

4,952 posts, read 2,910,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Sort of proving my point, all of these areas are outside of the Tucson city limits. Those areas are nice and probably nice because the City of Tucson hasn't taken over yet.
Not to worry, down here in the unincorporated SE area of Tucson, Pima County is working hard to emulate the city’s unmatched record of poor road maintenance and wasteful spending. Nowhere else can you find roads that go from newly paved to cratered rubble in 2-3 years. Yet the county keeps giving road work to the same contractors that built the crappy roads. A thinking person might conclude that something else in going on…

Old 04-15-2023, 09:09 AM

1,906 posts, read 792,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
You need to think of Tucson as almost two different areas. The city of Tucson itself where you will find potholed streets that remind you of driving in Mexico, lots of petty crime, increasing homeless problems and a number of increasing tent cities. But once you get outside of the Tucson city limits where it is either the unincorporated county or places like Oro Valley, Marana, etc it is almost a night/day difference.

Personally I live in Oro Valley and go to Tucson to work and on the weekends to find places to eat and shop at antique stores.
Tucson like any city in the US has problems. I would live a minimum of 30 minutes from Tucson. But, that's me.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Not to worry, down here in the unincorporated SE area of Tucson, Pima County is working hard to emulate the city’s unmatched record of poor road maintenance and wasteful spending. Nowhere else can you find roads that go from newly paved to cratered rubble in 2-3 years. Yet the county keeps giving road work to the same contractors that built the crappy roads. A thinking person might conclude that something else in going on…
I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories, but our road work has me thinking them. We live in NW Tucson and our roads up here were not much better. Then within a few weeks of our County Supervisor being replaced by someone in a different party and miraculously a road that we had been bugging the county for fixing was being worked on. All over NW Tucson, road crews came out of nowhere to begin fixing the worst roads.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:29 AM

957 posts, read 505,905 times
I agree with other posters. North Tucson up against the mountains. Some areas of Tucson are run down looking but in general it's nice, is somewhat affordable (or at least it used to be before all this housing market craziness) and has a true southwest feel to it, unlike Phoenix. I think you'll enjoy it. Their mountains are far bigger then the ones in Phoenix and it's a few degrees cooler. Lots of hikers, mountain bikers, rock climbers in the area and outdoor adventure sports retailers.

Old 04-16-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
I agree with other posters. North Tucson up against the mountains. Some areas of Tucson are run down looking but in general it's nice, is somewhat affordable (or at least it used to be before all this housing market craziness) and has a true southwest feel to it, unlike Phoenix. I think you'll enjoy it. Their mountains are far bigger then the ones in Phoenix and it's a few degrees cooler. Lots of hikers, mountain bikers, rock climbers in the area and outdoor adventure sports retailers.
I joke that if you want to retire to play golf, move to Phoenix. But if retirement means cycling, running, hiking or climbing then move to NW Tucson. On occasion I bump into a group of guys in their mid to late 70's with loaded packs full of climbing gear to hit some of the walls around Pusch Peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson