U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 03:06 PM

3,052 posts, read 8,746,017 times

Advertisements

Does Tucson have a huge growth spurt like the Phoenix area does?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 06:15 PM

9,507 posts, read 28,348,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Simple answer, Mopac,

Growth . . . YES but nothing compared to the growth of Phoenix . . . THANKFULLY!

Old 06-28-2008, 07:14 PM

42,835 posts, read 82,129,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Well, I'm not sure how it compares to Phoenix, but Tucson has certainly grown quite a bit. I know for a fact Phoenix went way crazier during the housing boom, though; thus, their housing market has bigger problems now.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:39 AM

46 posts, read 137,903 times
I wouldnt even compare the two JMO

Old 06-29-2008, 05:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,425,802 times
Sore subject.

Tucson's metro is growing at a MUCH (yes, the emphasis was needed) slower rate than Phoenix's metro. Many Tucsonans love the fact that their metro is growing at a very slow pace when compared to almost all other Sunbelt cities, but still complain that the region is growing too fast. Some say that Tucson is quickly turning into Phoenix or even LA, when that couldn't be further from the actual truth.

Marana and Sahurarita are really the only suburbs of Tucson that have experienced exponential levels of growth in the past two decades (Marana's population went from 13,000 in 2000 to 33,000 in 2006, Sahuarita from 3,200 to 13,000 in that same period).

A major difference between the two cities is that many up here in the Phoenix area have a very pro-growth and development attitude, while many in Tucson have a more environmental, "no development is good development" type of attitude. I'm not sure if you've been to AZ, but that attitude is definitely reflected in the built environment of both cities. The city of Tucson tends to have a significant amount of unattractive, old development, except on the far east side of town (which Tucsonans complain incessantly about) and in some ritzier in town neighborhoods, while Phoenix tends to be the exact opposite with mostly new development, and a few areas of old, run-down, unattractive development. Tucson suburbs from Oracle, Marana, Oro Valley, the Catalina Foothills, and the far east side are MUCH more attractive, IMO. These are where the Tucson area gets the majority of its growth. I think the city of Tucson has an incredibly small growth rate of something like 2 percent a year, even though many residents want to act as though it's 20 percent.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:03 PM

602 posts, read 1,900,043 times
Well, I lived here from 96 to 98, and then just recently moved back. I see significant growth from 98 to now. Pretty much in all directions. Yes, Marana is much bigger, as is Oro Valley, and Catalina. I was surprised to see so much development south of I-10, and it extends pretty far east. Vail and that general area has grown a lot as well.

Sure, it's nothing like Phoenix, but as with a lot of other folks, I liked the fact that it was a fairly big city, population-wise, but retained a much smaller town intimacy.

I can easily see that that might be a thing of the past in another ten years. I suspect the area between Catalina and Oracle to be all built up next.

I still love it here though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson