Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2023, 08:57 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,862,480 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know this video is a bit long, but it does not seem long when you watch it! First, let me credit my wife Jan for hearing the javelina outside and alerting me, otherwise I would have missed this entire encounter! Today 05/31/2023 around 4 pm we were visited by 8 adult javelina and 4 babies that were only days old. I saw that one still had a remnant of the umbilical cord attached. How fortunate to see one pair of these babies, but how unbelievably fortunate to see two pair! These pairs were probably born within a day or two of each other, and probably not much more than a week or so old. On June 7th, my wife and I will have lived in Green Valley for 9 years. I can remember our first day here like it was yesterday. In my research on javelina, I learned that the average lifespan of a javelina in the wild is about 8 years. This means that most of the javelina we saw when we first moved here are probably gone, but this video reminds us of the circle of life. Javelina in this area do not have a defined mating season, so you can see babies all year round. Sadly, we know that all these babies will not reach adulthood, but it is a real treat to see them while we can. I know that many people do not appreciate the javelina, and I can understand how they may feel that way. But if you think about it, the javelina are probably responsible of "planting" thousands of plants from what they eat over their lifetime to include prickly pear, barrel cactus, Acacia trees, Mesquite trees and many more that I am not thinking of right now. It is almost like this was all designed to work this way! ;-) I hope you enjoy watching this video. I know I enjoyed making it to share with you all!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_O2HiMJ-sk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 11:37 AM

810 posts, read 871,881 times
The cutest!! What a treat to see these tiny babies! Their little round foreheads, and the way they nestle in together against their mother. The parents digging and kicking dirt to make a comfy spot and some of the babies started digging also. Just cute beyond words. Thank you, this definitely fills the cuteness quota! (and hat tip to Blaze meowing in the background).

Old 06-01-2023, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
The cutest!! What a treat to see these tiny babies! Their little round foreheads, and the way they nestle in together against their mother. The parents digging and kicking dirt to make a comfy spot and some of the babies started digging also. Just cute beyond words. Thank you, this definitely fills the cuteness quota! (and hat tip to Blaze meowing in the background).
So glad you liked the video wildflowers27! Yes, these little ones are just days old and they already have the instinct to dig! I noticed it, but did not mention it, but someone as sharp as you picked it up right away. If this does not fill one's cuteness quota, I don't know what would! I am thankful my wife alerted me to the activity. Otherwise, I may have missed it completely. I will pass along your hat tip to Blaze, I know he will appreciate it ;-)

Old 06-02-2023, 05:12 PM

251 posts, read 204,145 times
Great video and amazing how close up you got. I never get tired of watching the javelina. Love the voice cameo by Blaze!

Old 06-02-2023, 05:56 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Thank you for sharing this! The javelina know that your yard is a sanctuary for them. So they feel safe getting comfortable and feeding their babies. The babies, BTW, are so cute

Old 06-02-2023, 06:43 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times
I'm not one who generally goes for 'the cute' stuff. But I have to make exceptions when it comes to animals. Nice video!

Old 06-02-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_MD View Post
Great video and amazing how close up you got. I never get tired of watching the javelina. Love the voice cameo by Blaze!
I was within 2 feet of those babies with just a window between us. They frequently sleep just outside a window just to the right of our front porch as you look at the house. There is a roof overhang that provides share all day until about 5:30/6:00 pm. As for Blaze, he always like to be where the action is, and he LOVES to give his opinion on things!!!

Old 06-02-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you for sharing this! The javelina know that your yard is a sanctuary for them. So they feel safe getting comfortable and feeding their babies. The babies, BTW, are so cute
My home is definitely a destination for javelina and other animals that use the same game trails through the washes. I am very thankful for this because I get tons of animal action without even leaving the house, and even more when I walk the neighborhood!!! Those babies are the cutest!!!

Old 06-02-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I'm not one who generally goes for 'the cute' stuff. But I have to make exceptions when it comes to animals. Nice video!
I too am not a huge "cute" fan, but when you look at those sweet little baby javelina faces, you have to admit that they are just damned cute!!! Glad you enjoyed the video, thanks for watching and the comment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: