Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2023, 03:51 PM
 
16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Reputation: 25501

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Whatever is in the drugs that the homeless are using are turning them into zombies. It's quite sad to see the condition of your fellow man.
Last week was the worse. I am driving up I-19 north of Irvington Rd. and one of the zombies was staggering between the pullover lane and the right land ON FOOT. What a shame what happened to people when they are drugged out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2023, 06:07 PM
 
680 posts, read 716,810 times
Reputation: 2143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, so, so easy to generalize. I think you meant to say, small parts of Tucson may be a dump.

My cousin lives in Green Valley, in one of those "Communist" communities where all the houses look alike and you have only 4 choices of paint for you house. Even if you gave me a $500k house for free out there, I'd hand it over to the homeless, and I'd still stay in my beloved Midtown with solid brick homes everywhere.

Green Valley has Canoa Ranch and Quail Creek. Both are what you described, but there are quite a few brick homes in the actual town.

Large amounts of Tucson are dumps. Smelling fires built from homeless living in a wash is a prime example.
I doubt anyone would turn down $500k homes. Especially people who live in mobile home communities and want to pretend they live in solid brick houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2023, 05:00 AM
 
3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Reputation: 5160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
This thread is very interesting to me. My wife and I now live in St. Pete, Florida and were thinking of relocating to Tucson (we are retired). I am not feeling the love.
Tucson is like any metropolitan area. Within the actual city limits governed by the city of Tucson I'd be hesitant to purchase. But go anywhere else in the large area not governed by the city of Tucson and you can't beat the place. We live 10 miles north of the city limit sign and according to numerous studies my zip code is either the first or second safest in the entire state along with views of the mountains unmatched almost anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2023, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Reputation: 32595
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
Green Valley has Canoa Ranch and Quail Creek. Both are what you described, but there are quite a few brick homes in the actual town.

Large amounts of Tucson are dumps. Smelling fires built from homeless living in a wash is a prime example.
I doubt anyone would turn down $500k homes. Especially people who live in mobile home communities and want to pretend they live in solid brick houses.
And there are those of us, seniors, who will do anything to avoid putting their hands on a steering wheel. Green Valley is car-centric. I can walk to Fry's, Trader Joe's and 12 different restaurants and even walk to TMC and a mailbox in front of my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2023, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Reputation: 4188
The phrase I use to describe Tucson is "Sporadically Ghetto"

Most cities you can say: "Stay away from X neighborhoods and you'll be fine."

But Tucson is a special place where there are rough patches and crime in every part of the city even the nice ones. It's even block to block and street to street.

I have friends who live near 1st and River. Those are 700k-2m homes. just a a few blocks down are low rent trailer parks ,old cheaper homes and then you transition into a terrible area near Tucson Mall, with tons of crime and homelessness.

I also have friends who live at Wrightstown and Camino Seco, It's a nice area but on the corner of Pantano and Speedway is a bunch of low rent apartments where there is a staggering amount of crime.

I live in Vail so I don't technically live in Tucson. However, Tucson is adjacent at Rita Ranch. For years residents did everything they could to block multi-family or condos of any kind. But now they are starting to build luxury apartments in those zip codes.

Sam Hughes is the most overrated neighborhood in the city. Tons of traffic, people parking on U of A event days even though there are signs everywhere telling them not to. Weird people sifting through trash or trying to camp in the alleyways. El Encanto and Colonia Solana are great neighborhoods but suffer car break-ins trespassing from all the transients going between the parks and the main street areas where they buy stuff near El Con Mall. I have had some uncomfortable moments in Reid Park and Randolph Park with homeless.

Heck, Even in my far flung suburbia golf community an Air Force Sgt murdered his step-daughter and dumped her in the desert then a a year later the swat and FBI came in and raided a drug house in Rancho Del Lago. We have constant notifications of domestic disputes and police on scene or barricade situations on Citizen. I get constant notifications from the ring app about someone having the cats stolen off their truck, or wheels stolen off their cars or tools being stolen from garages. We had a string of teens or 20 somethings walking around just trying out car doors and when one would open they would take any valuables or damage the car. We have the ghetto bird circling over areas of Vail more times than I'd like to admit to anyone. I've had to turn off community notifications on ring, because it's very disheartening.

Tucson and Albuquerque are pretty similar and that is not a good thing.

But honestly Phoenix is the same way. In the years after the "Great Recession" houses all over Arizona were picked up by investors and rented out to less than upstanding citizens for dirt cheap and a lot of these companies like Invitation accepted housing vouchers and the are grandfathered into cheap rent. Some bought cheap and now Son or Grandson and his punk friends are around all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2023, 06:19 AM
 
3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Reputation: 5160
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Most cities you can say: "Stay away from X neighborhoods and you'll be fine."

But Tucson is a special place where there are rough patches and crime in every part of the city even the nice ones. It's even block to block and street to street.
In many metropolitan areas, especially if you move out here from the Midwest, the general pattern is the worst place in the area is a bull's eye centered around downtown. Then the neighborhoods get progressively better as you drive to the outer edges of the dart board.

Both Tucson and Phoenix have a checkerboard of good then bad then it goes back to a good neighborhood again. But if I had to pick the area that is consistently safe over a wide swath of Pima County it would be the Northwest side of Tucson. I've gone over a ton of crime maps looking at places to live and from what I can see outside of your standard apartment complex related crime and smash and grabs at retail strip malls, my area is very safe.

Have a sibling that is a Pima County Sheriff's Deputy and anecdotally he's told me that the NW side of town is where police families (especially with kids) are all flocking to. It's simply the safest part of town and the police know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2023, 08:05 AM
 
1,470 posts, read 1,414,990 times
Reputation: 1666
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
The phrase I use to describe Tucson is "Sporadically Ghetto"

Most cities you can say: "Stay away from X neighborhoods and you'll be fine."

But Tucson is a special place where there are rough patches and crime in every part of the city even the nice ones. It's even block to block and street to street.

I have friends who live near 1st and River. Those are 700k-2m homes. just a a few blocks down are low rent trailer parks ,old cheaper homes and then you transition into a terrible area near Tucson Mall, with tons of crime and homelessness.

I also have friends who live at Wrightstown and Camino Seco, It's a nice area but on the corner of Pantano and Speedway is a bunch of low rent apartments where there is a staggering amount of crime.

I live in Vail so I don't technically live in Tucson. However, Tucson is adjacent at Rita Ranch. For years residents did everything they could to block multi-family or condos of any kind. But now they are starting to build luxury apartments in those zip codes.

Sam Hughes is the most overrated neighborhood in the city. Tons of traffic, people parking on U of A event days even though there are signs everywhere telling them not to. Weird people sifting through trash or trying to camp in the alleyways. El Encanto and Colonia Solana are great neighborhoods but suffer car break-ins trespassing from all the transients going between the parks and the main street areas where they buy stuff near El Con Mall. I have had some uncomfortable moments in Reid Park and Randolph Park with homeless.

Heck, Even in my far flung suburbia golf community an Air Force Sgt murdered his step-daughter and dumped her in the desert then a a year later the swat and FBI came in and raided a drug house in Rancho Del Lago. We have constant notifications of domestic disputes and police on scene or barricade situations on Citizen. I get constant notifications from the ring app about someone having the cats stolen off their truck, or wheels stolen off their cars or tools being stolen from garages. We had a string of teens or 20 somethings walking around just trying out car doors and when one would open they would take any valuables or damage the car. We have the ghetto bird circling over areas of Vail more times than I'd like to admit to anyone. I've had to turn off community notifications on ring, because it's very disheartening.

Tucson and Albuquerque are pretty similar and that is not a good thing.

But honestly Phoenix is the same way. In the years after the "Great Recession" houses all over Arizona were picked up by investors and rented out to less than upstanding citizens for dirt cheap and a lot of these companies like Invitation accepted housing vouchers and the are grandfathered into cheap rent. Some bought cheap and now Son or Grandson and his punk friends are around all the time.
I suppose the people who got foreclosed were "upstanding citizens."

Most folks can't grasp that UofA sits right in the middle of one of the worst large, school districts in the US. People who never complain about the Phoenix cops will tell you TPD is rotten to the core. When I started looking in Tucson, 25 years ago, Phoenix and Tucson were much closer economically, and there was talk of joining the cities with rail. Tucson is an insult to Central and South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2023, 08:55 AM
Status: "Senior Conspiracy Debunker" (set 20 days ago)
 
1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Reputation: 1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, so, so easy to generalize. I think you meant to say, small parts of Tucson may be a dump.

My cousin lives in Green Valley, in one of those "Communist" communities where all the houses look alike and you have only 4 choices of paint for you house. Even if you gave me a $500k house for free out there, I'd hand it over to the homeless, and I'd still stay in my beloved Midtown with solid brick homes everywhere.
Thank God for choices. I was born and raised in Baltimore. I worked 38yrs in the BCFD. I know dumps when I see one. Tucson is Baltimore light. But, don't get excited or insulted. I hate all cities, and Green Valley 55 and over communities are not for me either. They are nothing more than homes for very, very old snow birds. But, it is clean, safe and the properties are well taken care of.
Tucson is just the opposite. It's dirty, dangerous and in disrepair.

And, I live in the foothills of the Santa Rita mountains where it's wild and open range country, but It has a Green Valley zip code
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2023, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Reputation: 32595
There's "Islands" all over Tucson, and I'm still bumping into them on my walks or drives. Most are Townhouse islands.

Just north, adjacent to Crossroads Festival/Swan & Grant sits a island of modern, well-kept patio/townhouses. Down from Grant on Swan is another townhouse island, modern/well-kept. Just east of Fort Lowell Park is a huge modern, well-kept and patrolled townhouse complex, and across the street is a complex with all new homes. Islands in the Stream. I've run into these islands elsewhere, always a surprise to run across them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2023, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Maryland
6 posts, read 6,456 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
The places you listed are not Tucson. Tucson is Tucson. Marana is Marana. Vail is Vail. Green Valley is Green Valley. Tucson is not unlike any City in America today. They all have problems. Some are worse than others. Tucson is not Baltimore, but It's still a dump.
I recently moved to Tucson from the east coast (and have actually spent a lot of time in Baltimore.) My impression of some parts of Tucson -- Baltimore in the desert. That being said, I agree that on the whole, it is not Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top