Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 36,737 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live up in Payson, AZ, and are in the process of trying to sell our home so we can move down to Oro Valley, where it's a little warmer in the winter. My wife is not especially fond of the monsoons up here in Payson, but I'm afraid they might be a little more continuous and severe in Oro Valley. Is there anyone living in Oro Valley who can give us a little insights? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 01:45 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,571,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burckhart View Post
My wife and I live up in Payson, AZ, and are in the process of trying to sell our home so we can move down to Oro Valley, where it's a little warmer in the winter. My wife is not especially fond of the monsoons up here in Payson, but I'm afraid they might be a little more continuous and severe in Oro Valley. Is there anyone living in Oro Valley who can give us a little insights? Thanks!
From my very limited experience with Payson, Burckhart . . . I believe the Monsoons are a little "milder" down here, however, do not move any further South or Southeast because they seem to increase in both frequency and strength as you do.

Good Luck

Old 08-16-2008, 02:06 PM

602 posts, read 2,057,195 times
I think the Monsoon is a bit overblown in general. It's just more rain than Southern Arizona gets in the other 10 months of the year. By and large, it's just a slightly increased average rainfall for the months of July and August. July averages 1.82 inches, and August, 2.10. Still well below what most places back East experience in a given month.

So, to answer your question, they seem no big deal to me. Just greens the place up nicely, and cools things off in those afternoons when there is some precip, and you'll love Oro Valley. It's just a nice environment.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:12 PM

187 posts, read 977,451 times
I lived in Oro Valley for about twelve years, I do not see why people make an issue of monsoons especially if they have ever lived in other parts of the country. There were times some of the roads were washed out because the washes flooded, particularly on La Cholla and Tangerine but Oracle and La Canada have bridges over the washes anyway.

The monsoons in Tucson are just typical thunderstorms some parts of the country deal with on almost a daily basis. I always enjoyed the monsoons, it was a welcomed break from the otherwise dry conditions.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,321,068 times
How bad are the monsoons in Oro Valley?

They have monsoons in Oro Valley? I thought the town council outlawed them?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 PM

602 posts, read 2,057,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
How bad are the monsoons in Oro Valley?

They have monsoons in Oro Valley? I thought the town council outlawed them?
Don't be a Negative Nabob about the OV, 'cause it's nice here, and we don't take kindly to no poormouthin.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,486,839 times
We used to live in OV. I was so excited to experience monsoons when I first moved there--I couldn't wait! While they were good thunderstorms, they were nothing more than what I'd had in many other places I'd lived, so that was a bit disappointing!

The main difference is not in the storm itself. It's in the fact that they don't have storm drains and that washes go right over roads so it looks quite dramatic not only in the washes, but over some of the roads as well. That part was pretty cool.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,537,668 times
Unhappy Monsoons are worse in Colorado

We just got back from our condo in Oro Valley to our place here about an hour west of Colorado Springs. It actually rains longer, heavier and more violently here in Colorado, and we call it a "monsoon" also, as it's actually precip from the Pacific. We had one heavy thunderstorm while we were in OV and there was some minor flooding, but both here and in AZ, the rain comes down harder and faster than the ground or the storm drains can handle, hence the flooding. But, it's actually no big deal. It's worse here in Colorado.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:52 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,006,147 times
Is this year's monsoon kinda lame? It's only my second summer here, but it seems like we had a lot more storms last year.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,537,668 times
It seems like it is. From what we saw, not a whole lot of rain, but the lightning show was awesome. But, then again, we're in OV. There might have been more rain in Tucson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson