Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,349,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellringer View Post
Go back and reread my posts. I'm the one who corrected the erroneous info about Tucson DQs being closed for the winter. I contributed to the bread thread. I warned someone against moving into some apartments that border a very sketchy complex of townhomes. I helped another person find a nice restaurant. Also, I started the Labor Day plans thread. That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there is more, and I only joined last month. Oh yeah, and on a postive note. . . I know how to spell!

Belle, you are FUNNY! Love this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Belle? How do you know I'm not a man. You know what happens when you assume?

Belle, your profile sez you're a female...

Old 09-04-2008, 12:52 PM

415 posts, read 1,681,439 times
Quote:
Belle? How do you know I'm not a man. You know what happens when you assume?

Well, 'cause in your profile it states that you are female. No one EVER lies on an anonymous forum.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:27 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,605 times
Every city/town has "ghetto" parts. Hmmm...I would say a better way of putting it would be rough around the edges part of town. I have to say though, I lived in the NW part of town and I totally loved it! Not only that I hear that Oro Valley is a great place to live as well. There wasn't a shortage of jobs when I was there, but that was a few years ago and the economy is different now. If there is a shortage of jobs, it has nothing to do with the area, yet the economy. It's tough everywhere you go. Can you compare Tucson with Phoenix? Hardly. Tuscon isn't as big and doesn't have as much going on as Phoenix does. sierraAZ is right, there is no accurate view of Tuscon or any place for that matter. It is all about your perception. One person may deem it great (as I) or another may believe Tucson to be awful. I did like the fact that Tucson wasn't too far from Mexico. You can go there to shop for neat little things and bargain with the locals. Tucson is in a valley, and it has beautiful surroundings. A travel up to the mountains and you can escape the heat. It's the best of both worlds! This is my view on Tucson though, you, yourself can be the only one to paint your own picture of Tucson.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Every city/town has "ghetto" parts. Hmmm...I would say a better way of putting it would be rough around the edges part of town. I have to say though, I lived in the NW part of town and I totally loved it! Not only that I hear that Oro Valley is a great place to live as well. There wasn't a shortage of jobs when I was there, but that was a few years ago and the economy is different now. If there is a shortage of jobs, it has nothing to do with the area, yet the economy. It's tough everywhere you go. Can you compare Tucson with Phoenix? Hardly. Tuscon isn't as big and doesn't have as much going on as Phoenix does. sierraAZ is right, there is no accurate view of Tuscon or any place for that matter. It is all about your perception. One person may deem it great (as I) or another may believe Tucson to be awful. I did like the fact that Tucson wasn't too far from Mexico. You can go there to shop for neat little things and bargain with the locals. Tucson is in a valley, and it has beautiful surroundings. A travel up to the mountains and you can escape the heat. It's the best of both worlds! This is my view on Tucson though, you, yourself can be the only one to paint your own picture of Tucson.

Could I have said it any better?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,515 times
To answer Dreamfollower
In terms of living a safe, simple and productive life {employment needs to be considered}, is the Tuscon area only for the semi-retired or for those interested in job, social and leisure elements combined?
There is no shortage of Jobs in Tucson. You just need to look closely.
Many companies in Tucson don't widely advertise jobs, my suggestions is depending on your trade, do it the old fashioned way. Find a list of companies that would need someone with your skills and inquire/apply personally with each. It will pay off in the end. Also you may check craigslist, this is pretty popular in Tucson. Find forums with people having similar skills or work experience in Tucson too and ask them if they know if anybody is hiring.
Social element it depends on what your wanting. Dance and party scene, only with college kids. Good old fashioned bars to have a couple of beers and meet some people. Plenty, and folks are more than willing to talk.
leisure-Tons of places to visit. Little known fact, most of the celebrities come to Tucson to get away, or for dry-out etc. Mainly because it does have much to offer and they don't have to worry about getting mobbed by people. They get treated like humans here.
Can't really give you a comparison to Phoenix except you will feel like your in a small town comparatively. Oh ya and lots of one way streets!!!!
Moderately priced homes are mostly in Vail, Valencia West, Maranna, and some along the north west side of river road. If your not looking for new developments, check out the East side of town. Sorry guys where I come from I don't consider Rancho Vistoso area of Oro Valley to be moderately priced, I haven't checked into them in the actual town of Oro Valley though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
This is my view on Tucson though, you, yourself can be the only one to paint your own picture of Tucson.

I definitely agree with you on this. However, I encourage that before painting the picture, persons new and old to Tucson, should make sure they gather an accurate view of all areas. Tucson is in many ways several little towns inside of one and in many ways it is one big town. It offers the advantage up however, that most cities don't, of being able to get outside your 5 block radius. Most of the negative postings I have seen are from those who refuse to go outside their 5 block radius. The rest are from those that don't seem to have a very open mind. (i.e. the same kind that see a hard working person from Mexico and assume they are an illegal)
To give an example of the block to block style life the park on Glenn between Campbell and Country club is one of the cleanest parks I've seen in middle class Tucson, only two blocks away at Campbell and Grant a lady was attacked at a bus station. Heck my sister in-law lived right across from Winter Haven and had a drive by shooting. Let's face it, we are not going to get away from crime no matter where we live. If we choose not to involve ourselves in lifestyles that bring about crime, we are less likely to become victims of it. (note: I said less) I lived for 8 months in Scotia Group Managements 2nd worst complex (straight from the mouth of their corporate offices) and never once so much as had my car scratched and met several beautiful people in the mean time. I wouldn't let my 4 year old go out to play by herself and was quite disgusted personally that many of the parents did, but I never felt unsafe taking her outside to play. If we think crime and gangs are bad here, let's take a trip to Harlem or to areas of Denver. You'll see the exact same thing. Even better yet let's go to Sidney Nebraska. When I left there 4 years ago they were in the top ten for Meth production in the U.S.! and it wasn't much bigger then Benson. My picture of Tucson, don't be cocky and aggressive and you'll get along just fine no matter where you go. Do your research by driving around and talking to people, Most are more than willing to give you the upside and downside of their neighborhood. If you have kids hit up the parks in different neighborhoods with them. Chat with the other parents a little. You can check out Tucson's crime maps at TPD too, but be careful I have a good friend with TPD and he says alot of the areas of town the input people don't do their jobs so the maps are slightly skewed.

Ok now that I'm off my soap box about bias views.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson