Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 AM

207 posts, read 799,377 times

Advertisements

The opinion on Tucson seems to run the gamut, from "wonderful" to "ghetto".

Of course, this is probably speaking to specific areas which may fall into either of the two categories.

In terms of living a safe, simple and productive life {employment needs to be considered}, is the Tuscon area only for the semi-retired or for those interested in job, social and leisure elements combined?

How much worse or better is Tucson than the downtown areas of Phoenix?

What are the areas of Tucson that have moderately priced houses, yet incorporates the elements above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,346 times
The opinion on Tucson seems to run the gamut, from "wonderful" to "ghetto".

Because of the great influx of people, I guess that Tucson has become either a love-it or hate-it town, based pretty much on your age, skills, income, previous experiences, and personal wants and needs.

Of course, this is probably speaking to specific areas which may fall into either of the two categories.

Correct.

In terms of living a safe, simple and productive life {employment needs to be considered}, is the Tuscon area only for the semi-retired or for those interested in job, social and leisure elements combined?

Tucson has been a university town for over 100 years, so there is much youthful energy here, and the semi-retired (or retired) just happen to be another major part of it. Davis-Monthan Air Force Base has also been in that mix since 1927, and the age differences are what help to make Tucson's job, social and leisure elements "wonderful".

How much worse or better is Tucson than the downtown areas of Phoenix?

Not exactly sure how you mean that, and it also depends on who you talk to, but Tucson's downtown area is being revitalized due to longtime neglect. Downtown is actually like a mall of its own, complete with shopping and restaurants, but is mainly alive and happening during the work week. There is a beautiful historical district, and many people do live there, and many will tell you they absolutely love it.

What are the areas of Tucson that have moderately priced houses, yet incorporates the elements above?

There are many pockets of both good and bad, and one needs to seek out their own areas for these "wonderful" nuggets, which do exist. Others here have given several links to aid your search. The very best to you.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:10 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,683,062 times
Beautifully stated, ZonyPony!

One additional point . . . How much worse or better is Tucson than the downtown areas of Phoenix?

Would anyone compare Los Angeles with Bakersfield? New York City to Albany?

Old 08-06-2008, 02:21 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Beautifully stated, ZonyPony!

One additional point . . . How much worse or better is Tucson than the downtown areas of Phoenix?

Would anyone compare Los Angeles with Bakersfield? New York City to Albany?
Downtown Los Angeles with Bakersfield? LOL.. I think I can do a better job comparing downtown Gila Bend to downtown Seattle!

Old 08-06-2008, 02:29 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,683,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Downtown Los Angeles with Bakersfield? LOL.. I think I can do a better job comparing downtown Gila Bend to downtown Seattle!
Come on, Mike . . . I was still on my first cup of coffee. ! ! ! !

Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM

7 posts, read 33,769 times
I believe it is because Tucson can be both 'wonderful' or 'ghettto' depending on where you are. If you have the money (300K + homes) the Foothills is very nice. There are also many bad areas in Tucson, and there are pockets of "ghetto" throughout Tucson. It is very easy to be in a nice area, drive 2 miles down the road and be in a shady area. And it seems the bad areas have grown signifigantly in the last 10 years. There is definitely an increasing problem with violence here in my opinion. TPD recently announced they are adding more officers at night to crack down on violent crime. Check out azstarnet.com for local news.
That being said, there are many nice, relatively safe areas here as well. The desert has beauty in its own way, especially now during the monsoon rains when everything greens up. It's not for everyone though, and can be pretty dry and drab at times.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 AM

6 posts, read 26,544 times
Tucson is geographically huge, enough to have something for everyone. My daughter, who grew up in Tucson but went to ASU and now lives in Phoenix, calls it "Bohemian." Whatever.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:43 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
There are no "accurate" views. Everything in life is a matter of perception.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:38 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
There are no "accurate" views. Everything in life is a matter of perception.

I perceive Sierra's statement to be accurate.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:12 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
I perceive Sierra's statement to be accurate.
You'll learn to agree with Sierra one of these days! Whoever hasn't has been kicked in the rear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson