Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,896 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone, just moved to Tucson & I am finding it hard to find a job here. Was wondering if anyone could offer some advice and/or tips to aid in my job search. I know that the job market sucks right now & Tucson isn’t exactly a ‘big’ city but I’ve applied to almost two dozen places with no response. I’m starting to feel like I may be doing something wrong.

I have my resume posted on all the major sites—Monster, Career Builder, Hot Jobs, Jobing, TucsonHelpWanted & have looked on Craigs List & Indeed.

So I have some questions:

What are the top/major employers in Tucson? (besides Raytheon, that’s a given.)

What are the names of other local companies to possibly apply to?

If I have to resort to this route---what are the best temp/staffing agencies in Tucson to use?

For those of you who have been or are in my shoes, do you believe in following up on resumes by contacting the employer either by phone or e-mail?

Any other websites, resources, companies that I may not have thought of? Has anyone ever used USAjobs for government jobs?

Any insight, tips, would be greatly appreciated----job searching is depressing! Unfortunately, more so here in Tucson as I've noticed that employers pay a lot less for similar type jobs in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM

529 posts, read 2,394,208 times
What field of employment are you searching in? The reason I ask is because you will probably get more helpful responses from people in certain job markets.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving-to-AZ View Post
Hey, everyone, just moved to Tucson & I am finding it hard to find a job here. Was wondering if anyone could offer some advice and/or tips to aid in my job search. I know that the job market sucks right now & Tucson isn’t exactly a ‘big’ city but I’ve applied to almost two dozen places with no response. I’m starting to feel like I may be doing something wrong.

I have my resume posted on all the major sites—Monster, Career Builder, Hot Jobs, Jobing, TucsonHelpWanted & have looked on Craigs List & Indeed.

So I have some questions:

What are the top/major employers in Tucson? (besides Raytheon, that’s a given.)

What are the names of other local companies to possibly apply to?

If I have to resort to this route---what are the best temp/staffing agencies in Tucson to use?

For those of you who have been or are in my shoes, do you believe in following up on resumes by contacting the employer either by phone or e-mail?

Any other websites, resources, companies that I may not have thought of? Has anyone ever used USAjobs for government jobs?

Any insight, tips, would be greatly appreciated----job searching is depressing! Unfortunately, more so here in Tucson as I've noticed that employers pay a lot less for similar type jobs in other cities.
Yep, looking for a job IS depressing...

Largest Employers

Tucson Help Wanted - Search for the best Tucson jobs. - Home Page

Find a job at our Tucson Job Fair on September 9, 2008 (http://www.nationalcareerfairs.com/monster/job_fairs/details/AZ/Tucson/September/9/2008/ - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,959 times
Are there still people that actually commute to Phoenix for work?

I would think back when gas prices were lower more people did that, but what a drive that would be back and forth everyday.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Are there still people that actually commute to Phoenix for work?

I would think back when gas prices were lower more people did that, but what a drive that would be back and forth everyday.
IMO that's been always insane, never mind gas. What's the point of wasting your life and half your salary on gas now as well...? Unless you make 100K there as opposed to 50K here. And if you do, go live there...

Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael krotchie View Post
What field of employment are you searching in? The reason I ask is because you will probably get more helpful responses from people in certain job markets.
That's very true. My husband works in the auto body industry, and when we got out here last summer, no one was hiring. He had a lot of people telling him that they'd want him to start in September (or later). Luckily he ended up finding something, but it was tough for the first month.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:36 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,234,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
IMO that's been always insane, never mind gas. What's the point of wasting your life and half your salary on gas now as well...? Unless you make 100K there as opposed to 50K here. And if you do, go live there...
It takes about 2 hours to get from Tucson to Phoenix right?

That would be one heck of a commute, 4 hours a day just driving. And if anyone is still doing that with these gas prices my gosh. When I used to live in Phoenix I know there were some people commuting up from Tucson, I don't know if they just loved a certain job so much, or was it that Tucson didn't have the right job for them.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
It takes about 2 hours to get from Tucson to Phoenix right?
At least...

Quote:
That would be one heck of a commute, 4 hours a day just driving. And if anyone is still doing that with these gas prices my gosh. When I used to live in Phoenix I know there were some people commuting up from Tucson, I don't know if they just loved a certain job so much, or was it that Tucson didn't have the right job for them.
Well, it's their business. To me it's totally insane. I resent the 11-mile commute I got now.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:55 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,229 times
What kind of work do you do? What field are you in? What kind of experience do you have? There may be things right there for you but we don't know what direction to point you.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:34 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,896 times
I'm really not in a particular field or industry. I have worked in customer service & my previous job was more of a call center type job--HATED it but paid well--but that was also in Colorado where the pay scales are a lot higher than here for similar jobs. I know I will not find my 'ideal' job right away--whatever that is---so now after 2 weeks, I am going to have to take another route to get by. I am someone who is very picky when it comes to finding a job too, so...

I know there are some resorts here & I'm very sick of working in an office, so I was thinking of maybe going that route. Can anyone give me a list of the names of all of them? At this point, I may just have to take a teller job or something. Have found that there are not many options here in Tucson---or else I'm just not looking in the right places?

I don't want to do what I've always done or similar jobs that are on my resume--I am looking for a change. But of course the job sites & some companies pick up on keywords on your resume & call you about the same type of job you're already doing. I hate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
What kind of work do you do? What field are you in? What kind of experience do you have? There may be things right there for you but we don't know what direction to point you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson