Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,970,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
They do not replace your existing headlights. There are 2 ways to set them up-one where the extra lights are the same power as your driving lights aimed lower to view the road and help avoid hitting animals.doing it this way those lights will go off when you apply your brights.The other way is having them brighter then your normal driving lights,but they can only be used when you use your brights.
Thanks. So they're legal, I take it... Is it expensive to have them installed? Sounds like it involves altering the vehicle quite a bit. What I said could very well be dumb, but please keep in mind I'm EXTREMELY technically challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM

514 posts, read 1,436,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Thanks. So they're legal, I take it... Is it expensive to have them installed? Sounds like it involves altering the vehicle quite a bit. What I said could very well be dumb, but please keep in mind I'm EXTREMELY technically challenged.
legal only if installed how I stated. Can be expensive,all depends on what lights you go with.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 AM

522 posts, read 1,564,478 times
Quote:
legal only if installed how I stated. Can be expensive,all depends on what lights you go with.
This is not entirely correct. According to the US Dept. of Transportation, you cannot run fog or driving lights with bright lights and you cannot opperate any car on public roads without headlights. So It doesn't matter whar kind of auxiliary lights you add to your car, you cannot use them with or in place of bright lights.

You will see this on all cars built with factory installed fog or driving lights since the early 70's. If you turn in these lights, they are wired to turn off when you turn ion your high beams.

This doesn't mean that you cannot put lights on your car differently. It is done all the time. Very few police officers would know if you had this correct or not. It is very common for people to add HID lights to cars that did not come with them noe. It is not legal to change your headlights to anything that is not OEM. This includes HID, projectors, E-reg type, etc. but it id done very commonly. It is also illegal to put those headlight bulbs in that glow blue. Anotherwords, anything that is not DOT approved is illegal. This includes fog ot driving lights. Not that this stops people from doing it.

I have used E-reg lights in my cars for the past 25 years and have aftermarket projectors in my Grand Caravan. I have never even been questioned about it. So I would say put them on.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:43 AM

514 posts, read 1,436,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
This is not entirely correct. According to the US Dept. of Transportation, you cannot run fog or driving lights with bright lights and you cannot opperate any car on public roads without headlights. So It doesn't matter whar kind of auxiliary lights you add to your car, you cannot use them with or in place of bright lights.

You will see this on all cars built with factory installed fog or driving lights since the early 70's. If you turn in these lights, they are wired to turn off when you turn ion your high beams.

This doesn't mean that you cannot put lights on your car differently. It is done all the time. Very few police officers would know if you had this correct or not. It is very common for people to add HID lights to cars that did not come with them noe. It is not legal to change your headlights to anything that is not OEM. This includes HID, projectors, E-reg type, etc. but it id done very commonly. It is also illegal to put those headlight bulbs in that glow blue. Anotherwords, anything that is not DOT approved is illegal. This includes fog ot driving lights. Not that this stops people from doing it.

I have used E-reg lights in my cars for the past 25 years and have aftermarket projectors in my Grand Caravan. I have never even been questioned about it. So I would say put them on.
I think you mis read what i said.I never claimed you use these fog/aux lights without your normal lights.

I said the fog lights will turn off when you hit your high beams,now the aux driving lights which are brighter then your normal head lights can only be used with the high beam.. Now, if you want to debate that again be prepared.
My one car that only has fog lights,turns off when high beams are used,the other car has fog and aux driving light,when we drive this car the fog lights are on with low beams and when you click high beam those lights turn off and the aux driving lights come on... This is how the factory did it,so it must be correct ond in conjunction of the laws.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,576,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Very valid points, SickofIL . . .

One point needs clarification . . . I believe DOT allows no more than FOUR BEAMS (usually two on each side) to be illuminated at the same time so aux lights are legal only if the vehicle has single high beams and not the more popular four beam arrangement. Also, there is a height restriction for all lights (usually no light is allowed to be above the factory headlights).

However, your point that most cops would never notice and/or bother is right on.

I sure hope all this makes sense.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM

522 posts, read 1,564,478 times
Yes. You are also not allowed to have headlights below 24" (minimum height) A good thing to know when you build cars like I do.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:18 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,322,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clnconcpts View Post
Its dark out here.Driving at 2 am on houghton rd south of the 10 is very dark

Tucson, in general, has always had a dark sky ordinance, which leaves it being one of the darker cities in Arizona. This is because of the nearby Kitt Peak Observatory. Another "dark skies city", Flagstaff, AZ, has Lowell Observatory right smack in the heart of that city.

Those who wish to look up at the starry skies and enjoy them can do so with little interruption from bright lights. In other words, they take a dim view of "white light" in general. Although, I'm sure that your "fogs" would be okay.

Most likely, Las Vegas would not qualify as a dark skies city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson