Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2024, 03:45 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,891,106 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure, I work part time at Green Valley Decorative Rock (usually Friday's and Saturday's). This is not a commercial for GVDR, this is just the truth of what it took to do this project and where I got the materials.

For those of you who would like details, here they are. I decided to use 3/8 Apache Gold rock from Green Valley Decorative Rock in this garden. 3/8 size gravel covers 180 sq. ft. per ton 1.5" to 2" thick (landscape industry standard). The area I needed to cover was 163 sq. ft., and I only needed to go 1" to 1.5" deep for this particular space. I knew I did not need a ton, and I knew a half ton would not be enough, so I opted for 3/4 of a ton or 1500 lbs. I calculated that this amount would do the job and maybe leave me with a small amount extra, and I would much rather have a little extra than not enough. Heinz was kind enough to use his trailer to pick up the material, and that is what we did. Once back at my house, I shoveled the gravel from the trailer in to a wheelbarrow, wheeled it to the back yard and dumped piles as directed by Heinz (we had already prepared the area). It worked out perfectly! I only had a few shovel-fulls left over which I used somewhere else. The gravel cost about $60.

As for the boulder, I opted for the gorgeous Grand Canyon Onyx boulder. I did not want to go too big and overwhelm the area I was working on, plus the cubic foot sized one I chose was 280 lbs. as it was! One of my co-workers helped my load the boulder in to the back of my trusty 1966 Dodge Pickup. Once I got home, I was able to roll the boulder out of the back of my truck in to a wheel barrow, wheel it to my back yard, and dump it from the wheelbarrow to the area I had planned to place it. It was not easy, but it was definitely doable. You just have to be extra careful when dealing with that kind of weight, it would be easy to get injured if you made a mistake. The boulder cost about $80. The Grand Canyon Onyx boulders are $.30/pound. We have other boulders called Coronado Brown boulders, those are only $.10/pound and they are not necessarily only brown. They can have red, orange, gray and even some yellow in them, and some of the have some sparkle in them as well!

The bottom line is that for less than $150 and a number of hours of sweat and effort, you can make a HUGE change to your yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3anSBdSAtgs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2024, 04:33 PM

811 posts, read 880,270 times
This turned out great! And how wonderful that the lizard has his spot on top of the new boulder. He is quite majestic looking.
Thank you for including the 'specs' on how much gravel and how much the boulder weighs - amazing that you were able to wrangle it into a wheel barrow and get it in place. It really makes that space nice. You and Heinz do beautiful work!

Old 05-26-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowers27 View Post
This turned out great! And how wonderful that the lizard has his spot on top of the new boulder. He is quite majestic looking.
Thank you for including the 'specs' on how much gravel and how much the boulder weighs - amazing that you were able to wrangle it into a wheel barrow and get it in place. It really makes that space nice. You and Heinz do beautiful work!
Thank you for your kind words wildflowers27! I am glad you liked the way it came out. It came out so nice, I just had to share a video of it. As my text area says, for less than $150 and several hours of work, one can make a BIG difference in their yard/patio, etc. In case anyone reads this reply, here are the magic numbers for how much gravel to buy for a project.

A ton of:

1/4 minus or dirt, etc. will cover 200 sq. ft. 1.5" to 2" deep
3/8 gravel will cover 180 sq. ft. 1.5" to 2" deep
1/2 gravel will cover 150 sq. ft. 1.5" to 2" deep
3/4 gravel will cover 120 sq. ft. 1.5" to 2" deep

So, find the square footage you want to cover and divide by one of the numbers above depending on which size of gravel you wish to use, and this will give you the number of tons of product you will need to do the job.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,814,834 times
Oh that rock! Gorgeous! Everything looks fantastic. Thanks so much for the explanation of calculating the gravel. I never knew how that works.

Old 05-28-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Oh that rock! Gorgeous! Everything looks fantastic. Thanks so much for the explanation of calculating the gravel. I never knew how that works.
Glad you like the result! Yes, the calculation is the secret sauce for figuring out what you need, so I thought I would share it with anyone who reads this thread!

Old 05-29-2024, 02:25 AM

1,966 posts, read 882,963 times
That is a peaceful desert, very nice.

Was that lizard a chuckwalla? I grew up in the desert, CA, not AZ, it sure looked like one. I have always been fascinated by desert reptiles.

Old Today, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
That is a peaceful desert, very nice.

Was that lizard a chuckwalla? I grew up in the desert, CA, not AZ, it sure looked like one. I have always been fascinated by desert reptiles.
Thanks for watching and the comment! I am not sure on the lizard, but I think it is a desert spiny lizard. I was hoping someone would tell me what it is!!! Yeah, I am not a huge reptile guy, but I can certainly appreciate their place in nature. I am also really good at leaving them alone to do their thing. I do like to see them, but I have no desire to handle them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: