U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 75,907 times

Advertisements

Are Tucson and Austin similar at all? Both large college towns, very hot in the summer ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,756,076 times
I also responded to another post of yours regarding Phoenix/Vegas, however between Tucson and Austin, GO AUSTIN! I don't know what kind of climate or surroundings you are looking for...but in my honest opinion Austin would rank way over Tucson! Good luck on your search!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,261,733 times
Tuscon is about 10 degrees hotter in the summer than Austin. That's about all I know.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:28 PM

83 posts, read 457,294 times
Default We looked at both.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkzip View Post
Are Tucson and Austin similar at all? Both large college towns, very hot in the summer ...
We looked at both as a place for retirement. Austin did nothing for us. We are moving to Tucson in April.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 PM

85 posts, read 489,229 times
It would probably come down to how you feel about the desert in general. Do you hate humidity, hate rain, and think sticking your head in an oven with 5% humidity feels idea? Do you want to see some mountains nearby and love dry skin? Then move to Tucson.

If none of the above applies, check out Austin. Although personally, I think Austin is a far overrated city.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,041,012 times
punkzip, I responded to your post about this in the Austin forum.

Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 48,370 times
Default asking the same q myself- austin vs. tucson?....

i live in central az., and want to get back to a more happening culture....i am 100% texan, grew up in houston, and love austin....but for my business it is easier to stay in az.....they are both fun cities, especially if you are less of a "mainstream" person....the treasures of tucson are a bit harder to find...but that makes it cool....i go down a lot and frequent markets, restaurants, etc, that my friends that have lived there for years know nothing about...
i think austin has more going on...but my sister and bro-in-law, and many others that have lived there for a while all are getting out....i don't really understand this, but it is the case...i think they are both kinda "slacker" towns, but they both have opportunity for creative individuals...
as far as climate- i cannot imagine any climate worse than south texas...houston is worse than austin, but not much...sure it is hot in the summer in tucson, but 105 w/ 15% humidity feels far better than 95 with 95% humidity.....
the other main reason i am choosing tucson is the proximity to real wilderness....the white mtns., chiricahuas, the sea of cortez,the sonoran desert, all these far far outrank any place in central texas for solitude and beauty...i love the hill country of tx, but the parks are very small...almost all the land in texas is private...and glorious big bend is closer to tucson than austin....

Old 01-13-2007, 11:21 PM

218 posts, read 1,448,702 times
Horacewayne said it all . . . except I enjoy the lack of mosquito torture every evening in Tucson . . . Lived 16 years in TX and those TX 'skeeters' just about killed me! I had to keep ice packs on the bites to get the swelling down - which for me was from elbow to wrist when they got me on the forearm.

The hill country of Texas is lovely, but I really missed the BLM access to the public that other western states have so much of - like Arizona. That's one big reason I stay.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 PM

14 posts, read 55,794 times
My choice is Tucson! It is beautiful. Very hot, but no where near as hot as Phoenix!! I grew up in Tucson, and than moved to Phoenix - lived there 16 years. Phoenix is dirty and hotter than the blazes (11 months of the year). Tucson is nice, and it feels more family oriented. Hope that helps!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:50 AM

10 posts, read 37,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmom05 View Post
My choice is Tucson! It is beautiful. Very hot, but no where near as hot as Phoenix!! I grew up in Tucson, and than moved to Phoenix - lived there 16 years. Phoenix is dirty and hotter than the blazes (11 months of the year). Tucson is nice, and it feels more family oriented. Hope that helps!
What areas of Tucson would you avoid living in? Reason I ask is that we might be moving there for retirement and will have maybe only around $200K or less to spend on housing. Are there any decent remanufactured housing areas like there are in Henderson or Boulder City, NV in the Tucson area? Or, how about those areas to the south of Tucson like Green Valley or Rio Rico?
Thanks for any feedback,
Best regards,
Tom
Tulsa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson